E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Default Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?

Hey guys, just got my first car yesterday, a 2004 BMW 530i. Black with black interior. I definitely love the car, but I wanna add some twist to it. I'm deciding on Stane-ing it out, VIP or something but still maintain a sporty look. Sorry if I sound like a newb but just getting into the Beemer scene.

I was wondering what you guys think I should get first? Exhaust, muffler, wheels, coil overs, etc.

I don't know much about the exhaust and others, any preferred brands?

But for wheels, I'm looking at these 3 rims.

Professor MS1's
PROFESSOR MS1 :: SSR ::...

Professor SSR MS3's
SSR MS3 :: PROFESSOR MS3 ::...

Volk TE37 SUPER LAP's
TE37 SUPER LAP :: VOLK...

I don't know about BBS rims, they look nice for sure, but what do you think them on a 530i?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Members

Welcome to the party. My own first lesson from the cranky old guys when I was new - Beemers are the ones with two wheels, Bimmers are the ones with four. Good luck on the wheels decision.

I've always put a set (or two, since I'm in the snow belt) outstanding tires at the top of the list. So, good on the wheels as first, but get great tires to go on them.

Last edited by JWMich; 02-22-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on your 530. personally Id do wheels and suspension first =)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I concur with going for new wheels if you are interested in aesthetics upgrades.

There are many trusted vendors on the forum and I would recommend reaching out to them for better pricing and most importantly proven customer service.

Good luck and congratulations on your new ride.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely wheels first, but after that, LCI Taillights FTW!!
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?-sideview.jpg   Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?-lcitailsboth.jpg   Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?-lcitailsangle.jpg  

Last edited by Crckrjck; 02-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Before you start budgeting money on wheels, mods, etc I recommend a top to bottom inspection by a qualified BMW mechanic. A 9 year old BMW, even meticulously maintained, can send you to the poor house with necessary repairs. Of course, if you're lucky, the previous owner(s) did all the usual before you bought it. That'd be a pleasant surprise - but many many buyers of pre-owned BMWs are surprised unpleasantly.

That said, I hope you'll be one of the happy ones - enjoy your new to you ride and welcome to the forum!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
definitely wheels first, but after that, LCI Taillights FTW!!
If you don't mind me asking, what is your suspension setup?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. : - )

So far, I'm looking at the Remus quad exhaust but I can't find a matching bumper and diffuser to go along with it. Does anyone know where I can get these?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Perhaps I'm just a premature geriatric,

But you just picked up a 9 year old car. Congratulations, seriously, the e60 is a beautiful and elegant platform. But you're acting irresponsibly and stupidly if you immediately start dumping money into wheels and suspension upgrades -- when its very likely there are some things you need to fix on the car first, for examples;

- Old Gaskets and Seals
- Water Pump and Thermostat replacements
- Transmission and Differential fluid changes

After you get the "have to" stuff done on the car, then look at suspension first, as its likely the OEM stuff on the car from when it was new is shot. Replace that first, and then get the car aligned at the BMW dealer, and then get your wheels, LEDs, etc., etc., etc.,

Nothing is tackier and screams nouveau riche than someone who spends $1500 on wheels and $1k on suspension upgrades when their car lacks the basic recommended/required maintenance.

I always get a good "lol" when I am at the Indy shops and there is some 22 year old kid bitching and moaning about some $1,300 repair bill, and he doesn't have enough money -- when him pawning his wheels would pay for it with ease.

Separate yourself from the Honda Civic and Chevy Cavalier communities -- have to stuff first, then the fun stuff.

EDIT - If you want the "VIP" look. Forget all aftermarket wheels -- OEM M5 wheels and the Sport Suspension system is always a great combination.

Last edited by Gatriel; 04-30-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleB
If you don't mind me asking, what is your suspension setup?
Sorry Kyle, I didn't see this before. It's stock Sport suspension with 245/40/19's on front and 285/35/19's out back.

Originally Posted by Gatriel
EDIT - If you want the "VIP" look. Forget all aftermarket wheels -- OEM M5 wheels and the Sport Suspension system is always a great combination.
I concur!

Last edited by Crckrjck; 04-30-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?