E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What you don't like on your E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Cup holders and lack of storage.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

My main annoyance is that there's something new wrong all the time and the car is presently in the shop on the 10th day; can't wait to see the bill! I guess this is the price we have to pay for such a technologically advanced piece of kit, at a time where windows-style automatic online updates still aren't the order of the day.

Other than that, I'm missing a temperature gauge and the base (European) 6 speaker system cannot play loud enough. The windshield wipers can be rather noisy and the price is high.

But there is no question in my mind, that this is the best car I've ever owned and though I hated the bangle designs for years, especially his first 7 series, this car has really grown on me and I'm in no hurry to change to an F11 where the gigantic, upright Peugeot-style nose bothers me a bit, even if the shoulder lines are nice.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Agree with the most you've mentioned. Some tips for you:

Originally Posted by healthservices
No temperature Gauge
It bugged me too, but I realized the temperature gauge is completely useless. The water temperature in the cooling system doesn't say anything about the engine. What's important is the oil temperature (takes more time to reach the optimal temp.). Only M5 has an oil temperature meter. There's a workaround to find out whether your oil is in the optimal range. Check Oil level in iDrive service settings. If the computer can't read the level, it means it's not hot enough yet.

Needing to double pump the door handle to get out...
Are you referring to the auto-lock when driving off, or do you lock the inside manually with the dash button? You can't be locked or have auto-lock on and open the door with one pump. Doesn't make sense. What would be the lock for then? You can also turn off auto-lock in iDrive settings to open the door with one pump.

Needing to use the key remote to unlock the rear door to get my daughter out because I forgot to use the central unlocking. Basically I hate that opening the drivers door from the inside does not unlock all doors.
You can disable auto-lock and keep everybody's door open or just don't lock the car. If you're mostly locking the car because you're worried about the environment around, then it makes no sense to open all doors with the driver door when leaving the car - all passengers would be then automatically in danger (hijack, threatening, etc.).

The cheap peeling paint on the interior bugs me a lot.
Yes, especially on the M-steering wheel :thumbsdown:
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

The squeeking and creaking from the rear seats is very very annoying, even sitting in the back while the wife drives I can't pinpoint the problem. The peeling paint on the M-Steering Wheel, just looks cheap.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Members

Rear traction when its wet.
Not having fully electric seats.
Hardly any Saloons having split fold rear seats

Apart from that brilliant!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 AM
New Members

So, summing up, major complains are due to wrong or not suitable specs of the cars.

As for me, I have an xdrive with normal steering wheel, good engine and full electric comfort seats with loads of adjustments (actually to much ), so

for me the issues are:
1) "tough" trunk cover - but I will try to adjust it, and I hope it will help
2) no sunglasses storage, however I am getting used to it

And that's it
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

Originally Posted by kreveta
1) Trunk difficult to close without touching the outer side/paint (using inner handles either too strong close or not strong enough to close)
This license plate trunk handle will help with this issue. Too bad BMW didn't offer an automatic trunk closer on the E60, like MB did for their E-class.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

My biggest complaint is the cupholders, I can't buy coffee at Starbucks anymore because their open lids always spill in my car. Other annoyances are the lack of a temp gauge, lack of an oil pressure gauge, and the far too short list of standard features for a car this price - when even the Kia Spectra comes with an iPod interface, c'mon BMW throw us a bone here
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

I've been impressed with ours. Ride wise, handling, and all of that- it feels great. But it's in the shop... again.

Second time in 18 months, and while I guess that's not bad- it's not that good either. I've got an 11 year-old Ford truck in the garage right now, that didn't make any unscheduled pit stops in it's first 8 years (not even for a battery) between zero and 94,000 miles.

I would expect BMW to exceed that performance.

I have a friend that used to work in the BMW call center, and she said after that experience, she'd never own a BMW. Me personally, I don't want to be without one... at least not right now. I'll let you know once I get this latest repair bill- I might take it and trade it on a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L w/NAV.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Members

I think the pros far out weigh the cons. One thing that does bug me is the fact the DPF will need changing at 120k, and it aint cheap! the peeling M sport steering wheel trim is not good enough for a marque like BMW.

The main one though is the different spec vehicles. I wish i held out for more toys on mine, although the spec is pretty good, i should have looked out folr HUD, logic 7 and comfort access.

But for a big diesel saloon, boy its fast!

Quick Reply: What you don't like on your E60