E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Good advice in here - Do the stuff you NEED to do, before the stuff you WANT to do.

Spending some money now to get the car in great running shape will also give you time to decide what wheels you want, research which mods are worth doing, and put some more money aside.

As mentioned, you do NOT want the car to put you in a financial bind, i.e. if you wait and let a $200 repair turn into a $3,000 repair and have no reserves left after buying wheels, tires, bumpers, coilovers, etc.

For all I know, your car is in perfect shape and needs nothing - but I would find out for sure first.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Congrats on your new (to you) ride.. IMHO I'd recommend wheels and suspension(unless you're already rolling on the stock Sport suspension). I'd say not to bother with the engine and exhaust mods... (none of which will improve the cars performance dramatically). Stick with the cosmetic mods..

you can contact member Nerweezy from Trinity AutoSport for most of your upgrade needs.. You're lucky, because Trinity is Located on Orange County.
nerwyll@trinityautosport.com
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Thanks Gatriel, LesslsMore, and leggomysakyo for your guys' input. I will get my car inspected and whatnot before I pursue anything else.

Last edited by A$AP Rocky Balboa; 04-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by Gatriel
Perhaps I'm just a premature geriatric,

But you just picked up a 9 year old car. Congratulations, seriously, the e60 is a beautiful and elegant platform. But you're acting irresponsibly and stupidly if you immediately start dumping money into wheels and suspension upgrades -- when its very likely there are some things you need to fix on the car first, for examples;

- Old Gaskets and Seals
- Water Pump and Thermostat replacements
- Transmission and Differential fluid changes

After you get the "have to" stuff done on the car, then look at suspension first, as its likely the OEM stuff on the car from when it was new is shot. Replace that first, and then get the car aligned at the BMW dealer, and then get your wheels, LEDs, etc., etc., etc.,

Nothing is tackier and screams nouveau riche than someone who spends $1500 on wheels and $1k on suspension upgrades when their car lacks the basic recommended/required maintenance.

I always get a good "lol" when I am at the Indy shops and there is some 22 year old kid bitching and moaning about some $1,300 repair bill, and he doesn't have enough money -- when him pawning his wheels would pay for it with ease.

Separate yourself from the Honda Civic and Chevy Cavalier communities -- have to stuff first, then the fun stuff.

EDIT - If you want the "VIP" look. Forget all aftermarket wheels -- OEM M5 wheels and the Sport Suspension system is always a great combination.
totally agree
this is the only way to keep BMW

Last edited by champaign777; 05-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

The trick with a BMW is preventative maintenance.

Get it done before you absolutely have to.

Also, change your oil every 5k miles. Period. None of this 15k nonsense.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The trick with a BMW is preventative maintenance.

Get it done before you absolutely have to.

Also, change your oil every 5k miles. Period. None of this 15k nonsense.
Is the nonsense a personal feeling? I also change my oil mid point, but only because it's my personal choice. I too am not comfortable taking the car until it's time. Although my car always says 15000 when reset, it has never actually gone 15000 on the e60. Our F10 was just serviced and when purchased it said 15000 but when it was time to actually service it the miles were at 10300. I take this oil service indicator just as I do with the fuel mileage remaining indicator. When I fill up, it say like 500 or so, I WISH!!! Almost all cars using full synthetic oil has an extended life and when the oil volume is increased there is also additional life. I can tell you for sure, that BMW did not decide to extend oil changed just to save a few bucks. Their reputation is worth far more than that. I yet to find any hard evidence of actually how long this oil will last and what are the ramifications that come with extending it out to a point where its still safe. Sure, you can find all kinds of reading material out there, but in most cases this is just some ones opinion. But Ii also change my oil mid point too! ; ))
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by A$AP Rocky Balboa
Thanks Gatriel, LesslsMore, and leggomysakyo for your guys' input. I will get my car inspected and whatnot before I pursue anything else.
I say screw it....just get yourself some 20's!!! It'll make you feel better.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo
I say screw it....just get yourself some 20's!!! It'll make you feel better.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

"Signatures with huge photos & detailed lists of modifications to your car are stupid."

Thanks. I'll be sure to change it just for you. not.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 535 xDrive

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Is the nonsense a personal feeling? I also change my oil mid point, but only because it's my personal choice. I too am not comfortable taking the car until it's time. Although my car always says 15000 when reset, it has never actually gone 15000 on the e60. Our F10 was just serviced and when purchased it said 15000 but when it was time to actually service it the miles were at 10300. I take this oil service indicator just as I do with the fuel mileage remaining indicator. When I fill up, it say like 500 or so, I WISH!!! Almost all cars using full synthetic oil has an extended life and when the oil volume is increased there is also additional life. I can tell you for sure, that BMW did not decide to extend oil changed just to save a few bucks. Their reputation is worth far more than that. I yet to find any hard evidence of actually how long this oil will last and what are the ramifications that come with extending it out to a point where its still safe. Sure, you can find all kinds of reading material out there, but in most cases this is just some ones opinion. But Ii also change my oil mid point too! ; ))
We just picked up a 2007 530i that was previous a CPO car. It now has 60K miles and I'll buy a warranty through PenFed.org for $1,995 that covers everything except the Nav until 5 years or 100K with no deductible. I had the same warranty on my wife's 2008 H2 and my 2007 Escalade ESV. Outside of a CPO it's the on;y warranty i trust.

Sorry for digressing.

To add to your comments, we wanted a weekend fun car and with several children, decided on a used sports sedan. My business partner has a 2005 530i, purchased it new and it now has over 250K miles on it. He has a daily 100 miles commute. He purchased it new and has ONLY completed recommended services at Hendrick BMW based on what the vehicle computer tells him. Based on his actual experience with the 530i model, we bought one too.

My Escalade ESV was purchased new and I now have 125,000 miles on it. I also only services the oil when the computer tells be so. I have a 140 round trip commute to the office but do not go daily.

My point is aren't folks wasting money by changing fluids before the computer indicates? I just described two examples of high mileage cars going the distance with only computer recommended oil changes. Given this, why would I ever want to interrupt the recommended intervals?

Quick Reply: Picked up a 530i, Need Advice on What To Upgrade?