E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Update on Performance Woes from 20.01.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='232599' date='Jan 31 2006, 05:00 PM
I feel for you Znod.It looked loke things were improving ,but todays results are disheartening.I am still in limbo with my problem.The warehouse sent the incorrect headlight so I must wait until tomorrow for the repair.They are still saying if the headlight doesn't correct the problem they must do the software update.I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.If I wind up with 20.01 and lose performance maybe we can present a united front and come at BMW from 2 locations.Maybe they will start listening.
Yes, it is very disappointing. I was really enjoying the performance of my car, testing, modding, etc. Thanks, and keep us posted on what happens. Fingers still crossed.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Znod' post='232632
This run was consistent with my prior best of 4.03. So, I concluded immediately that my meter is not yielding slow times. You can quit reading now if you want since this is the part that pertains to 20.01.00.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='232632' date='Jan 31 2006, 02:28 PM
I suggest that if you have things of a critical nature to say to me that you PM me. I don't appreciate your public comments and gross exaggerations. And, I don't think that you are in charge of what people post and where. If you think that my threads and posts are too far a field, then I suggest that you report them, give your rationale, and suggest that they be removed or censored. Also, if you are not singling me out for criticism, then you will be kept very busy telling everyone when they have posted incorrectly in the various forums.
Not sure what gross exaggerations you refer to. It's just that I'm finding lately that the board is becoming cluttered with a lot of long, confusing posts (and I'm not the first to make that comment--here's a thread, for example: ), many of which are OT and not posted in an appropriate subforum--which takes away from the enjoyment of this great forum, because the established structure that's intended to act as a filter for us (so we don't have to read about racing times or new wheels or people's vacations if we don't care to) isn't being followed, so you end up reading through pages of unrelated discussion, only to get through it and realize it had nothing to do with what you were interested in.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I rip my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME encoder @ 256kbps VBR--download & instructions here:
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

Then I normalize volume using MP3Gain @ 94dB:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I use Nero to burn CDs.

Using a high quality encoder makes a lot of difference. The encoders in Musicmatch, iTunes, etc. are low quality.

BTW--shouldn't this be in the lounge????

Busta, I could not agree more.

Not to pick on Znod (or is it vnod...or donv...or... ), but replying with quotes when you're the first replier is really a bit much, and lots of people do it!

I also include sarcasm and the inappropriate us of signatures to run others down to fall under the headings of flamming, direspecting, etc.

When these things happen to me, I state my displeasure politely...

I also try to promote no flamming; always being polite to others; and never disrespecting others, their opinions, or their preferences...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey guys whats going on? All those things that Znod posted were all relevant to the E60. I for one was very interested in his findings. Its hard to believe that 20.01 will make the cars performance worse.

All the test he did was to either show it was or was not related to 20.01. Either engine management, DSC, or transmission learning curve. I thought, probably like everyone else that read this post and other post of this, that his car was slowly learning to be fast again but this doesnt seem like the case now. Everyone is hoping that its not the software that has detuend the car. It very well might have been the G-Timers fault and so Znod tested that against his Vett which he knows what times he can get. Posting the Vetts time here is fine. Its proof to show that the G-Timer is functioning properly. Posting times of the Vett is sure heck better than just saying ok the G-Timer works...

When you quoted others that complain about junk being posted... the "Civility" thead is not about Znod. Its about others that come in and say junk. I dont want to point fingers at James Bond but thats what roadfly posts are like not Znods.

Thanks for the update Znod... Hope your car will improve and I will NOT get 20.01. Maybe V21 will fix this lag. get a new update ASAP. I mean it cant be worse than this one...

Originally Posted by stream' post='232614' date='Jan 31 2006, 02:10 PM
Not to get on your case, Znod, but there are subforums for a reason. It seems you just put every post in this subforum, which defeats the purpose of subforums--to keep the board organized by topic. This post either belongs in the competition or the lounge. It really has nothing to do with the E60.
Which post should be in the subforum? This 20.01.00 or the Z06 part? Doesnt matter Neither needs to be in the lounge. The Z06 was referenced to the G-Timer and to say if its working or not. The G-Timer was used to time his E60. Its a direct connection to troubleshoot what the real problem is... the G-Timer or 20.01. VERY E60 related. Ya so he went a little more into detail. So what? I wouldnt expect him to post and go yes the G-TImer works and then start a new thread in the competition forum giving out his times on the Z06. Things like this can be consolidated together.

Things that should go into the lounge are things like I farted in a meeting today.... that has absolutely no connection to the E60 or waaaay too extreme and stretching it to make a connection to the E60.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I apologize for being sarcastic. I knew I had done it and meant to do it. I even realized that you would have filed my reply to evenflow away for future reference and use. And, I let it go knowing full well that you would use it.

You are right; I don't live up to my own words always. Sometimes I become annoyed enough not to do so. And, you have been annoying me. I have nothing more to say on the matter except that your rebuttal is without much substance and that your gross over generalization, which is what I was referring to when I said you are very confused, is in bold below.

"Not to get on your case, Znod, but there are subforums for a reason. wink. It seems you just put every post in this subforum, which defeats the purpose of subforums--to keep the board organized by topic. This post either belongs in the competition or the lounge. It really has nothing to do with the E60."

Give it up. Just PM me if you want to give me a suggestion in the future.

EDIT: As indicated by Stream, I edited this post after some had read it, but none had responded by then.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Well, Stream, this thread might now be turning into a thread about where to post what, and not about v 20.01. May I respectfully suggest that the two of you deal with it via PM or with one of the site Moderators so that the rest of us can focus on reading updates on v20.01.

I love you both. Can't we all get along?

Staying on target: I, too, am disappointed with 20.01, and log in a few times per day to look for Znod's update on his progress. I could write in my own observations each day about 20.01 but I can't come close to adding the value that Znod has, with his technical data and analyses.

Keep it up Znod, and thank you. You have, IMHO, gone above and beyond to share your research and knowledge. And if you and Grogan need/want to do a conf call with BMWNA to complain about v20.01, let me know- I'll offer my complaints as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='232747
Things that should go into the lounge are things like I farted in a meeting today.... that has absolutely no connection to the E60 or waaaay too extreme and stretching it to make a connection to the E60.
I agree exactly. The lounge is for BS. I could have posted my Z06 results in the competition section, but what would the point have been? My Z06 experience was a consequence of testing the meter; some serendipity just came along. Anyway, I wanted to share my elation with the majority. No harm no foul. And, I appreciate your support.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cattman' post='232765
I love you both. Can't we all get along?
Yes, I can get along with anyone to a point. We love you too.

Originally Posted by cattman' post='232765' date='Jan 31 2006, 09:00 PM
Staying on target: I, too, am disappointed with 20.01, and log in a few times per day to look for Znod's update on his progress. I could write in my own observations each day about 20.01 but I can't come close to adding the value that Znod has, with his technical data and analyses.

Keep it up Znod, and thank you. You have, IMHO, gone above and beyond to share your research and knowledge. And if you and Grogan need/want to do a conf call with BMWNA to complain about v20.01, let me know- I'll offer my complaints as well.
You are very welcome, and thank you. I would like to hear more about your experience--at least if you have anything to add to what you said above. Check out my reply to EBMCS03 above for a tiny bit more info.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

With 20.01 the car is slower not just in a straight to 60 sprint as Znod's tests indicate, but when cruising at 30 and you punch it to 70, it's slower. It "kicks" down a gear not with the old immediacy, but after a hesitation- like a turbo lag feeling. With the "old" software I never had that moment where the car seems to say "gee, the driver really needs to accelerate fast, let me think about that, wait, wait, wait, ok" lag. I hate it.

I feel cheated, like this is not the car I bought. I'm pretty pissed off actually.

My SA knows very little if anything about the upgrades but doubts that BMW would intentionally slow down the car. I asked if it might be to create an artificial difference between my 545 and 550. He said no. He said slowing my 545 (and all e60's) would ultimately rob resale value, which doesn't benefit BMW.

We need more data to support this, and then we can make a case.
BMWNA- any response?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Znod' post='232759
You are right; I don't live up to my own words always. Sometimes I become annoyed enough not to do so. And, you have been annoying me. I have nothing more to say on the matter except that your rebuttal is without much substance and that your gross over generalization, which is what I was referring to when I said you are very confused, is in bold below.

"Not to get on your case, Znod, but there are subforums for a reason. wink. It seems you just put every post in this subforum, which defeats the purpose of subforums--to keep the board organized by topic. This post either belongs in the competition or the lounge. It really has nothing to do with the E60."

Give it up. Just PM me if you want to give me a suggestion in the future.
A few minutes ago this post said you had nothing more to say to me (imagine my relief), and then you edit your post. At least you're consistent--another confusing post. Talk about being annoying (using your word)--to quote a well-respected forum member (do you think he is very confused as well?):

Znod, with all due respect, your posts are the most confusing I've read on this board.

And now they've gone from confusing to being insulting--not a good trend. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Update on Performance Woes from 20.01.00