E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel leak from small hose (engine bay driver side)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530xiT Black/Black Nav pan roof tint 30%/20% F/R, LED Interior, Matte Kidney Grills, RPi intake scoop, 5W LED AE's, Backed out emblems...
Question Fuel leak from small hose (engine bay driver side)

I noticed a slight fuel smell in my garage the other day. THought maybe my snowblower leaked a little fuel (past problem with cracked hose). Didnt think much of it until today. I was low on windshield washer fluid. So on my way home I picked some up & drove home. Once parked in the garage I popped the hood and poured in the washer fluid. While I was doing that I smelled fuel so I looked around and saw actual fuel flowing out of a small hose. The small hose is located on the driver side and part of an electrical harness I believe. The hose can be seen sticking out near the top of the strut near (above the driver side tire in the engine bay). I have no idea what this hose is and why it would be leaking like that. Any ideas suggestions? Not sure what to do.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

That's the fuel hose connected to the fuel rail.

On '07 530, that short fuel hose is sold separately, Part labeled #8 in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel leak from small hose (engine bay driver side)-fuel_hose.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

If the hose you are referring to is high in the engine compartment by the strut tower, on drivers side and open at the top, it is a vent line to the windshield washer reservoir. It is not unusual for washer fluid to exit the vent line if the reservoir is completely spilled.

As pcy has pointed out the fuel line connector, located about 4-6" below vent line, is a good first place to look.

Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 07-08-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530xiT Black/Black Nav pan roof tint 30%/20% F/R, LED Interior, Matte Kidney Grills, RPi intake scoop, 5W LED AE's, Backed out emblems...

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
If the hose you are referring to is high in the engine compartment by the strut tower, on drivers side and open at the top, it is a vent line to the windshield washer reservoir. It is not unusual for washer fluid to exit the vent line if the reservoir is completely spilled.

As pcy has pointed out the fuel line connector, located about 4-6" below vent line, is a good first place to look.
Thanks guys! That makes sense. The fluid came out as I was finishing filling the windshield washer reservoir. It is high in the engine bay right near the strut tower as you said. As a matter of fact its right next to the ground stud and it is open.

So the fuel smell is unrelated then. Will check on that fuel line connector as pcy has suggested. Thanks again, will let you guys know what I find.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Members

Also wanted to mention that I had a odd hiccup/stumble like a misfire just minutes before this. Its been happening occasionally. Each time its when the car is stopped (at a light for example) idling. Maybe its unrelated but thought i'd mention it.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

If the fuel line is leaking, it can cause low pressure and can result in the symptoms you are seeing. Bad ignition coil can also cause the same symptom.

If I were you, I'd first investigate the source of that fuel smell. Look for any signs of fuel on both ends of that fuel line (one end is connected to the fuel rail and the other end is connected to the fuel line near the strut tower. Make sure there are plastic clips are on both ends of that fuel line.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Take a look with the engine running. This way the fuel system will be pressureised. However, don't pull on any lines with engine running, eyeball situation only! Also have a fire extinguisher on hand ready to go, just in case...
Old 07-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Members

Just an update, I couldn't find any obvious leaks (even with the car running). Whatever it is must be fairly small I would think. The smell is hard to pin point but I would say def. on the driver side which makes sense. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I originally panicked when I saw fluid come out of a tube near the strut tower. Now I know that tube is part of the windshield washer system. Lastly to add to my situation, the car still says I'm low on windshield washer fluid! Will check that the sensor connector isn't loose. Again thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:38 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

If you have a fuel leak, you need to find it. At best, you'll have major damage to the car. Fuel and hot engine equals fire.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 2005
Default fuel leak from small hose driver/s side

Gentlemen,

I have a 2005 545i 6 speed....I have noticed a small stream of fuel coming from a hard black plastic tube on the drivers side connected to the braided fuel line which is connected to the fuel rail. What is the name of that black tube and where can I order it.
Much appreciated.

Alvin

Quick Reply: Fuel leak from small hose (engine bay driver side)