E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What you don't like on your E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
I generally have no problem with some of the issues folks are pointing out here, but others ring true for certain.

5. Window quality - this I have a complaint about.... the front side glass is of very poor quality. I can see waves and ripples in it that you'd never see installed in a Honda, Toyota or freaking Pontiac.

7. Dealer maintenance..... Jesus... need I say more? Service advisors act like you are an inconvenience to them when you bring your 26k mile car in for major maintenance it shouldn't need.

8. Throttle response - there is a short delay between slamming on the gas and the car actually going! Is this normal? This causes slight sphincter puckering at certain times!

Not sure how I forgot these key points.

My front drivers-side window is starting to peel/shed a layer of "laminate"

and +1 for pjinca's comment about the paint quality.. subpar AT BEST.. chips too easily.. protective film almost mandatory..
Old 01-25-2011 | 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i Mpkg GT3 HEAVILY Modded.. Nearly all track T-Reg (Wife Mobile) R8 <- Soon

Strange shifting patterns.. Sometimes it feels as if it is in the wrong gear..
Old 01-25-2011 | 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT Sports Wagon Cold Weather/Premium Packages iPod Nav

1. The Nav system. It's a $1900 option but a $200 Garmin will run rings around it. And it takes me forever to put a new destination in or find a car parts store, for instance.

2. The cupholders. When I bought my 05 X3, I couldn't believe it was possible to have worse cupholders than that. Oh, how wrong I was!

3. I wish I could control the heated steering wheel from the FRONT of the wheel. I hate reaching around to the side. Minor, yes. But an annoyance just the same.

4. The Clark Griswold Family Truckster station wagon comments that I get from people. "Why would you want a station wagon?" My neighbor made a wise-ass remark like that. He drives a Honda Odyssey. ??? Think I should take him for a little ride in the country?

But this is the 5th BMW I've owned and by far, the coolest, fastest and most fun to drive.
Old 01-25-2011 | 07:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i It's Black on Carbon Black, Aluminum, HUD, CWP, NAV, M-Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
2) Those with a HUD can enable the turn signals in the HUIB via NCS code changes
3) See me Rear Seat Heat retrofit in DIY

4) I think this can be changed with the NCS code changes but I have not tried it.
Can you provide details on changing NCS code to enable the turn indicators? They're alwaysd hiding behind my wheel.
Old 01-25-2011 | 08:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by blue_uhuru
1. The Nav system. It's a $1900 option but a $200 Garmin will run rings around it. And it takes me forever to put a new destination in or find a car parts store, for instance.

2. The cupholders. When I bought my 05 X3, I couldn't believe it was possible to have worse cupholders than that. Oh, how wrong I was!

3. I wish I could control the heated steering wheel from the FRONT of the wheel. I hate reaching around to the side. Minor, yes. But an annoyance just the same.

4. The Clark Griswold Family Truckster station wagon comments that I get from people. "Why would you want a station wagon?" My neighbor made a wise-ass remark like that. He drives a Honda Odyssey. ??? Think I should take him for a little ride in the country?

But this is the 5th BMW I've owned and by far, the coolest, fastest and most fun to drive.
Trying to enter a destination with the stupid wheel is painful. We need a TOUCH SCREEN.

I don't understand the cupholder beef. I use mine regularly for soda cans or med size fountain drinks and have never had any trouble. I wouldn't put a Big Gulp or super size drink in the thing, but still. Am I missing summin?

I get the same "station wagon" teasing from my buddies, but once they go for a ride, they clam up.
Old 01-26-2011 | 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by dlight
Can you provide details on changing NCS code to enable the turn indicators? They're alwaysd hiding behind my wheel.

Go check out the E60 parts and mods section and the forum's DIY section. Lots of active info their to get you what you need - literally within the first 20 threads you should find topics on car coding, new menu options, NCS test results, etc. One of them has a great page or 2 with how to get started, how to search fo more info, etc.
Old 01-26-2011 | 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
I don't understand the cupholder beef. I use mine regularly for soda cans or med size fountain drinks and have never had any trouble. I wouldn't put a Big Gulp or super size drink in the thing, but still. Am I missing summin?

I don't put Big Gulp sized cups in it either, I never drink soda anyway. However, when I get my coffee in the morning it seems the cup never fits quite right or deep enough into the cupholder and the cup always tilts one way or another. Which means I sometimes get drops of coffee on my center console, which sucks. This happens whether I get a Starbucks coffee (open hole in top of lid) or any other place that has the little clips that cover the hole in the lid. It's annoying and I've never had a car do that before. Having an additional 2 cupholders in the back seat like every other sedan sold in America would be nice too - I do have kids.

(BTW - I agree, someone who drives a minivan should NEVER criticize another person's car choice. Once you buy a minivan you are admitting your life is now over and you've succumbed to automotive death and are just waiting for the real death to come)
Old 01-26-2011 | 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by pjinca
I don't put Big Gulp sized cups in it either, I never drink soda anyway. However, when I get my coffee in the morning it seems the cup never fits quite right or deep enough into the cupholder and the cup always tilts one way or another. Which means I sometimes get drops of coffee on my center console, which sucks. This happens whether I get a Starbucks coffee (open hole in top of lid) or any other place that has the little clips that cover the hole in the lid. It's annoying and I've never had a car do that before. Having an additional 2 cupholders in the back seat like every other sedan sold in America would be nice too - I do have kids.

(BTW - I agree, someone who drives a minivan should NEVER criticize another person's car choice. Once you buy a minivan you are admitting your life is now over and you've succumbed to automotive death and are just waiting for the real death to come)

Maybe I am the only one that doesnt mind the cup holders... I like that they are hidden until you need them... I do have a gripe about Starbucks cups always spilling but I think thats more of a Starbucks issue than BMW. Even a large D&D coffee fits in the cup holder. And as for the back seats, I am not sure about the other models, but my kids love the rear of the 545i - it has a pull down arm rest with storage and 2 big cup holders.

And x1,000,000 on the minivan thing!!!!
Old 01-26-2011 | 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Maybe I am the only one that doesnt mind the cup holders... I like that they are hidden until you need them... I do have a gripe about Starbucks cups always spilling but I think thats more of a Starbucks issue than BMW. Even a large D&D coffee fits in the cup holder. And as for the back seats, I am not sure about the other models, but my kids love the rear of the 545i - it has a pull down arm rest with storage and 2 big cup holders.

And x1,000,000 on the minivan thing!!!!
Is it possible that the cup holders have changed post-LCI? My car is an 08 LCI and I have cup holders in the rear (pop out of the center arm rest) and no problems with the dash-mounted pop out cup holders in the front. BTW, I don't normally drink soda - I drink the hell out of soda water. You get the burn and the bubbles of Coke/Pepsi, etc, but no calories, sodium, aspartame or other nasty crap :^)

And as for the minivan thing.... ehhh... it doesn't mean your life is over necessarily. With three young kids, I kind of have no choice but to own some sort of "transport" vehicle and a slick mini with AWD and all the bells and whistles, such as a Toyota Sienna is sort of the best compromise. A large SUV can't easily acommodate more than two kids as easily as a mini with dual sliding doors and tons of seating/cargo configuration options. And when I say "own", of course, I mean I bought the Sienna for the wife and AuPair to drive for the benefit of the kids

I bought a touring because I make frequent car parts runs for my E30 M3 and I do minor home improvement projects that are really made much more convenient with the ability to easily transport larger than average or awkward items. I love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything (until the day before factory and extended warranties run out - on or about Sept 2015!!!)
Old 01-29-2011 | 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

weather striping at the top of the windshield and around the back glass.

Quick Reply: What you don't like on your E60