E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

F*CKING DISGRACED

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 700700' post='231348
Lots of claims on here to insinuate that you what happened should have never happened, however, I raced two 350z's heads up at an 1/8 mile track. (I would think the 350z would be faster than the G35, and if not, they would be VERY close.) One was completly stock (as is my 545) and the other had a performance exhaust. Granted, it was only an 1/8 mile so we did not hit high speeds, but while I beat both of them in time, the modified 350z actually won the race because he was a little quicker off the light.

All I am saying is that those cars are fairly quick and at a minimum can keep up with the 545 in straight line acceleration from 0-70ish, perhaps your friend just has a "good" one. It sounds like your upset with the amount of money you spent versus the performance, in which case, there are multiple "lesser" cars which will outperm our beloved BMW's for a fraction of the price, it gets down to preference and why you buy what you buy.
Good points. What were your 1/8 times and speeds?

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='231373
If you go to www.dinanbmw.com you see specific numbers for components and more importantly combinations of components, I would feel more comfortable with this type of performance claims.
I don't have specific knowledge for either B&B or Dinan, just using previous experiences I have had.
I agrre with you man. 100%.
[/quote]Yes, there is no reason to expect big HP gains from a muffler. But, also there is no reason to expect the change to a less restrictive muffler to reduce max HP or to do severe damage to the torque curve. There might be a reason for a muffler to reduce low-end torque some, but the comparison of grogan's car and mine fails to indicate that my B&B reduces low-end torque.

I tend to believe the Dinan claims also since they apparently dyno test all their HP-affecting products. B&B's claim may be generic having arisen from "infinitely" many experiences with muffler/exhaust design and swaps.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='231383
so man when your car was "relivered"... what was it like
I've missed the "relivered" part, but grogan is an excellent drag racer, and his un-modded Step 545i is very fast. He has obtained at least one, and perhaps two, 5.0 zero to 60 results and gets through 1/8's in the 8.7's as I recall. I agree with all he says. I mentioned once before that I rolled with a G35, it took quite a while to pass him, but I did so before 100 MPH. He went sooner than I did, and, as grogan indicates, that makes things double hard. If cars are reasonably closely matched, then it is very hard to make up lost .10's of seconds.

Originally Posted by derrickj' post='231379
Originally Posted by pennetta' post='231363' date='Jan 29 2006, 09:04 AM
If you go to www.dinanbmw.com you see specific numbers for components and more importantly combinations of components, I would feel more comfortable with this type of performance claims.
I don't have specific knowledge for either B&B or Dinan, just using previous experiences I have had.
Yes, there is no reason to expect big HP gains from a muffler. But, also there is no reason to expect the change to a less restrictive muffler to reduce max HP or to do severe damage to the torque curve. There might be a reason for a muffler to reduce low-end torque some, but the comparison of grogan's car and mine fails to indicate that my B&B reduces low-end torque.

I tend to believe the Dinan claims also since they apparently dyno test all their HP-affecting products. B&B's claim may be generic having arisen from "infinitely" many experiences with muffler/exhaust design and swaps.
[/quote]

I also must have missed the "relivered "???

Originally Posted by Znod' post='231383
so man when your car was "relivered"... what was it like
I've missed the "relivered" part, but grogan is an excellent drag racer, and his un-modded Step 545i is very fast. He has obtained at least one, and perhaps two, 5.0 zero to 60 results and gets through 1/8's in the 8.7's as I recall. I agree with all he says. I mentioned once before that I rolled with a G35, it took quite a while to pass him, but I did so before 100 MPH. He went sooner than I did, and, as grogan indicates, that makes things double hard. If cars are reasonably closely matched, then it is very hard to make up lost .10's of seconds.

Originally Posted by derrickj' post='231379
Originally Posted by pennetta' post='231363' date='Jan 29 2006, 09:04 AM
Yes, there is no reason to expect big HP gains from a muffler. But, also there is no reason to expect the change to a less restrictive muffler to reduce max HP or to do severe damage to the torque curve. There might be a reason for a muffler to reduce low-end torque some, but the comparison of grogan's car and mine fails to indicate that my B&B reduces low-end torque.

[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words of support Znod.As you know I am not trying to be a smart ass,but just trying to give some perspective on the subject based on many years of experience.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

He's referring to your "relivered 11-10-2003" in your signature Grogan.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Maybe you had full tank along with groceries?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='231398
He's referring to your "relivered 11-10-2003" in your signature Grogan.
Oh, I see. We all misunderstood what 700700 was saying. grogan got a new liver 11/10/03. So, it was him that was "relivered."
Old 01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Old 01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='231171
Originally Posted by katheikia' post='231157' date='Jan 29 2006, 12:43 AM
[quote name='BangleBox_530d' post='231154' date='Jan 28 2006, 07:38 PM']
FFS what *is* a G35? There's life outside of the US guys!

INFINITY G35 for the rest of the world
That's the upmarket Nissan? We don't see that in Europe.

I guess it's a V8.

Interesting stats. My diesel does 0-60 in low 6s, and 1/4 mile in 14.2. We haven't yet got a 545i to line up against a diesel Maybe next summer.
[/quote]

It's actually a V6 and to clarify, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the G35 coupe and not the sedan...quite a difference in performance between the two.Sedannnnnnnnnnn peopleeeeeeeeeeeeee
[/quote]
Old 01-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

All flaming aside, it is a valid point, I think, that an adult driving a German luxury car who chooses to race some punk in a Japanese car made mostly for little rich kids and folks who don't want to spend an extra 5 grand for a "near luxury" sports coupe, probably needs to get some other hobby.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='231223
Originally Posted by PoliticalAid007' post='231212' date='Jan 28 2006, 09:33 PM
Who Friggin cares! Geez! I consider people who drag race their cars morons. If you want to race, go to a race track and become a "real" race car driver. I have seen way too many accidents from street racing. It is a serious danger to others. Enjoy the BMW for what it is meant to do, drive very, very well. Take it out on the back roads, have some fun, but drive SAFE.
I don't think we, on this forum, are into flaming; disrespecting others their opinions, or their foilbles; or being impolite. I do some ocassional street racing when it is safe enought IMO--which is not a justifiable reason for doing an irresponsible thing. But, I am not a moron nor do I like being referred to as one. What are your foibles? Do you talk on your cell phone while driving? Do you drive under the influence whether or not feeling the effects? Do you drive over the speed limit? You can tell the truth here. Most of us won't call you a moron. And, why are the back roads so safe? It's a matter of opinion and preference, right? But, if one disagrees with another, it doesn't make him or her a moron, right?
Yup totally agreed, I think we are all mature and responsible adults, but sometimes we just act like a kid behind the wheels Maybe the E60 make us feel young again.

Edit: Not that I am old, I am not even 30 yet.
[/quote]

I absolutely stand by my comment. If you or anyone is "street racing", you are moron! And, anyone who is street racing deserves and should be called a moron. First, street racing in illegal, and can land you in Prison for a good chunk of time. I think someone who risks going to prison for a cheap thrill is a moron. Second, you can seriously injure or kill innocent people when street racing, which will only compound point one, and devastate innocent family and friends. I believe deliberately doing illegal activities, which can injure and hurt innocent people does make a person a moron.

How in the world can anyone condone ILLEGAL actions, which could result in prison, serious injury, or death?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='231571' date='Jan 29 2006, 05:15 PM
All flaming aside, it is a valid point, I think, that anyone ... who chooses to race [on the street], ... might ... [want to consider not doing so for the safety of all concerned].
I rephrased what you said. In the rephrased form, I agree. I sincerely hope you don't mind the rephrasing.

Quick Reply: F*CKING DISGRACED