E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i LCI N53

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
I'm going to chime in on this because I recently did the "secret sport button mod" and I do indeed have the stiffened steering. I have a 2008 535XI.

Thanks also to rackhacker for telling me it worked on his car so I went and did it. I'm so sad that I listened to other people saying it wouldn't work on the LCI cars when I first got it a few yrs ago or I would have done it right away.

Anyways, summary of what I did:

1) did the sports transmission flash (This changed my DS to S so it's always "sport".. I don't need the DS anymore in my opinion). That was a good upgrade to start off with

2) I did the "secret sport button mod" On the LCI models USA version, you go into the glove box, remove the cover, and there is a white box above the actual row of fuses. You short pins 7 and 9 with a temporary switch.

** This enabled sport mode, and the active steering. However, NO SPORT listed on the dash

3) Went and looked and KOMBI for coding, and found FDC_VERBAUT and set it to aktiv.

** This enabled SPORT to show up on the dash.

So now the tight steering really sucks, I went to the SAT post and read this:

GESCHWIN_WERTE_SPORT_KGM
wert_02
wert_05
wert_06

STROMWERTE_SPORT_KGM
wert_02
wert_05
wert_06

I'm going to give it a shot to fix the steering while I wait for the button to come in and mount it. The one I have is not so pretty and I did it as a quick test first.

Here's my impressions though:

1) Sports mode does increase the pedal sensitivity across the board.

2) It is only slightly faster on my "S1" sports mode transmission flash.. which is also related to pedal responsiveness being better.

3) It is a WORLD of difference better in the regular "D" drive mode which is what I wanted.

4) A MAJOR bummer was that I was hoping D mode would stay that way, but with sports and D mode on, it is limited to 5 gears, not 6.

5) The tightened steering wheel is awesome for driving, but pretty rough for the slow speeds.. I hope the last set of codes worked.

6) If just this button was responsible for all this.. I might have not bothered coding the SAT flash.. but I have a feeling they all work in conjunction since a lot of people have mentioned increase in steering wheel effort, but no increase in transmission.. this is probably why they said not to do it in the first place.

As everyone said.. do it.. it's a different car! (Oh right, I also have JB4 in.. so it's cheating since it's even better with the JB4) Hehe
The SAT flash does make a difference, they are totally different map, I done the SAT conversion with flash and coding, and paddles if you push the SPORT button and push the lever into DS, use the paddles (or manual shift on gearshift) then compare the manual shift with SPORT mode off (using button) and you know what I mean, lightning up and downshift with throttle blip, similar to a VW DSG box. Unfortunately the user manual doesn't explain this at all I only found out myself.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

One comment that I have yet to test out a lot completely... is that with sport mode on it does not upshift at wide open throttle.

So definitely in the manual mode... I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure it'll still change eventually, BUT on the regular "S" mode with sport on, it does not shift in 3rd? I had this happen twice.. drive it nicely in sport with "s" mode and it'll shift, but floor it and it seems to hang into redline on 3rd gear? I had to let off and it shifted and get on it again. I thought this was weird and I did it again the next day. So it seems that it holds the gear, hits redline, traction control light goes off.. and then I let off. Odd...
Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

One comment that I have yet to test out a lot completely... is that with sport mode on it does not upshift at wide open throttle.

So definitely in the manual mode... I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure it'll still change eventually, BUT on the regular "S" mode with sport on, it does not shift in 3rd? I had this happen twice.. drive it nicely in sport with "s" mode and it'll shift, but floor it and it seems to hang into redline on 3rd gear? I had to let off and it shifted and get on it again. I thought this was weird and I did it again the next day. So it seems that it holds the gear, hits redline, traction control light goes off.. and then I let off. Odd...
That doesn't sound good.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
That doesn't sound good.
Yeah..a but scary..but I also have no time or opportunity to test it more since I commute to work and there is always traffic. In drive mode with sport on it does seem to go straight to 7k redline to shift. The issue is I can't test wide open throttle much especially for the same mode. Whenever it isn't wot it shifts fine. The two times I noticed it in the same mode I felt it go past the power curve and my jb4 shift blinker went off at 6k as well.. ( that's preset )
Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Yeah..a but scary..but I also have no time or opportunity to test it more since I commute to work and there is always traffic. In drive mode with sport on it does seem to go straight to 7k redline to shift. The issue is I can't test wide open throttle much especially for the same mode. Whenever it isn't wot it shifts fine. The two times I noticed it in the same mode I felt it go past the power curve and my jb4 shift blinker went off at 6k as well.. ( that's preset )
When in sport mode and going WOT it won't shift till redline pretty much. This of course is about 1k rpm past ideal shift point. The two ways to fix that is to either shift in manual mode or get a ST kit that'll hold high boost at high rpms. When you are just mildly driving around town with sport mode on then it'll shift around 3500/4000 rpm. In the end more throttle input the higher the shift point.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 AM
New Members

What's an ST kit if you don't mind me asking? I don't do well with abbreviations since my mind has too many associated with the same words. Good to know it was just past the power band and is supposed to do it.. since the rpms climb so fast the car felt like it fell on it's face.. maybe the traction control is part of the jb4. Either way it was a bummer.. yes manual mode itself is fine. Also Drive in sport mode is now also good.. and I could always have the "S" mode without sport. so many options now.. haha. I do like the throttle responsiveness however!

I haven't yet opened up the files to see if I could code the extra lines for the steering wheel. It was a warm weekend so instead I did a rear brake job. Funny how the Idrive said 30,000 miles left.. which was.. definitely untrue. by my eyeball compared to the new pads I was down to 20 or 30% left.

Since I mentioned it.. it's off topic, but the rear calipers needed 18mm sockets, which I conveniently only had in 3/8" size and broke it. Also to bleed the brakes I needed an 11mm wrench.. which I also don't have that odd size so had to use an adjustable. I would have liked a better wrench than that.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530 xiT

I'm intrigued by this mod and will be trying it on my wife's new (to her) 530xiT after I pick it up on Saturday. I'll be using the Z4 sport button to retain an OEM look and will be interested to see if it really does something different than just kicking the tranny over to DS. I don't think I've ever driven any of the 4 BMWs I've owned over the years in D.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:03 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Anyone have a problem with Tilt Steering not working after doing this mod? My guess is one of the plugs was improperly connected after reassembling the center dash.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Yes. I believe it's the module/controls right above the ash tray that's probably not connected.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 6MT M-sport 550i
Default 2008 LCI 550i manual transmission sport mode button

This his how I did mine. I didn't like the thought of it being down near the shifter. I plan to go back and use the Z4 button but as of right now I'm pretty damn happy with not having to buy a sprint booster.
$2 button from radio shack. I added the wires and plug to it.
Name:  PLRmi5X.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  14.2 KB
Everything apart
Name:  7sAZ6K2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  38.8 KB
Take a coupe measurements using landmallrks.
Name:  RkC3lkW.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  15.8 KB
Name:  8EDBi2L.jpg
Size:  19.2 KB
Drill it out, move up one drill bit size until the button fits snug
Name:  a2KpHQw.jpg
Size:  22.3 KB
Name:  6FXTzFJ.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  20.2 KB
Name:  qMwC4VF.jpg
Size:  15.6 KB
Name:  VaqmDQX.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB
Then make room for the button and wires using drill/rat tail file combo
Name:  g4GG7RO.jpg
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  tCztds1.jpg
Size:  24.1 KB
Make a little harness to run from the connector in the fuse box to the button. I got the 3 wire harness from Frys Electronics, then cut and extended it. The yellow wire will be used from illumination if I decide to change the button later.
Name:  h0VImai.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  nffEPGv.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  22.9 KB
Find the gate plug in the glovebox and remove the cover. Pry outwards on the tabs where the pic is inserted and also just below. Pull back gently while doing this and the plug cover will slide off. Then pin the harness you make into slots 7 and 9.
Name:  Lmt0BuZ.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  Ebe8biG.jpg
Size:  24.6 KB
I ran the wires from the connector down and towards the center console, then up to the radio area. I shined a flashlight from the passenger firewall back towards the radio to get an idea on where the wires should be routed. I took out the passenger under dash cover to make it A LOT easier.
Name:  CZP0uPf.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB
Name:  OSn4A82.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB
Plug the harness wires into the connector at the button and pop the panel back into place.
I wanted to have a connector near the button so I could easily disconnect it and move it out of the way instead of having to depin the connecter in the fuse box and pull the whole harness out if I ever had to take that panel off for some other reason.
Name:  KZqp9Ft.jpg
Size:  34.2 KB
Name:  Ad6joTQ.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  34.8 KB

Last edited by as240; 12-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be