E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Trunk Open during a Rain Storm :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, first post
I drive a 2004 525i

This happened to me today. I was heading out to work in the morning, and found my trunk open. Don't know how it happened, but closed it and drove off. Last night it rained pretty hard in Houston. So while I was on the freeway, all the error messages the OP had, I also had, but the car kept driving fine while the iDrive and windshield wiper went berserk. When I got to work, I opened up the trunk, pulled out the spare tire and saw a pool of water sitting there, with the MPM module soaked in it. I emptied out the water with a towel I had, then left my trunk open to dry out the MPM module while hanging it up with the connector under it to drain out the water that it had collected. After that, I wiped off the module, and relocated it to the left side compartment in the trunk (the opposite side of the battery compartment area), and zip-tied it to a group of wires there, since that area did not get wet when the trunk was open.

I started up the car again and everything seems fine. No error messages, and no wiper blade shenanigans. I think it was a poor design decision to locate a sensitive module like that in the spare tire area, since that's where water collects in the trunk if there's a leak.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by w5lx
There have been too many instances of this happening due to poor seals in the trunk area. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to place a large piece of plastic (such as those plastic bags that come from dry cleaners or a large garbage bag) over the wheel well area and then close the wheel well compartment door over it to seal off the wheel well area to any water that might enter the trunk. Would there by any downsides to this idea? Wouldn't this prevent water from entering the wheel well area? Good idea or bad idea?
If you go to that trouble, you might as well relocate the modules. The OP is lucky his module did not fry as in the last picture --->Here