E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Trunk Open during a Rain Storm :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

So today in AZ we had about 30 minutes of a very hard hail storm, after the storm i go look at my car and i see the freaking trunk was open, i must have depressed the button earlier in my pocket or something without knowing *couldn't have happened at a worst time* the trunk was very wet ofcourse and some water in the spare wheel part.

i goto drive the car and first on my idrive screen (ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MALFUCTION CAR NOT DRIVABALE) but the car is going fine then and this goes away then again on idrive (CRUISE CONTROL MALFUNCTION) then goes away then my WIPERS START BY THEMSELVES and idrive says (WIPER MALFUCTION)stops then (LIGHTING MALFUCTION) then off and on and off and on then the idrive goes BLANK then comes back on, doing this all night i hope i didn't destroy the car, its driving fine and all electrics are working i'm taking it in tomorrow, i have no warranty,i'm hoping its just something that needs to dry!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

BEFORE you take it to the dealership and BEFORE you start driving it more, start ripping apart the trunk IMMEDIATELY! I dunno what time it is in Arizona but it's 4 AM here in NY! I dont care. Shit I wish I read this sooner. Just run to your car NOW, remove the cover for the spare tire, take the spare tire OUT, disconnect the battery. Remove ALL the modules underneath the spare. Make sure it's dried and hope it's not fried. DO NOT take a hair dryer and dry the modules. Put it in the freezer MAY work if it's wet inside. It all fails, you might need to call your insurance company and see if they cover it. Tell them exactly what happened. It started hailing and you have no idea why your trunk was opened and it fried the modules. Sending you a PM. Hopefully, you're not sleeping yet.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
BEFORE you take it to the dealership and BEFORE you start driving it more, start ripping apart the trunk IMMEDIATELY! I dunno what time it is in Arizona but it's 4 AM here in NY! I dont care. Shit I wish I read this sooner. Just run to your car NOW, remove the cover for the spare tire, take the spare tire OUT, disconnect the battery. Remove ALL the modules underneath the spare. Make sure it's dried and hope it's not fried. DO NOT take a hair dryer and dry the modules. Put it in the freezer MAY work if it's wet inside. It all fails, you might need to call your insurance company and see if they cover it. Tell them exactly what happened. It started hailing and you have no idea why your trunk was opened and it fried the modules. Sending you a PM. Hopefully, you're not sleeping yet.
hoooollllllllllllly shit, i just did that - and under the spare tire i had to scoop otu about a foot of water, teh module was swimming in there, now i'm trying to take out the batter cuz its also got a foot of water in its compartment.

This is the module that was submerged waht is this?
Attached Thumbnails My Trunk Open during a Rain Storm :(-img-20101006-00009.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tarek307
hoooollllllllllllly shit, i just did that - and under the spare tire i had to scoop otu about a foot of water, teh module was swimming in there, now i'm trying to take out the batter cuz its also got a foot of water in its compartment.

This is the module that was submerged waht is this?
That would be the micro power module (or MPM). Do a search here for MPM and you'll see exactly what you're dealing with...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I hope everything works out for you.

I wonder if it would be okay to place the MPM inside of a ziplock bag or something and seal it from outside moisture or wetness for preventive purposes? You know, weather proof it?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I think you would be able to ziplock it... you could also have it moved as many owners have to an inside wall in the trunk - there is enough wire to do so. Worst case, have the dealership move it if and when they replace it - i believe if it is fried and has to be replaced you will need them to program it...

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

try putting everything in a bleached or brown dry rice of any sort; it'll suck the moisture right up; leave it and do not run any electrical current through them until they are fully dry; be safe and don't touch your car for a week!

let it all dry up and then try assembling everything and you should be fine; if not insurance route and dealer.

edit: you might want to open a claim right now anyway with your insurance.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by lim
try putting everything in a bleached or brown dry rice of any sort; it'll suck the moisture right up; leave it and do not run any electrical current through them until they are fully dry; be safe and don't touch your car for a week!

let it all dry up and then try assembling everything and you should be fine; if not insurance route and dealer.
I agree...the best advice is to not rush the drying process. Bag it in rice and be patient!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Rice is useful! LOL. Dont waste it and remember to cook it afterwards.

That module is an important one. Let it dry and see how it goes. Once everything dries, see if BMW will do anything using the SIB.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Members

Driving with that box messed up like that is crazy... your gauges/wipers goes berserk lol then it will say tranmission failure, i replaced mine last year because someone left a 2 liter water bottle in my trunk and the cap wasnt close right.

Quick Reply: My Trunk Open during a Rain Storm :(