Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Picked it up Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the car today and it only had 2 miles on it. Before getting into the driving impressions I will answer some of your other questions.

1. Have not yet lined up against a MB500, but I have test driven one and was considering it only if the 545 was not going to be available by year end. Beats the pants of the benz.

2. Inside door pulls are surprisingly wood. The 530's that the dealer has had for the last 3 weeks have the titanium colored pulls.

3. After a short drive the redline has a broken line at 6500 rpm and the solid redline at 7000. It has been sitting about 45 minutes. Did not pay attention to the varying redline as it warmed up, will check it in the next couple of days.

4. Steering wheel looks the same as that posted by rodybmw.

5. Sticker details to clarify for all.
msrp $54,300
cwp $ 750
premium sound $ 1,800
sport package $ 3,300
pdc $ 700
satellite prep $ 75
destination $ 695
Total $61,620

Overall impressions:

Visual: Absolutely gorgeous in black. The lines flow smoothly together from the grill to the sheetmetal to the tires with all being black. Best combination in my opinion. Only concern is how light the carpeting is, my kids will definitely trash it. Inside the beige with dark wood trim looks great. The other 530's I saw with the black maple do not look as good.

I-drive. Huge improvement over the 7's idrive. I spend another 7 hours in a 745Li this week on a trip and could not figure the logic out even as the passenger with the time. The 5's i-drive is simpler and more intuitive. Just spent 10 minutes to get all my radio stations and other settings programmed. Very simple. Should get easier as I get more familiar.

The Drive: Awesome does not begin to describe the drive. Makes my 2001 530 that I just turned in seem like a tank. Hard to say that to what many call the best handling sedan ever made, but the new e60 pushes it to another level. Clutch is a much lighter feel and will take some practice to smooth out the jerky 1-2 shifts, but already it is getting better; earlier my start-1st shifts were like hell, now I can start from uphill with confidence. Active steering for me is intuitive as if it knows where I want to turn. However, my wife almost turned into a curb at slow speed so this will depend upon the individual.
The power of the 8 cylinder is amazing with the manual. My 530 5 speed was fast, but this thing is a danger to my license. I have yet to take the tach over 4500 rpm and I have been flying this pm.

Still have not gotten the sh-t eatin grin off my face.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:37 AM
Members

Sound great! I'm very jealous, to say the least.

On the road, how is the exhaust note?

Rear bumper: red reflectors or just black areas?
Old 10-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Farbton' date='Oct 17 2003, 07:36 PM
My 530 5 speed was fast, but this thing is a danger to my license.
That's exactly why I'm moving from an E39 540 to an E60 530. It's been a miracle that I have received only one warning while I've owned the 540. A big thanks goes to my Valentine 1!

Enjoy your new baby...
Old 10-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Members

Congrat on the new 545. I ordered my 545 for Euro Delivery for April. Can you post some pictures of the interior showing the entire steering wheel, wood trim? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Members

Hey Farbton

Big Congrats on the 545. I have one question on the Satellite prep package. Can you receive the satelite stations now or are you just setup so you can get it later? Break it in carefully
Old 10-19-2003, 11:43 AM
PV2
Members

Hello,

Does your car have an Sport-button like the 6 series. This feature is called Dynamic Driving Control (in German: Fahrdynamik Control). In the manual there is mentioned that automatic and SMG has.
But does the 6 speed has this button, too?

BTW: Where are you from? "Farbton" sounds German.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by XR92' date='Oct 18 2003, 05:37 AM
Rear bumper: red reflectors or just black areas?
My 530i came with black plugs
Old 10-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Members

Hi all!

currently own a cosmo schwartz with full beige dakota leather E39 530d (european) with M technic suspension and big wheels (manual gearbox). I got it new in dec. '99 and I would like a brand new one again

So, I'm looking forward getting feedbacks from you guys about the 545i with automatic transmission (or other models) because if I can afford it, I guess I'll try to switch to the petrol v8.

This morning I was again at a Bmw dealer to detail the general quality. Just gently pulled on the little plastic part which is behind the front armrest, and it camed in my hand! Unbelievable...

Good thing is that they removed the shity glassholders at the rear.

Being computer educated, I don't find the I-Drive so easy to use. So I just wonder how the old generation customers will get used to it...

I'm not sure the magic variable steering is so fantastic to use.

Based on the pics seen here, the engine compartment of the 545i looks poor quality (for example, the corvette c5 looks much better in my opinion).

Ok this E60 is not perfect but it's still quite a good product I think. <_<

Does anyone have anyfeedback about the electronic anti-roll bars?

Any magazine tests to read about these cars?

Eh lucky new owners, please stop driving! Come and give us your feedbacks!

David
bmw530d + automatic corvettec4 + 6speed corvettec5
Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Members

Just a few more answers to your added questions.

1. Exhaust note is slightly muted (typical BMW) from idle to 3000 rpm. Above 3000 rpm it begins to sing like only a V8 can. Nowhere like a musclecar, but still nice. Personally I would like a bit more exhaust note.

2. Rear reflectors are blacked out. However not noticable l with a Jet Black color.

3. Satellite prep is just the $75 prep package. The unit is not available and my dealer is telling me end of the year (along with the phone). We will see.

4. No sport button on the transmission. Getting better with the 1-2 shifts. Just takes getting used to the sensitive clutch.

5. Not German, lived there for 3 years. Back in the states now but we are "homesick" for Germany even though we are American. Best part was driving the autobahn every day and the wine festivals (we lived near the Deutsche Weinstrasse).

Sorry about no pics to post. I am one of those few without a digital camera. I need to borrow one to get you guys some pics. Perhaps Santa???
Old 10-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Members

Congrats on the car!! I will be making my order shortly(early Dec) as I live in PA and do not want the new car for the winter. I am unsure on the manual or the SMG. Why did you decide on the manual over the SMG?

Have you driven an M3? If so, how does this engine compare?

Quick Reply: Picked it up Today