E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Kyle, please explain how you do this tracking in hours. Maybe the system tracks in hours and converts to miles in the inspection due window? I'm not sure at all but only know that the oil change due comes up in mileage. I guessing most of us are changing oil mid point though.
you guess, or use a stopwatch I change mine at 5K, have done this for 15 years with multiple BMWs.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Lol thread derailed.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by A$AP Rocky Balboa
Lol thread derailed.

If you posted it in the mod section, you probably would've gotten what you wanted.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: M54, 530i -2004,PDC,cold , luxury package,tainted,

Gatriel mentioned :

first things have to do:
- Old Gaskets and Seals
- Water Pump and Thermostat replacements
- Transmission and Differential fluid changes .

could you be more specific ...? you mean all gaskets and seals...any important ones . I know..

water pump and thermostate is on my list to do.

Suspension. : all parts. control arm, tie rod...wheel bearing shocks and struts.
thanks for reading
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: M54, 530i -2004,PDC,cold , luxury package,tainted,

Originally Posted by Gatriel
The fact of the matter is that the engines stuck inside the e60 in the US (especially the n62) leaks in every direction. For those of us with older BMWs still at home, they never leaked. But why? Why do newer German cars (because BMW is certainly not alone in this) leak like a stuck pig, and the older ones don't, nor do their Japanese counterparts?

1) Eco-friendly engine seals - BMW in its Captan Planet style quest to save the world decided to use environmentally friendly rubbers and plastics for their cars. While this is a nice thing to put in their brochures, its not going to get a Prius drivers to consider the 550i, and does nothing but screw whomever owns the car at 70-110k. However, I am not convinced that the green energy bug is what alone is causing these cars to leak.

2) "No cost maintenance" and 15k mile oil changes. So for everyone who is mocking me a bit on this, pick up the phone, give your indy a call and ask if 15k oil changes are good for your seals. I would venture to say that the overwhelming major will chuckle a little and say no. The 15k mile oil change is, in my belief, there to save money, "save the environment," and make their cars competitive against one another. I find this funny as the Japanese are laughing at the Germans on this one -- as not following suit. Why -- BECAUSE ITS BAD FOR THE ENGINE.

So while we can use anecdotal evidence back and fourth -- I'd venture to say that if you talk with your business partner about maintenance on his car -- he's likely replaced every rubber or plastic component in that engine, and in some cases -- twice.

I have no doubt that BMW has an image to preserve -- I have an old 3 series in the garage below my feet with 216k on the clock at this point, and other than ABS sensors that keep dying on it (13€ to replace for the part) it starts up, and goes everywhere I need it to. It doesn't leak a drop of anything save windshield washer fluid -- however that doesn't stop them from doing excessively stupid things. Some of you guys should google the engine wiring harness for our cars, and how the insulation just starts flaking off and falling apart.

How is it that BMW and Mercedes (because Mercedes had/has similar problems) could do wiring insulation so right for so long -- and then in the mid to late 90s we start getting crap like this? Stupid decisions related to product quality.

Ok I'm done with my rant -- to the twerp that is mocking me about signatures -- I blocked all signatures, so enjoy your monstrosity, I cannot see it. Oh, and congrats on the Cold Weather Package dude, total Fast & Furious of you.
any particular seals /gaskets must be changed

used 2004 e60 model year
bought at 131000 kms(81,875 miles)
now has 220,000 kms(137,500 miles

changed replaced air filter,
coolant
surpentine belts
pulley
engine oil synthetic
transmission oil changed and filter pan
tranny oil level was checked and level brought up.
not leaking ... Touch wood
drives very well....