E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What you don't like on your E60

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cooled seating. We need that in the south during the late spring, summer, and early fall months.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

this should be called "what do you like on your e60" for me. top 5 off the top of my head:

5. trunk opening fast no biggy, trunk hard to manually close, annoying. if you think it's easy to close and are using the top of the trunk to close it, go look at the top of your trunk and i guarantee you will see small dents from pushing it down with your hand.

4. hvac controls do suck. maybe if you live somewhere with predictable climates, but try living somewhere with 70 degree swings in a 7 day period. from AC to heater to AC to heater is very annoying and dangerous to go screw with that system. on that note, AC sucks in texas weather and that's really more annoying than the hvac controls themselves.

3. cupholders. my bicycle has a better cupholder than my bmw.

and the biggest two that really account for 99.994% of my frustration:

2. reliability is HUGE for me, but obviously variable depending on your car. i've had my car 7 months and had NINE pretty major issues since i bought the car. it has been about a problem a week for the last 3 months.

1. mpg is my biggest complaint. i get 15mpg in my 2007 530i no matter if i floor the car or literally let my grandmother drive it. i've had loan cars--two 2010 328i with less than 20k miles. one got 21mpg and the other 13mpg. i also got a 750li that got 11mpg. i think bmw mpg in each car is just erratic and inconsistent.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5

Hallo, zusammen... !

Here's my list.... some of it may feel like deja-vu, I'm sure:

1. Adjusting the climate through iDrive sukks big-time!
Why can't there be knobs like in my previous E46? Apart from that, I really like the iDrive... I wish they just made the climate controls manual again;

2. Turn signals are always hidden
- no matter how I adjust the wheel and/or seat. Have to admit, I'm a rather tall guy (6'5"), and having the seat in any but the lowest/backmost position is an absolute no-no. Still, it stinks!!!

3. One thing that no one has really mentioned yet: the door storage compartments are a (bad) joke!
You can't really put anything in there securely (...unless you use a nail gun to make it stay...), and the middle armrest storage is lousy at best. Don't intend to move my living room into the car, but having more space for "stuff" would be swell...

4. I'm actually rather disappointed that I'm driving a car with almost 300 horsepower, but have a hard time to "get it going".
Once it's picked up speed, it's fine and drives just awesome. Didn't realize this would feel as bad as it does now when I test-drove it. If I had known, I'd chosen a 535i for sure (no money for the 550 or M5 - those will have to remain a dream for some more time, I guess )

5. White "steam" coming from the exhaust seems a bit excessive - especially visible in wintertime, of course, and when standing at the traffic lights.
My car seems to be "steaming" like no other around, even after driving for 30+ minutes already (=engine warm). The steam doesn't have color (just light white) and does not smell for anything suspicious... so it's not a serious issue, I hope;

6. Every single BMW Stealership I've been to thus far - and I've seen a lot - was taking me for a fool with no clue whatsoever...
In short: unfriendly, overpriced, or flat-out not owning my trust. -- Bummer! Last two I've tried were actually the best, and it might be getting better. However, I'll keep avoiding them as much a possible also in future and stick with Indy Shops instead...

On the POSITIVE side:

- LOVE the gas mileage (19mpg / 29mpg... as advertised)

- LOVE driving in "Sport" mode, which changes the entire driving experience;

- LOVE the awesome body style... sure looks like a million dollars! :-)

- LOVE after-market parts & modding options

"Hallo, BMW... Mach' jetzt mal was, damit das alles bald besser wird!!! "
(Just in case BMW Germany drops by and reads our laundry list of (minor/major) issues... he he!)

Cheers.... Armin
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
...trunk hard to manually close, annoying. if you think it's easy to close and are using the top of the trunk to close it, go look at the top of your trunk and i guarantee you will see small dents from pushing it down with your hand.
How I solved the trunk closing problem. 16 bucks if a lot for a bent piece of metal, but it is heavy and is nicely powder coated. The screws for the frame could be a little longer but it works OK. Yeah, I know, it needs a wash.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/trunkhandle.html
Attached Thumbnails What you don't like on your E60-closer.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

What I don't like is the Idrive, I want individual buttons for every functions. Maybe I am old fashioned since I see a lot of other manufacturers have done it as well. Although, on the F10 they are coming back with some of the buttons.