E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251943' date='Mar 9 2006, 05:04 AM
I disagree about Idrive being a fashion led product. It's innovation and the only people that understand it are people who have got used to it and people who grew up with Apple IIe, Amigo, Nintendo, Xbox, etc.

As for the signal, the whole car is nice and perfect that we can't find anything to pick on besides the signal. And yes, it can be debated. Good past time thread.
I'm with you on the quality of the car - it's nice that we can only find things like the indicators to worry about

I also agree that the idrive is innovative. My problem is with design quality and intent. In particular with the user interface.

The clickwheel on my ipod is a great concept, simple, intuitive and ideally matched to it's purpose. I can find what I want quickly and easily, with one hand.

I don't have any problem operating the idrive in my car, BUT it just isn't as well designed as the clickwheel:

1. You can't turn of the screen (even if you turn it off it stays backlit) which I don't like at night.
2. Some elements are just pointless (eg if you have basic AC the control for the central airvent)
3. The combination of clicks, points and spins is slightly 'random' and not intuitive.

What I do like is the radio station screen.

It does seem to me as if BMW got over exited about being innovative and forgot to make something that was actually necessary, genuinely functional and intuitive in use.

Good job they don't take that approach with engine and chassis design.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by nupe009' post='251949' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:11 AM
I guess my problem was that I didn't know that they worked the way that some of you have described. I have read my manual but I guess I skipped the section on turn signals because I figured that I didn't need to read about a turn signal. It's just a turn signal, you push it up or push it down and push it the opposite way when you are done. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'll go and read every single page of my manual because I may be missing out on some other features. For all I know I may not be putting on my seatbelt correctly.
Several years ago, a BMW salesman and I were talking about iDrive and its learning curve. He said BMWNA was crazy to think that a 7 series buyer was going to sit still for their recommended THREE HOUR "familiarization" with the delivery of his new car. He laughed and said that it was only at the (brief) time of delivery that he got to meet some executives, who had their assistants handle all the preliminaries.

So, don't be ashamed that you skipped over the "turn signals" section in the manual. I did the same for trying to close the ashtray and open the gas filler flap--same push-to-pull counterintuitive deal.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

As with any new product, the manufacturer will recommend to you:

'For your safety and to get the best out of the product, we suggest you read the instruction manual...'

It is very true, and I have done so in the past with other products I have bought and it makes all the difference. You can argue that technology should be intuitive enough that you do not need to use instruction manuals, but then that would be boring, we like technology in our cars, so if you don't understand it from the outset - RTFM!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by converted2bmw' post='252105' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:41 PM
As with any new product, the manufacturer will recommend to you:

'For your safety and to get the best out of the product, we suggest you read the instruction manual...'

It is very true, and I have done so in the past with other products I have bought and it makes all the difference. You can argue that technology should be intuitive enough that you do not need to use instruction manuals, but then that would be boring, we like technology in our cars, so if you don't understand it from the outset - RTFM!
I read the instruction manual the first night I got the car cos I wanted to know EVERYTHING it could do.

(But to be fair - the way the indicators work is NOT the most exiting bit).

I do understand the way they are meant to work (anyone who doesn't really shouldn't be in charge of a motor vehicle).

However, my question is - in what way is the counter-intuitive system in the e60 BETTER than the system in the e46 (and almost every other car)? And if it isn't any better what is it for?

It's not 'technology':

"In its most common use, technology refers to tools and machines that may be used to help solve problems. In this use, technology is a far-reaching term that may include both simple tools, such as a wooden spoon, and complex tools, such as the space station or the written sets of procedures and maintenance manuals for it."

What problem does the BMW soft touch indicator system solve?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='252109' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:56 PM
I read the instruction manual the first night I got the car cos I wanted to know EVERYTHING it could do.

(But to be fair - the way the indicators work is NOT the most exiting bit).

I do understand the way they are meant to work (anyone who doesn't really shouldn't be in charge of a motor vehicle).

However, my question is - in what way is the counter-intuitive system in the e60 BETTER than the system in the e46 (and almost every other car)? And if it isn't any better what is it for?

It's not 'technology':

"In its most common use, technology refers to tools and machines that may be used to help solve problems. In this use, technology is a far-reaching term that may include both simple tools, such as a wooden spoon, and complex tools, such as the space station or the written sets of procedures and maintenance manuals for it."

What problem does the BMW soft touch indicator system solve?
I don't think it 'solves' any problem... In fact it is stated previously somewhere in this thread, that the soft touch indicator system is 'form over function' - it's unnecessary, but it's there to try and make the E60 seem modern and high-tech, which is also why we have iDrive, runflats, Active this, Active that, keyless ignitions, HUD, etc etc.... None of which is necessary, but some (most) is useful, and 'fashionable'.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by converted2bmw' post='252143' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:52 AM
I don't think it 'solves' any problem... In fact it is stated previously somewhere in this thread, that the soft touch indicator system is 'form over function' - it's unnecessary, but it's there to try and make the E60 seem modern and high-tech, which is also why we have iDrive, runflats, Active this, Active that, keyless ignitions, HUD, etc etc.... None of which is necessary, but some (most) is useful, and 'fashionable'.
First of all, an e60 is not a necessity (necessary). It's a "want" (luxury).

Technology simiply means "the method of using/doing something." It can be counter intuitive, or not. Good technology builds upons previous technology as to not be so disruptive. BUT sometimes only disruptive technology will take us to the next level. IMO, idrive is a disruptive but good technology.

As early adopters, we have the luxury to rave or complain.

As for idrive, active this and that in the e60, BMW is doing a hit and miss on technology. BUT, they certainly are doing well with the performance and chasis of the car.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by converted2bmw' post='252143' date='Mar 9 2006, 04:52 PM
Totally agree
Old 03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Im a total techohead and an early adopter, but I do get annoyed at technology for technology sake, I disagree with "Stranger" these indicators action suck and are downright dangerous. Three indications to change lane are not enough on congested roads, and I too have tried to cancel the action only to change the direction on the indication and then do it back the other way. Its illogical.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='252319' date='Mar 9 2006, 04:42 PM
Im a total techohead and an early adopter, but I do get annoyed at technology for technology sake, I disagree with "Stranger" these indicators action suck and are downright dangerous. Three indications to change lane are not enough on congested roads, and I too have tried to cancel the action only to change the direction on the indication and then do it back the other way. Its illogical.
Well, to each his/her own. BTW, I was never referring to the 3 clicks turn signal. Read the first post. It's about the signal function not the 3 ticks that he was complaining about. And I do agree 3 is way too few. I normally hold on to it with my little finger without passing the resistance point, if I want to do a quick lane change.

It's interesting that some only took a little while to get used to it. Some after owning for a long while still cannot get it right. BMW quality problem? Each system works differently?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Up

it is really annoying me ... any body got this problem solved by BMW dealer ?

if yes ...

pls tell us how ?? is it software issue ??

I hate turing because of this problem

Quick Reply: Turn Left, Then right , Then left