E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current car: 2006 530ia On Order for December ED: 2009 335i coupe

I'm only in my second week of ownership, and I've found I get the signals cancellations correct about 90% of the time. I'm positive that the other 10% of the time the folks behind me are convinced I'm either drunk, stupid, or both.

Hopefully with the passing of time and the gaining of some experience things will get better. Love the car though!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='251262' date='Mar 7 2006, 12:07 PM
This is the real problem as far as I am concerned. The clicker is virtually inaudible and when the stereo is on, you just can't hear it at all. My Chrysler minivan has an alarm tone that sounds off if you you leave a blinker on for more than a minute or so. You'd think BMW would at least offer a similar solution. Better yet, vary the sound of the clicker based on ambiant sound levels.
YES!!! My feelings exactly!

I didn't think that I would have such an issue with not "seeing" and not "hearing" the blinkers.
Sort of like my digital camera that still makes an "audible click" as if there is a real shutter that is closing.

I've gotten used to my E60 blinkers now, but it is "mentally gratifying" to hear that others also had some grief in adapting to the new system.

Cheers,
-CoolTones
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

After the 1st day, I learned how to use the turn signals pretty well. Haven't had a problem since. Don't know what the big fuss is about...
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Come on, it's not that difficult to use . Your sales should have explained to you. It took me only 5 minutes while test driving to get used to it. I very much like this feature, as I can use my last finger to do the signalling and cancelling very easily while I hold the steering wheel at 10-2 or more likely 9-3 fashion.

Just use the little finger to lightly tap it, and the cancellation will be done perfectly.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='251515' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:39 AM
Come on, it's not that difficult to use . Your sales should have explained to you. It took me only 5 minutes while test driving to get used to it. I very much like this feature, as I can use my last finger to do the signalling and cancelling very easily while I hold the steering wheel at 10-2 or more likely 9-3 fashion.

Just use the little finger to lightly tap it, and the cancellation will be done perfectly.
I think the point is not that it is particularly difficult to use, just that it isn't better (in fact it's probly worse) than a 'traditional' system. Clearly the dashboard turn indicator position has not been designed with the driver in mind.

It's form over function and I don't think that there should be a place for that in the 'ultimate driving machine'. This sort of nonsense belongs in things like the Audi TT.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Contributors

I had the same experience when i first picked up my car from the dealer. the car behind me must be thinking what i was doing with left and right signals.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251541' date='Mar 8 2006, 04:40 AM
I think the point is not that it is particularly difficult to use, just that it isn't better (in fact it's probly worse) than a 'traditional' system. Clearly the dashboard turn indicator position has not been designed with the driver in mind.

It's form over function and I don't think that there should be a place for that in the 'ultimate driving machine'. This sort of nonsense belongs in things like the Audi TT.
Change is hard to accept. But in my opinion, it **is** better the old mechanical system since I only need to lift my last finger a little bit to operate it. The traditional system will more likely require me to move my hand to the stalk to operate. My hands now never have to leave the steering wheel, which is supposedly to be safer, isn't?

The original post talked about the use, and then it dragged into the layout. That's a separate issue. My sitting position doesn't create that problem, and I personally do not like loud click from the indicator. I inititally had the visual problem, and all I did was find another position equally comfortable. Then my problem was gone. I mean the steering has reach and height adjustments; the seat has at least 6 ways of adjustments. There must be a position where one can see the indicator on the dash. One just has to find it. No big deal.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='251581' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:56 PM
Change is hard to accept. But in my opinion, it **is** better the old mechanical system since I only need to lift my last finger a little bit to operate it. The traditional system will more likely require me to move my hand to the stalk to operate. My hands now never have to leave the steering wheel, which is supposedly to be safer, isn't?

The original post talked about the use, and then it dragged into the layout. That's a separate issue. My sitting position doesn't create that problem, and I personally do not like loud click from the indicator. I inititally had the visual problem, and all I did was find another position equally comfortable. Then my problem was gone. I mean the steering has reach and height adjustments; the seat has at least 6 ways of adjustments. There must be a position where one can see the indicator on the dash. One just has to find it. No big deal.
On just about every other car I have driven the indicator stalk clicked up for right, down for left. most auto cancel reliably, but if necessary it is usually dead easy to flick it back to the midpoint, without removing ones hands from the wheel.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, but IMO the BMW system is counter-intuitive in that the SAFEST way to cancel the indication (which generally does not auto cancel) is to press again in the same direction (opposite to most systems) cause if you press back to the midpoint you can easily end up indicating in the other direction.

The point is - what possible benefit is this system to the driver?????

Even if you don't agree it is worse - it surely isn't better - so why change it?????

Sadly the only answer is fashion.

In respect of the ergonomics, OK I like to have my seat a certain way. For good ergonomics ALL instrumentation should be visible in ALL driving positions. This IS bad design.

It's not going to keep me awake at night or anything though - and generally speaking I like change
Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251627' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:19 AM
On just about every other car I have driven the indicator stalk clicked up for right, down for left. most auto cancel reliably, but if necessary it is usually dead easy to flick it back to the midpoint, without removing ones hands from the wheel.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, but IMO the BMW system is counter-intuitive in that the SAFEST way to cancel the indication (which generally does not auto cancel) is to press again in the same direction (opposite to most systems) cause if you press back to the midpoint you can easily end up indicating in the other direction.

The point is - what possible benefit is this system to the driver?????

Even if you don't agree it is worse - it surely isn't better - so why change it?????

Sadly the only answer is fashion.

In respect of the ergonomics, OK I like to have my seat a certain way. For good ergonomics ALL instrumentation should be visible in ALL driving positions. This IS bad design.

It's not going to keep me awake at night or anything though - and generally speaking I like change
The same can be said about iDrive.

It doesn't help the driver because now we have to look away from the road and look at the screen a lot. All it does is get rid of the buttons on the dash, so its fashion right?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

WOW, I cant understand what the problem is with the blinkers, to me it was not an issue, after I used them once, I didnt have any isues. If you dont like the way they work, change them back to the old way thru I-Drive. YOU HAVE A CHOICE

Quick Reply: Turn Left, Then right , Then left