E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='269128' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:16 PM
Dunno what your problem is Vern, but it's apparent that you are a consistently bad speller. If you don't like my observations, I strongly suggest you overlook them; your responses contribute nothing--except whining.

Jeers,
Ray Hull
How can I be WHINING,(spelling OK now?) when your are # 1.Give us some thing constructive in your posts,and I'll stop calling you #1 WHINER,Did it again with the spelling,I must be getting good.
cheers
vern
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='269210' date='Apr 14 2006, 11:53 PM
[...]
Your umbrage at my figurative and common phrase "safety nazi" is understandable; the Nazis were the guys who tried to improve their gene pool weren't they? I'm sure you and Subter, being so smart, can connect those references.
[...]
I have no ideea why you keep connecting me with other poster and more than this with your gene pool. I don't care about your genes or anything else. Of course, I've read the rest of the thread but the connection between those remarks and my posts it is something not clear to me.

I did not said you're dumb or smart, and because of this you should be exterminated or you should exterminate. Do you really read what you're posting?

I've explained as well as I could with my English language skills, why I do think that this system is better and you keep saying that you and other petty journalists don't like it. The reason? Not very clear, except that it probably outsmarts you. This is where you make refference to the gene pool? A rethoric question: do you like window up/down controls? If yes, why? If no, why? Then probably you'll know to answer yourself for why the blinker system is something you don't like.

Anyway, thanks for your very good advice. I will follow it. By the way, keep your irony for yourself, I tried not to offend you or anyone else, I was just expressing my views. It is easy to walk that line, for anyone. It is hard to try to bring arguments into discussions keeping the attacks on ideas, not on persons.

Oh, and I've read very careful what you posted, and still could not save myself from bad rethoric. Is there really a connection between the two?

Sorry for the off-topic.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='269177' date='Apr 14 2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks needforspeed. I hope nobody would consider my post offensive in anyway.

Okay, let me have a try...
  • it is important that the stalk will ALWAYS be in the same position, this way, you can develop a reflex whenever needing it. In some older cars I owned, it happened to forget blinker on one side then search with my hand the stalk, when needing it.
  • on highway the old system needed attention. You would have signaled a lane change, then remember to push it back to neutral. this is not the case anymore. Three blinks on a gentle push is all I wanted on highway.
  • while in town for exemple, and make a turn, I don't gentle push, I push it all the way. Except that the stalk will not retain pushed position, everything is the same as it was in old cars. The blinker will be cancelled by steering wheel turning.
  • same control logic in windows. Gentle push, will move the window partly, hard push will do it the old fashioned way. Why are you not annoyed by windows gentle/hard behaviour?!?
  • If you want to cancel a turn and steering wheel will not be turned to cancel it, you can just tap it in any direction and will be canceled.
  • I consider this driver oriented, like everything in BMW filosophy. When used to it, you won't need to do anything else.
  • Efficiency. With little learning effort you can do more.
Yes, I said above in the thread that I cannot see the right blinker led on because of the steering wheel. I got used to it, just a minor drawback.

In one older car I owned a while back, there was also an innovative system for commanding the high-beams. The stalk was also non-retentive. One click high-beams, one click low-beams. Very efficient. I could not go back to the retentive system, because I could never find the stalk when I needed it.

And yes, I know what can be hard to learn. The two stages on each direction can be difficult to explain and learn. I did not have a problem and it seems natural. I have no ideea why it took so long to have this.

My two cents.
OK big_ipaq thanks for your post.

With referenece to your first couple of points:

1. Stalk in one position

Not convinced about this. On a trad system the stalk is one click up central or one click down. Cause of auto cancel I have never had a problem 'finding' it on any car.

2. Lane change

OK - I understand this one. With a trad system you would have to manually cancel a signal after a clane change. This is not the case with triple turn activated.

3. In town

A trad system would cancel just as well, with the added advantage that (for those times it doesn't) when you bring the wheel back to centre you can flick the indicator back without ever taking your hands of the wheel.

4. Windows Comparison

Fair point

5. Cancellation

This was just as easy with a trad system

6. Driver orientated

Can't see how this is any more of a driver aid than the old system.

In summary, I sort of see your point. However, I still think this is not a fundamental driver oriented change. Unlike the auto on wipers and headlights (which are great).

Having said all this - I can work them fine and apart from having to check they have cancelled cause of the poor ergonomics of the turn indicators, I am quite happy with the system now.

To all those other posters getting exited about this...

get a life....
Old 04-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

needforspeed, again I am thanking you for this debate. I appreciate your questions and your posts in general. I am glad to see, even we may have different opinions, that we can discuss and share our views. Thank GOD.

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='269226
3. In town

A trad system would cancel just as well, with the added advantage that (for those times it doesn't) when you bring the wheel back to centre you can flick the indicator back without ever taking your hands of the wheel.
Wait, wait, wait. When you bring the wheel back to the center, the indicator will cancel itself with both systems. Why would you want to touch the blinker stick? Oh, and yes, there are seldom cases when you want to cancel the signal, and now indeed, you need to know if you really need to tap the stalk or it will just go away itself. If you pushed it all the way, it's not a problem, but if three blinks are activated and you do not know you just pushed it gentle, it can go in the other direction. Althrough it happens very very seldomly, it seems that my routine prevents me to do this. I probably wait to see if it cancels itself or if turning the steering wheel along with the stalk, will start the undesired opposite blinking, another tap in the same direction will surely cancel it. It just a routine, I am surely once it is understood, can be learned in few hours. Many would not need more than few minutes.

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='269226
In summary, I sort of see your point. However, I still think this is not a fundamental driver oriented change. Unlike the auto on wipers and headlights (which are great).
I did not said "fundamental", of course you can live without. But you can live without big engines or big and nice cars. You can live without many things, but why are we then buying BMWs and we loose time on public forums discussing about them? Small things make a great design, and this is IMHO one of them. Probably US freeways are different, but on German Autobahns, blinker system is far more important than auto headlights. Auto wipers yes, this is probably the most fundamental of these three. But all are technical advances, which can more or less improve safety, pleasure of driving and comfort.

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='269226' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:53 AM
Having said all this - I can work them fine and apart from having to check they have cancelled cause of the poor ergonomics of the turn indicators, I am quite happy with the system now.
Completely agreed. Do you have trouble with both left and right? Funny, I am 185, and I drive with the wheel all the way down. Of course when stopping the engine it rises, but I can see the left indicator, while I need to change my position to see the right. Anyway, the body is not quite aligned with the steering wheel.

Thanks again, and sorry for this debate. Yes, it's a minor thing, but I felt, those badly criticizing it, don't do it justice, even it's a really good thing. Minor but as I've said, our cars are made from some big things and many small things. Someone really thought of everything tens of hours, before producing our cars. If someone believe otherwise, it's a shame. Think of interiour illumination LEDs, think of their position, think of iDrive position, think of any small thing inside our cars... Everything is well thought, measured and cut only once.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

big ipaq

On our crowded main roads into and out of London three flashes on the indicator to change lane has had the driver behind me in the lane I want to move into sit on the horn regularly because it cancels to quick, if electronics are supposed to be so good you should be able to increase this duration in the i-drive, you cannot. For that reason it is illogical and downright dangerous on urban roads.

On this site M-B come in for a lot of stick, some quite rightfully so, from my experiance they designed better indictor stalks and ones that are certainly more practical.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Big Ipaq - I have enabled triple turn activation and now am prepared to concede that the fancy new soft touch indicators can do somethin a trad system cannot.

The problem is - you have to get used to them first

Still not happy with the ergonomics in terms of visibility of the turn indicators (and the auto wiper light for that matter), but begrudgingly I will admit that the new system IS a technological improvement over a traditional system.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

But it would be nice to see a setting in iDrive that allows for a range like 3-8 blinks so we could set it to our own liking...

Nova Invicta, as for the M-B turn signal stalks, see my post #84 above...
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='271414
But it would be nice to see a setting in iDrive that allows for a range like 3-8 blinks so we could set it to our own liking...
[...]
Well, I would like this, especially would not be too complicated to implement. But I am not so sure about what effect this would have. I use soft blink (let's invent a new term for three blinks setting) whenever I am not pushed from behind, or I will use two soft blinks depending on the situation. For all other situations I will use hard blink. If someone would set on 8, it would be to long without the need to manually cancel. I never feel to cancel the tree blinks manually.

When VW Touareg was launched in Europe, I did a 40 km test drive with the V10 diesel 313 bhp, and it was the first time I got in touch with such a system. I even don't know if you could cancel soft blink on Touareg, but I could use it after I've tried three times. Not problems, ever since with it. Think that cruise control also has soft tap, tard tap implemented the same way. Even the wiper's stalk has it in a way.