E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Memotronic' post='267316' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:49 PM
Up
it is really annoying me ... any body got this problem solved by BMW dealer ?

if yes ...

pls tell us how ?? is it software issue ??
I hate turing because of this problem
Thanks for bringing this back - I missed this thread.....

No way of changing this ... (other than disabling / enbabling triple turn on the i-drive)... you'll get used to it...

I almost enjoy it now..
Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Memotronic' post='267316' date='Apr 10 2006, 12:49 PM
... any body got this problem solved by BMW dealer ?

if yes ...

pls tell us how ?? is it software issue ??
I hate turing because of this problem

Even though it is different than it used to be on BMW's (and different from other cars) it is not considered a "problem" and therefore there is no reason that BMW has to "fix" it. That is not to say that BMW won't go back to the traditional turn signal operation some day, they might very well do that, but at least for now it is what it is and it is not a defect or a problem.

Like some others I like it quite a bit, and it really does work fine if you remember to cancel the turn signal by moving the stalk in the SAME direction that is already on, and UP TO BUT NOT PAST the resistance point. By moving it in the same direction the worse thing that could happen by going past the resistance point is that the turn signal would stay on in the same direction as it already was, instead of doing the left, right, left thing.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Just when you think that the tried and true, decades old system for turn signals is as good as it gets, BMW comes up with the abominable device that is used in my car. I can only imagine what the people in the car behind are thinking every time I indicate a turn. He's turning left-no-right!-no-left-no!-Wait-right=left-GET AWAY FROM THIS GUY! HE'S DRUNK!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the current system is an improvement over the "tried and true" system. Change isn't always a bad thing...
Old 04-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Audi have it sorted as there is a slight delay before the system allows you to do three blinks in the opposite direction. Never had an issue with this in the A4 but the BMW sytem is impossible . Still at least the Bimmer handles well unlike an Audi
Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='268091' date='Apr 12 2006, 09:35 AM
I think the current system is an improvement over the "tried and true" system. Change isn't always a bad thing...
I agree, Rudy, that change is often good, but in BMW's case, I often get the feeling that they enjoy creating solutions or "improvements" for challenges that don't exist. Ithink the eternal turn-signal is one prime example.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by niktee' post='268150' date='Apr 12 2006, 01:10 PM
I agree, Rudy, that change is often good, but in BMW's case, I often get the feeling that they enjoy creating solutions or "improvements" for challenges that don't exist. Ithink the eternal turn-signal is one prime example.
I see what you're saying about fixing something that wasn't broken but you have to look at both sides of the situation. BMW's challenge is to continue to build cars with advanced systems, etc. while simultaneously keeping production costs down so they can keep retail costs down. This new turn signal arrangement works better with the cars that they are currently building since there is less complexity (mechanical linkage, etc.) and is easier to program through a bus architecture due to the addressable nature of the switchgear.

To me, it's a good enough reason to make the switch. As always, I'll bet you'll see this type of electronic turn signal technology trickle down to the Ford's and GM's of the world in the near future. It's one of those things that's ahead of it's time so it's hard for some people to adapt to right away but eventually will become second nature and the norm for everyone...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='268375' date='Apr 13 2006, 05:06 AM
I see what you're saying about fixing something that wasn't broken but you have to look at both sides of the situation. BMW's challenge is to continue to build cars with advanced systems, etc. while simultaneously keeping production costs down so they can keep retail costs down. This new turn signal arrangement works better with the cars that they are currently building since there is less complexity (mechanical linkage, etc.) and is easier to program through a bus architecture due to the addressable nature of the switchgear.

To me, it's a good enough reason to make the switch. As always, I'll bet you'll see this type of electronic turn signal technology trickle down to the Ford's and GM's of the world in the near future. It's one of those things that's ahead of it's time so it's hard for some people to adapt to right away but eventually will become second nature and the norm for everyone..
This is the first time I have seen an explanation of WHY this might be better - thanks

No way is this cutting edge though ... the vauxhall vectra (GM) has had the same set up for at least 5 years.

I'm glad that there is at least a reason why...but I still think ergonomics should come before electronic covenience.

That said ... I'm used to it now
Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by niktee' post='268089' date='Apr 12 2006, 07:17 AM
I can only imagine what the people in the car behind are thinking every time I indicate a turn. He's turning left-no-right!-no-left-no!-Wait-right=left-GET AWAY FROM THIS GUY! HE'S DRUNK!

They think that we recently got a driven licence "he is beginner" avoid him
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

When I first got my E60, I too was confused by the triple turn signal feature. A couple of times, I couldn't figure out how to stop blinking in a certain direction if I clicked the turn signal stalk past the resistance point.

After about 2 or 3 instances of this, I figured out that you can click in the same direction to halt the signals.

This isn't rocket science, guys. It was just basic problem solving. Trial & error.

If you can't figure out how to use the turn signals, especially after a forum such as this explains it to you.... then frankly.... you must be the first generaton of your family to walk upright.... and don't deserve to drive such a fine automobile.

In fact.... Darwin should have already weeded you out of the gene pool.

Quick Reply: Turn Left, Then right , Then left