Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Picked it up Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I have not driven the M3. Previous car was a 2001 530 5 speed. I have always enjoyed a manual and decided to stick with it. Sucks getting stuck in Atlanta rush hour traffic but that is only a few times a year.

Read a lot about SMG and although it is a manual true to heart, I feel the absence of a clutch pedal takes away from the driving experience. Who cares if it will allow a split second faster 0-60. This thing is fast enough to lose my license as it is and I will have more fun doing so.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

Farbton;

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new ride;;;everything you say has me frothing with jealosy! I am especially happy about your inability to remove your "grin", and that your impressions indicate a clear preference of the BMW over the MB E500...

Good Luck!

R.R.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Members

Hey Farbton

I notice in your last post you claim that you have a hard time going from 1st to 2nd gear smoothly. I read on roadfly (I believe) that the E60 still has the CDV (clutch Delay Valve) just like the E39. Mabey you should look into the CDV delete modification from Dave Zeckhausen. I do not know the guy at all, but I hear nothing but good things about him. From what I understand he knows his stuff. Go to Dave Z for his website. Have Fun
Old 10-21-2003, 10:48 AM
vanf

My brother just took delivery of a 545. I have one on order will get delivery in about 9-10 days. I am the computer person, he is a computer clutz. In fact I had to set up his owners circle for him. However, is is doing very well with the I-drive. Says he finds it simple to use. What a surprise. Maybe those of us that are strong on computer knowledge and skills are letting our preconceived thoughts make it more difficult. I will provide my post delivery update in next couple of weeks after delivery.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Members

I have been on vacation but I also received my new 530 last week and WOW what a great car. Orient blue/beige, Manual, premium pckg, sport pckg, logic 7, adaptive headlights MSRP $53,295

LOVING this ride) could not imagine the HP on 545 my 530 seems very adequate in a stick)

Grats to all new owners and those future new owners

I also do not own a digital camera but can borrow one if requested
Old 10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Members

Scork / Farbton,

Do you like the fit and finish of the car? Has it been a problem free ownership experience so far? Do you have to get use to Active Steering or does it come naturally? I have a 545i with sport package on order.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Members

Zero problems so for with 500 miles and a week driving. Active steering is very easy to get used too, but the problem is when driving a car without active steering they feel so sluggish around turns.

I think this car is really spoiling me)

Fit and finish on interior is adequate and I really like the outside. I would rank it as follows

Driving experience A+++
Exterior A
Interior B+ has grown on me
Reliability Too early to tell so far not one issue
Engine power B just needs alittle more to be ultimate driving machine)
Old 10-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Members

Agree with Scork on all grades, except A for the power. On the interior I rate it a B+ as well. I like the layout, except the cupholders. As you all know us dumbass Americans have to have the cupholders in the right places. My dealer told me someone has already broken one of the passenger ones as they left it in the open position then hit it with their knee getting out of the car. However, I can't really think of a better place for them so for now they are ok.

Fit and finish of the dash I would rate slightly behind the E39. Finish of the seats I would rate better. Big improvement on the back seat with more room.

Did not like the instrument panel at first but now appreciate it much better than E39. Simple and non-distracting. Anyone driven an Audi at night, you end up staring at the panel instead of the road. Also nice little touches such as the variable redline, I use this as an indication that car is warmed up instead of water/oil temp gauges. Also the cruise control gives more info via the panel in a nice subtle way. Need to ditch the instantaneous fuel economy gauge as I see little purpose other than novelty. This is a car for driving.

Just turned 100 miles today so I really can't comment on reliability. No issues yet.
First trip next week so I will better comment on highway driving (with a little speeding) next week.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Members

Has anyone had any problems with iDrive? My E60 loses Audio settings, does not work in sub-zero temperatures etc.

So far there has been no help from the "bug fixes" of the software.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Members

Glad to hear that the car drives awesome and good overall built quality. I hope apeshape's i-drive problem is an isolated one. Please let us know, if your dealer is able to resolve the problem with software or ICU upgrade.