E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mine: 2005 545i Sport Pkg, Black Saphire/Black, Nav, Chrome Wheels ---------- Wife's: 2007 335i Sport/Prem Pkg, White/Auburn, Nav

Originally Posted by BMDiesel
2005 E60 does not have that flashlight standard. nor the 12v plug in the passenger footwell. it does have the emergency key holder.
My 05 E60 has all of those...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Rudy
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -- I don't think you'll get any US dealer to activate this feature (I don't think it's even possible to do with the US based software...) The all close feature does work with the key in the door or, if you have comfort access, you can hold your hand on the lock area of the door handle and everything will close.

I'm not sure if it's a specific option that we have that takes away that compartment or if it's something new with the LCI cars. What options do you have that are common to my options?
All control modules are the same for all cars in all parts of the world. The USA dealers wont activate the remote windows up feature due to liability, but it can be done easily with (BMW) software tools such as NCS Expert.

I suspect the storage compartment (or lack thereof) is related to whether or not the car is fitted with certain electronic options that would occupy the storage space...but not sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Stupid but hey, i'm trying to contribute:

-I rename my cellphone to catch phrases so when bluetooth connects and I'm under the communications tab, it'll display that phrase. Keep it under 8 characters.

-Probably already known, but when you highlight a station, selecting RDS will enable station information/songs to be displayed.

-I always leave the rear armrest down. Why? 2 more cupholders.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

This probably doesn't classify as "neat" for most, but I'm always amazed when I randomly learn something new about the car after almost 2 years. I just yesterday noticed this warning bar thing around the tach. The manual indicates that this moves lower in the RPMs to indicate engine warning due to temperature. My car was out in the cold at the dealership (brake recall) for about 6 hours before I picked it up. When i got in the bar was at like 4K RPMs and then began to move as the car warmed up.

Always garaged, so I guess this has never surfaced for me before.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 535d Msport Auto, Silver, 18" Alloys Engine Remapped - 315 bhp (apparently), Black Badges, Bright white Angels & Fogs, M-Tech Badge Front Grill, rear LCI upgrade

Here is one that I have just found out... (after 3 BMW's) most cars have a little tab under the rear view mirror to dip the mirror if some idiot has their high beams on behind you... but as most BM's now have mirrors that auto tint when they detect bright lights behind you..... I did not know that you can spin the red clowns nose to manually dip the mirror too.. you learn something new everyday.

this feature is also great if female passengers have low cut tops on - now if only BMW could develop the mirror to auto detect that
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by rtobin
Here is one that I have just found out... (after 3 BMW's) most cars have a little tab under the rear view mirror to dip the mirror if some idiot has their high beams on behind you... but as most BM's now have mirrors that auto tint when they detect bright lights behind you..... I did not know that you can spin the red clowns nose to manually dip the mirror too.. you learn something new everyday.

this feature is also great if female passengers have low cut tops on - now if only BMW could develop the mirror to auto detect that
My red "clown nose" on the rear-view mirror doesn't move when turned or pressed.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ProMed
My red "clown nose" on the rear-view mirror doesn't move when turned or pressed.
Neither does mine ... in fact the dimming is done internally and not by "dipping" as was the case with older cars.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 528i, Alpine WHITE

Originally Posted by ressla
THE ANTI CAR-JACKING FEATURE

(Copied from a previous post of mine).

I was first told about this by a BMW tech. I think it is intentional and may be due to technology leftover from the comfort access.

The way it was explained to me was that it could be used as an anti car-jacking feature in non comfort access cars.

It allows you to drive the car without the key in: thus if you are unlucky enough to be car-jacked , you just let the thieves take your car.They will assume that the key is in the ignition because the engine is on. As soon as they stop and turn off the ignition they will be unable to turn the car on again as they have no key.

The guy who told me worked for BMW emergency services and said he did this all the time with his 5 series tourer as he was often called to unsavoury locations to assist drivers.

The procedure is:-

1) start the car as normal.
2) stop the engine ( you do not have to leave the engine running for 30 secs unlike previously stated)
3) remove key
4) Put the key in your pocket ( very important not to leave the key lying in the car for obvious reasons).
5)put foot on brake and press start engine button. you have only about 10 secs to do this.
6) Voila ! You can drive without the key.

You can also lock the car with the engine running using this method which may be handy on winter days to warm up the car before you get in.
I just tried this trick, it's great!!! The only ones i know were already shared ( holding down the unlock button to open windows/moonroof, unlock handle for trunk) Keep them coming, these are great!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
That only works outside of North America... :thumbsdown:
My 08 550I does it. So did my 08 535I. Both had comfort access.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Members

had my key programmed to open and close the windows using the remote. I have a pre lci.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!