E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='268456' date='Apr 13 2006, 01:24 PM
In fact.... Darwin should have already weeded you out of the gene pool.
It's natural selection not Darwinian selection dude...
Old 04-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by niktee' post='268150' date='Apr 12 2006, 01:10 PM
I agree, Rudy, that change is often good, but in BMW's case, I often get the feeling that they enjoy creating solutions or "improvements" for challenges that don't exist. Ithink the eternal turn-signal is one prime example.
If you are having that much trouble with the turn signals and your window goes up and down with out any problems use the very old method when you wanted to make a turn,THE HAND SIGNAL,problem solved.
cheers
vern
Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='268481' date='Apr 13 2006, 02:42 PM
If you are having that much trouble with the turn signals and your window goes up and down with out any problems use the very old method when you wanted to make a turn,THE HAND SIGNAL,problem solved.
cheers
vern
Not this one though...it might cause more trouble than just not indicating:
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

The new issue of Automobile Magazine is just out. They list their first impressions of the new 3 series and right at the top is their great displeasure with "directional and wipers stalks that return to neutral positions" after engagement.

So, we aren't alone. They'll probabaly notice the ashtray and gas filler flap eventually--the Microsoft genius of start to stop or push to pull...And then there is the software upgrade that inverts the preset arrow function on the steering wheel. Ya gotta love it.

Ray Hull
Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It's natural selection not Darwinian selection dude...

I know.... I just think it sounds funnier that way.... its like I'm implying that Darwin has mystical powers and has come back from death to collect the souls of the weak and stupid.... and inept turnsignal users.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The new issue of Automobile Magazine is just out. They list their first impressions of the new 3 series and right at the top is their great displeasure with "directional and wipers stalks that return to neutral positions" after engagement.

See? These people need to get out of the gene pool.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251069
What does bug me - A LOT - is that in my usual driving position the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn indicator lights and the clicking sound is very quiet, so for me it is easy to forget that they are activated.
Only my right indicator is blocked by steering wheel. I can see just fine the left one.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='268691' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:58 PM
So, we aren't alone. They'll probabaly notice the ashtray and gas filler flap eventually--the Microsoft genius of start to stop or push to pull...And then there is the software upgrade that inverts the preset arrow function on the steering wheel. Ya gotta love it.
Nobody said you're alone. But nobody said this should be normal. Funny thing is I find all these settings as natural as they can be. Probably I am only in my mid 30s... So maybe I can adapt very quick.

It seems normal to me how the ashtray or filler cap opens. Natural. Also why would you expect the arrow buttons to be any different then they are currently? Up is for up, down is for down.

I love them as they are. Would not change a bit.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='268772' date='Apr 13 2006, 06:56 PM
Nobody said you're alone. But nobody said this should be normal. Funny thing is I find all these settings as natural as they can be. Probably I am only in my mid 30s... So maybe I can adapt very quick.

It seems normal to me how the ashtray or filler cap opens. Natural. Also why would you expect the arrow buttons to be any different then they are currently? Up is for up, down is for down.

I love them as they are. Would not change a bit.
Big, you and Subter can languish in your very own gene pool (and that has nothing to do with denim or age)--preferably far away from me.

When one has to "second-guess" turning off something as dumb as a turn signal, while driving, there is a problem--and that's obviously been recognized by the foremost auto testers/writers in the arena. But then maybe, you and subter have enough time with your driving style to "double-click" things that should have shut themselves off. I don't, and I don't think having to go back and correct for some goofy electro-gadget engineer validates the "ultimate driving machine" moniker.

And, further, if they are designed for easy bus-accessible programming, then why the hell aren't they re-programmable back to "normal" through iDrive? Some "bus"...

Jeers.
Ray Hull
Old 04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Contributors

When one has to "second-guess" turning off something as dumb as a turn signal, while driving, there is a problem

I don't see what has to be second-guessed? It is rather simple. Yes it is different than some other cars.... but that's a good thing. Now when I drive non-BMW cars, I miss the triple turn signal. I think it's a great feature.

Quick Reply: Turn Left, Then right , Then left