E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another sos malfunction :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 E61 535
Default Another sos malfunction :-(

What's good my peeps? My first post on my first day as a member, but many hours/days of research spent trying to find a similar situation to no avail.
First, I have an 09 535i x drive e61 with 95k mi, my first bimmer. No pdc, comfort access, CD changer, warranty. I love the vehicle and recently got this sos call system malfunction message and sound cuts out, only when the cars engine is on.
To explain in greater detail, if I sit in my car with key in, ignition on (engine off), I can pretty much do everything including connecting my phone to bluetooth, am, fm, HD radio, never worked since I've had it (module in rear compartment is marked in sharpie for an 08 7 series and was never able to select HD radio in idrive). When I start engine, seconds later all sounds cut out. I drive seems to freeze, but its actually the knob that doesn't work, unable to select anything, messages still appear, if left on nav or CD before sound cut out, everything moves about normally. I know it's only the idrive wheel because preset steering wheel buttons function (selecting CD tracks, odd CD still plays tracks but no sound??), the command or phone buttons don't. I reset idrive with engine still on and normal functions resume, able to navigate idrive with knob, but no USB, bluetooth, radio, still no sound, command/phone buttons still not working, and the exclamation point still in dash. I also can't select any bluetooth options. I shut car off completely, then enter key fob, ignition on, a few seconds later door chimes and music resumes. Everything idrive seems to work when ignition on only (except for radio of course). I did notice a few weeks ago hearing the scratchy sounds through the speakers, but that lasted a few hours, then disappeared. Also when ignition on only and sound comes through, the door chime will "double chime" when i open the door if that makes sense. I've checked fuses (glove and rear), spare tire modules for water damage (none I noticed), made sure all plugs were removed and replaced snuggly from modules, cleared sunroof drains, I've tried removing ground from battery for 20 minutes, removed phone from bluetooth and shut bluetooth off, nothing seems to fix this issue. Fiber optic light's work while ignition on only (tcu, radio, bluetooth, amp), but when engine on, a few seconds later I don't see a signal being sent to the bluetooth module only, all other Fiber optic clips seem to light up and I don't have a f.o. loop. The only time I can reproduce the symptoms I'm experiencing while ignition on only is when I disconnect the f.o. from the tcu module. Everything else I disconnect resumes working, meaning music continues, when I plug it back in (radio, amp, b.t.)
After all that I guess a few questions arise. Any other trouble shooting steps I should take before my appt at an Indy shop? What can cause an sos, only with the car engine on? Does the radio module need to be coded in order for it to work (I haven't researched that one cause I don't care much for it) or get a new module? Any grounds/connections to search? I'm also curious as to what modules are in my trunk, i don't know what they all are and research hasn't gotten me far. I'm not too familiar with bimmers and sorry for the long post. I know sos's have been covered a million times, but i feel like this situation might be an easy fix due to everything working with ignition on only, and the answers slapping me right in the face!!! I know experts are out there willing to shed some light down this darn sos path. Big thanks for taking the time to read.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1R...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Sou1b1azer; 08-16-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

So basically your car was fine for some time after you bought it correct? Did you unplug your ccc for any reason? I'm asking cause i had once similar problem i forgot to plug back fiber optic loop.
What sound system you have in your e61? Any modifications?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:56 PM
New Members

Thank you for the reply. I never unplugged the CCC. I have the logic 7 system. No mods, all stock. Everything was fine at one point (except for radio). I would like to find out what's going on. Any other suggestions or trouble shooting tips
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 AM
New Members

It's definitely a difficult situation, I hope to figure it out, but driving in silence isn't so bad . If fixed I'll update post. If anyone wants to chime in, ask me any questions or suggest any other trouble shooting steps, please do so. Much appreciated
Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

I would like to help you out but like you said is pretty difficult damn. :-/
Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 AM
New Members

Thanks wooboodoo. I have the rear compartment wide open right now trying to figure out what's up. I have a feeling it could be a ground issue or the ccc unit. The fact that everything seems to work fine ignition on/no engine, but cuts out when the engine turns on (after a few seconds) hints a short or something not initializing properly after engine on... It's boggling my mind. I'll keep the post posted
Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
New Members

I'm still working on this, I haven't forgotten. Same issue continues. I've taken it to a couple indy shops and they either didn't have the time or equipment to figure this out. Seems like the dealership is the only option..... I'm gonna look at the inline connector for the fiber optic and see if a cable has any play. I still think it's some kind of short only when the engine comes on, i still have no idea. Could be a battery issue as well, as research suggests low voltage can cause similar symptoms. I don't thinks it's original. Also, does my car have a MPM module? If so, where would it be?

Last edited by Sou1b1azer; 10-12-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added info and question
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

I'm in Kittery if you want some assistance. I have an ICOM and *ahem*, a few spare parts.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 PM
New Members

Default Definitely

Originally Posted by jcolley
I'm in Kittery if you want some assistance. I have an ICOM and *ahem*, a few spare parts.
Kittery's not far from me, let me know what's up. Also, I'm not sure what's an ICOM?