E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:56 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

The OEM button is nice but not necessary at all. You can get a good inexpensive momentary button
For a few bucks without a light at any PC supply. I chose to hide the MOM switch and look for the
sport indicator light to confirm the feature is active..

I did the sports button mod at the same time I did the intake and exhaust and iim loving it for now..
Gas mileage sucks..
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi

Bump!

I have the BMS Powerbox installed for my 2006 530xi and based on the videos and posts, it seems that my transmission is already performing as if I had the Sport button. One difference is that I don't feel any steering weight difference. With my BMS Powerbox set to performance mapping on, and throttle mapping on, the upshifts & downshifts are much smoother, and the car stays in the powerband better.

With that said, I just ordered the switch and will report back once I've installed it. If it does work, it'll be the best $20 spent ever.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I have the BMS as well. If you have it set to 3, the initial response on acceleration would be doubled. To me it seemed really jerky. Definitely something you want turned off in normal city driving. As far as steering weight difference, that might depend on what options you already have in your car so you may or may not notice a change.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

I may be late to the game, but holy shite this hidden sport mode is real! Everything that everyone has been saying is legit. With sport mode on, the transmission stays in each gear way longer, steering gets heavier, and damn near instant throttle response above 2000 RPM! For those of who you've driven the current gen M3/M4/M5/M6, it's basically the same as putting those cars in SPORT+ for transmission & steering.

This hidden sport mode is not the same as putting the car into DS mode at all. Sport mode acts exactly the same in D mode or DS mode. I also have the BMS Powerbox installed, so I don't know how the Sport mode performance would be different with it, but I don't want to know

My only beef is that the steering is way too heavy for a parking lot. It's as if you don't have power steering at all in a parking lot. But when you're driving on the roads at 30mph+ speeds, the steering is weighted nicely. But just like the current gen M cars with steering weight in SPORT+ mode, it is way too heavy for low speeds, making parking into a spot damn near impossible. I wish the steering feel was only 50% heavier.

Throttle response is night and day when above 2000rpm. The Steptronic transmission knows which is the perfect gear for the speed you're going at. If it isn't, give it a bit of gas, and the transmission shifts down fast and away you go.

Now the only question is, how come BMW never advertised this Sport mode feature, but yet went to all the trouble of programming it and even making the console parts. My theory is that with Sport mode on, the steering weight is wayyyy too heavy for use at low speeds.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535xi Touched by TURNER
Model Year: 2009
Engine: n54
Default If you have Cobb is this any benefit

My questions are
Q1 if you have a Cobb will the button/mod Benefit in any way

Q2 I saw an add on for a pedal to increase response ...
If I do this "mod" since I don't have the sport button will it do the same type of thing.

Originally Posted by dbond
- "At a touch of a button it becomes one of the very best ..." - Clarkson

Tactile, responsive are probably not the words that come to mind when you are behind the steering wheel of a big 4 door sendan such as E60. May I present you THE button to change your perception of E60. The button that transforms 5' to a vehicle BMW engineers meant to be. Before bean counters and MBAs got their hands on the blueprints.

It's called FDC (Fahr Dynamic Control).

Here is what BMW have to say about FDC:

"Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) can be selected with the SPORT button in either automatic mode or manual mode. FDC is always deactivated when the engine is started.
When Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) is activated with the SPORT button, shift times for gear changes are reduced by the SMG control unit. In addition, in automatic mode the SMG only shifts into the next gear up at higher engine speeds. The DME unit adjusts the accelerator-pedal values. The engine responds quicker to changes in the accelerator pedal position. The system also switches "Servotronic" or "Active steering" option to a more sports-oriented characteristic. Steering and holding forces on the steering wheel are given more sporty settings."

But don't get discouraged - FDC is available on all E60. Here is the proof. You are looking at '07 E60 530i manual shift. Shorting FDC contact to the ground for a split second activates more crisp throttle response, steering becomes heavier in a good sense, and I'm sure on automatics trans shift points higher at any gear. And you get SPORT in the instrument cluster!

To disable FDC mode short contacts again.
Everything you need to get it done is in attached files, both pre-LCI and LCI E60s.

Home work: part numbers for Sport button and trim pieces.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for your speeding tickets! Nor for burned down control modules. Take it to a pro if you don't feel confortable tracing digrams or connecting wires.

Last edited by rackhacker9275; 11-13-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: This site suck on iPhone
Old 11-14-2015, 08:13 PM
New Members

Default to be clear...

I'm also searching this post like a fiend to find info on LCI..
am correct in reading the diagram as i need to sort pins 9-7 on the stated A169 (Center Console Switch)
id like to do this tomorrow

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Take a step back and review to make sure it is making sense ...

The right diagram is the BMW standard WDS schematic ... the lower part that has pin #7 & #9 clearly stated A169 (Center Console Switch) which make sense due to the location and if you search all over A169 is the Center Console Switch = the switch box itself.

As I mentioned it before BMW uses signal not an on/off on their wiring so when you short the 2 contacts on the Center Console Switch box then Center Console Switch send the signal to those boxes behind the glove box ... so unless we now what kind of signal the Center Console Switch send to those control boxes doing it directly on those boxes won't do anything.

Or let see if we look at from another view to maybe make it more sense ... on the real thing (the car that may come factory equiped dunno somewhere) the FDC (sport) button has wiring that goes to the plug on the back of the A169 the Center Console Switch which what the right diagram laid out you'll find no indication anywhere that the wires from the FDC (sport button) goes directly to any control boxes behind the glove box.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by blinkme_210
I may be late to the game, but holy shite this hidden sport mode is real! Everything that everyone has been saying is legit. With sport mode on, the transmission stays in each gear way longer, steering gets heavier, and damn near instant throttle response above 2000 RPM! For those of who you've driven the current gen M3/M4/M5/M6, it's basically the same as putting those cars in SPORT+ for transmission & steering.

This hidden sport mode is not the same as putting the car into DS mode at all. Sport mode acts exactly the same in D mode or DS mode. I also have the BMS Powerbox installed, so I don't know how the Sport mode performance would be different with it, but I don't want to know

My only beef is that the steering is way too heavy for a parking lot. It's as if you don't have power steering at all in a parking lot. But when you're driving on the roads at 30mph+ speeds, the steering is weighted nicely. But just like the current gen M cars with steering weight in SPORT+ mode, it is way too heavy for low speeds, making parking into a spot damn near impossible. I wish the steering feel was only 50% heavier.

Throttle response is night and day when above 2000rpm. The Steptronic transmission knows which is the perfect gear for the speed you're going at. If it isn't, give it a bit of gas, and the transmission shifts down fast and away you go.

Now the only question is, how come BMW never advertised this Sport mode feature, but yet went to all the trouble of programming it and even making the console parts. My theory is that with Sport mode on, the steering weight is wayyyy too heavy for use at low speeds.
You can sort the heavy steering with coding. It was way too heavy when I made the mod, after the Change it stays heavy over 30 mph but then lightens up below this making it easy to manoeuvre/park.

Don't have the exact settings to hand but if you can't find it on google let me know and I'll dig it out 😀
Old 11-16-2015, 04:51 PM
New Members

Default LCI Sport Button Mod easy QUICK Walk through its worth it...

Ok WOW

So after A CRAP TON OF SEARCHING

1 if you have an "LCI YOU WILL NOT GET THE "SPORT" ICON ON THE DASH TO LIGHT "
it has to be done in coding.
(I'm currently looking for an experienced coder to remote-in. I have laptop and software & cable (fair$)

2 The location to do this MOD "IS" behind the glove box, Go to page 42 and start there. (post#413-Texas Vol/Cockers thx)

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE FUSE PANEL.....

The Basics.
1 Open glove box pull the pins for the arms drop it as far down as it will go, that should give you plenty of room to work..

2 There is a small clip on the left side if the white box (the top one) gently tug on black plug (attached to white box) and push clip... this will release the white box..

3 Disconnect Plug and remove it from housing (gently with a small tweaker screwdriver open the clips on the other side of the plug,,,, while pulling GENTLY on the wires..it will slide out.... GO SLOW it will come off..

4 there are 2 sides to this harness (1-16) is the side you want insert the cable you Bought or made ur-self into pins 7 and 9 test..

MY Test as the "sport" Icon does not show in dash...
I started the car and turned the wheel left to right.. it was like normal kinda loosey goosey ... push the button "3 second count".... tried wheel tight as all Hell very noticeable in tension

NOTE: Sliding Cover back on, MAKE SURE U DONT PULL OUT WHAT U JUST PUT IN..

5 pull long dash panel off and run wire to desired location..

hope this helps some peeps save some time...

THE LONGEST PART OF THIS WHOLE PROJECT WAS LOOKING FOR ALL THE INFO..

this should be the link:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...127596/page42/

TESTS
Supposedly the steering gets HEAVY immediately...
I have a v3 cobb and it measures the pedal movement.. I'm going to test it ON/OFF
Will confirm this tomorrow.

TEST CONFIRMED
Supposedly the steering gets HEAVY immediately... IT DOES ITS BEAUTIFUL...

Pedal Movement.. ehh little difference... maybe do to the cobb map (Aggressive)? she's pretty quick..

is there a DIY section with clear instructions, these pages seem to jump all over the place?

Last edited by rackhacker9275; 11-17-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Updated: so peeps can get this done in 10 min not 10 hrs
Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

big question, LCI- will it make a difference on 6 speed manual's?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 PM
New Members

As Far as I'm to understand it will work on ANY e60..

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be