5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   the way E60 was meant to be (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/way-e60-meant-127596/)

dbond 11-09-2012 07:52 AM

the way E60 was meant to be

5 Attachment(s)
- "At a touch of a button it becomes one of the very best ..." - Clarkson

Tactile, responsive are probably not the words that come to mind when you are behind the steering wheel of a big 4 door sendan such as E60. May I present you THE button to change your perception of E60. The button that transforms 5' to a vehicle BMW engineers meant to be. Before bean counters and MBAs got their hands on the blueprints. :fcuk:

It's called FDC (Fahr Dynamic Control).

Here is what BMW have to say about FDC:

"Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) can be selected with the SPORT button in either automatic mode or manual mode. FDC is always deactivated when the engine is started.
When Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) is activated with the SPORT button, shift times for gear changes are reduced by the SMG control unit. In addition, in automatic mode the SMG only shifts into the next gear up at higher engine speeds. The DME unit adjusts the accelerator-pedal values. The engine responds quicker to changes in the accelerator pedal position. The system also switches "Servotronic" or "Active steering" option to a more sports-oriented characteristic. Steering and holding forces on the steering wheel are given more sporty settings."

But don't get discouraged - FDC is available on all E60. Here is the proof. You are looking at '07 E60 530i manual shift. Shorting FDC contact to the ground for a split second activates more crisp throttle response, steering becomes heavier in a good sense, and I'm sure on automatics trans shift points higher at any gear. And you get SPORT in the instrument cluster! :hyper:

To disable FDC mode short contacts again.
Everything you need to get it done is in attached files, both pre-LCI and LCI E60s.

Home work: part numbers for Sport button and trim pieces.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for your speeding tickets! Nor for burned down control modules. Take it to a pro if you don't feel confortable tracing digrams or connecting wires.

BLooD 11-09-2012 08:37 AM

Sounds too good to be true, The pre-LCI instrument (KOMBI) cluster has no sport symbol and for it to show on the LCI it would need coding which you do not state anyway.

Also you miss quoted Jeremy Clarkson. Take your rubbish else where please.

dbond 11-09-2012 08:46 AM

With all due respect to your contributions to this forum you are wrong. Go and short pins 8 and 10 in SZM's X14056 then we will talk.

Originally Posted by BLooD (Post 1477585)
Sounds too good to be true, The pre-LCI instrument (KOMBI) cluster has no sport symbol and for it to show on the LCI it would need coding which you do not state anyway.

Also you miss quoted Jeremy Clarkson. Take your rubbish else where please.

phlfly 11-09-2012 09:21 AM

So what is point of this you I can move my selector grear to DS (automatic tranny). Can you explain please?

Sanco 11-09-2012 09:45 AM

More clarification on this please, any more pics of the install and possibly a more detailed DIY

lciaccio 11-09-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sanco (Post 1477592)
more clarification on this please, any more pics of the install and possibly a more detailed diy

+1

BLooD 11-09-2012 01:53 PM

Give me video proof instead of photo shopped pictures.

dbond 11-09-2012 04:26 PM

phlfly 11-09-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dbond (Post 1477640)

So again So what is point of this you I can move my selector grear to DS (automatic tranny). Can you explain please?

sanjsanj 11-09-2012 05:13 PM

i.e. what's the difference between this and using DS mode?