E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

The fact of the matter is that the engines stuck inside the e60 in the US (especially the n62) leaks in every direction. For those of us with older BMWs still at home, they never leaked. But why? Why do newer German cars (because BMW is certainly not alone in this) leak like a stuck pig, and the older ones don't, nor do their Japanese counterparts?

1) Eco-friendly engine seals - BMW in its Captan Planet style quest to save the world decided to use environmentally friendly rubbers and plastics for their cars. While this is a nice thing to put in their brochures, its not going to get a Prius drivers to consider the 550i, and does nothing but screw whomever owns the car at 70-110k. However, I am not convinced that the green energy bug is what alone is causing these cars to leak.

2) "No cost maintenance" and 15k mile oil changes. So for everyone who is mocking me a bit on this, pick up the phone, give your indy a call and ask if 15k oil changes are good for your seals. I would venture to say that the overwhelming major will chuckle a little and say no. The 15k mile oil change is, in my belief, there to save money, "save the environment," and make their cars competitive against one another. I find this funny as the Japanese are laughing at the Germans on this one -- as not following suit. Why -- BECAUSE ITS BAD FOR THE ENGINE.

So while we can use anecdotal evidence back and fourth -- I'd venture to say that if you talk with your business partner about maintenance on his car -- he's likely replaced every rubber or plastic component in that engine, and in some cases -- twice.

I have no doubt that BMW has an image to preserve -- I have an old 3 series in the garage below my feet with 216k on the clock at this point, and other than ABS sensors that keep dying on it (13€ to replace for the part) it starts up, and goes everywhere I need it to. It doesn't leak a drop of anything save windshield washer fluid -- however that doesn't stop them from doing excessively stupid things. Some of you guys should google the engine wiring harness for our cars, and how the insulation just starts flaking off and falling apart.

How is it that BMW and Mercedes (because Mercedes had/has similar problems) could do wiring insulation so right for so long -- and then in the mid to late 90s we start getting crap like this? Stupid decisions related to product quality.

Ok I'm done with my rant -- to the twerp that is mocking me about signatures -- I blocked all signatures, so enjoy your monstrosity, I cannot see it. Oh, and congrats on the Cold Weather Package dude, total Fast & Furious of you.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Gatriel
I have an old 3 series in the garage below my feet.
what chassis?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 AM
New Members

e46
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 535 xDrive

The fact of the matter is that the engines stuck inside the e60 in the US (especially the n62) leaks in every direction. For those of us with older BMWs still at home, they never leaked. But why? Why do newer German cars (because BMW is certainly not alone in this) leak like a stuck pig, and the older ones don't, nor do their Japanese counterparts?

1) Eco-friendly engine seals - BMW in its Captan Planet style quest to save the world decided to use environmentally friendly rubbers and plastics for their cars. While this is a nice thing to put in their brochures, its not going to get a Prius drivers to consider the 550i, and does nothing but screw whomever owns the car at 70-110k. However, I am not convinced that the green energy bug is what alone is causing these cars to leak.

2) "No cost maintenance" and 15k mile oil changes. So for everyone who is mocking me a bit on this, pick up the phone, give your indy a call and ask if 15k oil changes are good for your seals. I would venture to say that the overwhelming major will chuckle a little and say no. The 15k mile oil change is, in my belief, there to save money, "save the environment," and make their cars competitive against one another. I find this funny as the Japanese are laughing at the Germans on this one -- as not following suit. Why -- BECAUSE ITS BAD FOR THE ENGINE.

So while we can use anecdotal evidence back and fourth -- I'd venture to say that if you talk with your business partner about maintenance on his car -- he's likely replaced every rubber or plastic component in that engine, and in some cases -- twice.

I have no doubt that BMW has an image to preserve -- I have an old 3 series in the garage below my feet with 216k on the clock at this point, and other than ABS sensors that keep dying on it (13€ to replace for the part) it starts up, and goes everywhere I need it to. It doesn't leak a drop of anything save windshield washer fluid -- however that doesn't stop them from doing excessively stupid things. Some of you guys should google the engine wiring harness for our cars, and how the insulation just starts flaking off and falling apart.

How is it that BMW and Mercedes (because Mercedes had/has similar problems) could do wiring insulation so right for so long -- and then in the mid to late 90s we start getting crap like this? Stupid decisions related to product quality.

Ok I'm done with my rant -- to the twerp that is mocking me about signatures -- I blocked all signatures, so enjoy your monstrosity, I cannot see it. Oh, and congrats on the Cold Weather Package dude, total Fast & Furious of you.
Gatriel,

I agree with your observation on overall German reliability. My 1985 SDL went 175K without an electrical problem. Our '06 W220 (S430 4matic) had 80K when we sold it and we bought it with 38K. During that time we must have replaced every electrical part, including that stupid Comand radio. We never had any engine issue, however. But electrical and air suspension reliability was pathetic. It may be a while before i buy another Mercedes. I will say buy this E60 is an experiment.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Hell yeah I do... I just can't decide wth I want LOL : - (
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Columbia1991
Gatriel,

I agree with your observation on overall German reliability. My 1985 SDL went 175K without an electrical problem. Our '06 W220 (S430 4matic) had 80K when we sold it and we bought it with 38K. During that time we must have replaced every electrical part, including that stupid Comand radio. We never had any engine issue, however. But electrical and air suspension reliability was pathetic. It may be a while before i buy another Mercedes. I will say buy this E60 is an experiment.
Right, when I was car shopping 6 months ago or so, I flirted with the idea of a Mercedes, but my family has had horrible luck with MB products since the Chrysler merger. I imagine their quality is improving.

The reliability issues dealing with German cars are so frustrating because they are super easy to fix. For example, with the seals and plastics (lest we not forget interior trim pieces) all BMW has to do to fix these issues -- is go back to the materials they were using in the early 90s. You still have to replace seals and gaskets on these cars (think pre-LCI e36) but at 200k and not at 60k
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

For example, with the seals and plastics (lest we not forget interior trim pieces) all BMW has to do to fix these issues -- is go back to the materials they were using in the early 80s.
fixed it for ya
Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Columbia1991
We just picked up a 2007 530i that was previous a CPO car. It now has 60K miles and I'll buy a warranty through PenFed.org for $1,995 that covers everything except the Nav until 5 years or 100K with no deductible. I had the same warranty on my wife's 2008 H2 and my 2007 Escalade ESV. Outside of a CPO it's the on;y warranty i trust.

Sorry for digressing.

To add to your comments, we wanted a weekend fun car and with several children, decided on a used sports sedan. My business partner has a 2005 530i, purchased it new and it now has over 250K miles on it. He has a daily 100 miles commute. He purchased it new and has ONLY completed recommended services at Hendrick BMW based on what the vehicle computer tells him. Based on his actual experience with the 530i model, we bought one too.

My Escalade ESV was purchased new and I now have 125,000 miles on it. I also only services the oil when the computer tells be so. I have a 140 round trip commute to the office but do not go daily.

My point is aren't folks wasting money by changing fluids before the computer indicates? I just described two examples of high mileage cars going the distance with only computer recommended oil changes. Given this, why would I ever want to interrupt the recommended intervals?
Not at all, your point and example is very well taken. My point was to Gatriel about his recommendation to change the oil every 5 K. To me that's a personal choice. I hear highway miles will get you more life out of your oil as opposed to city driving etc. As mentioned our F10 said 15000 when we got it, but it only made it to 10300 or so before it was time for the scheduled service. The strange part was when I checked it after service the oil said 6000. Not sure, but I will clearly take it back at 6000. The only argument I could see with letting the service indicators dictate or doing it midpoint would be simply personal choice. Is it better? Well, I am sure it has to be somehow because it’s fresh oil. But on the other hand, does it have a negative impact to your car by using the service system? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by tonyb635; 05-06-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Oil changes should be based on HOURS of operation, not miles. Everyone's 'hours of operation: miles of driving' ratio is going to be different. Adjust your oil service intervals accordingly.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by KyleB
Oil changes should be based on HOURS of operation, not miles. Everyone's 'hours of operation: miles of driving' ratio is going to be different. Adjust your oil service intervals accordingly.
Kyle, please explain how you do this tracking in hours. Maybe the system tracks in hours and converts to miles in the inspection due window? I'm not sure at all but only know that the oil change due comes up in mileage. I guessing most of us are changing oil mid point though.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?