E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006 | 04:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

I must admit that I was initially hesitant to "operate" the ashtray to conceal the iPod Universal Base. But after last night, I found that all my worries were unfounded. Kudos again to Ah Boa and gang. Although the ashtray was physically cut into 3 separate pieces, they CAN be reinstated. LMK, I hope you have kept the center section for future use.

33 (or whatever you call yourself now), I am interested in the Garmin Map. Please include me in the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails E60 for Singaporeans-nuvi_1.jpg   E60 for Singaporeans-ipod_open.jpg  
Old 06-26-2006 | 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='303358' date='Jun 26 2006, 11:55 PM
BZSAB,

read my the other recommendations.
12" is minimum, 6" mid is recommended.

for car, go for power power power! Be it engine or power amp, just go for power money can buy.

If you import yourself, you may save quite a bit and yet some good quality stuff.
Like me, basic. subwoofer, mid and tweeters. and a good amp. Also, i will recommend only the front doors will be adequate.
It will not cost you more than 3K for a decent setup.
LMK, appreciate your advice. Note that I am really not into Hi-Fidelity and all I want is "decent" sound with Bass, Mid and Treble. Do I really ne the 12" sub and 6" mids? Based on what Ah Boa told me, 10" sub in the trunk may already be too big; I need trunk to accomodate at least 2 good sized golf bags. He did however, suggest a lower profile sub.
Old 06-26-2006 | 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='303362' date='Jun 27 2006, 12:06 AM
Confirmed gone. I have to rent a set of clubs from the pro shop.

I am quite sure I did bring my bag back home on 11 June 06. What did anyone take my bag I don't know. It's not a Honma 5 stars or anything like that. Just that you are quite used to some of your clubs as you should know.
Anyway, I guess it's time to look for a new set.

OT= off topic (thanks for the correction)
Bro... conspiracy theory! The culprit could be one of you golf kaki's whom you have "taken" alot of money from at the golf course Playing too well on the course wont make you alot of friends!
Old 06-26-2006 | 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='303546' date='Jun 27 2006, 08:05 AM
I must admit that I was initially hesitant to "operate" the ashtray to conceal the iPod Universal Base. But after last night, I found that all my worries were unfounded. Kudos again to Ah Boa and gang. Although the ashtray was physically cut into 3 separate pieces, they CAN be reinstated. LMK, I hope you have kept the center section for future use.

33 (or whatever you call yourself now), I am interested in the Garmin Map. Please include me in the purchase.
The name is RK... SL is my middle dialect name... was destined to get an SLK... haha

Anyway...how do I pass you the money for your organs? You got a bank account number that you can disclose in this forum?

How much did Ah Bao & co charge you for the installation the last time? $350?

Did you guys know you can buy the iPod slim remote and the Universal Base can be controlled from that stick?
Old 06-26-2006 | 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RSLK' post='303566' date='Jun 27 2006, 08:23 AM
The name is RK... SL is my middle dialect name... was destined to get an SLK... haha

Anyway...how do I pass you the money for your organs? You got a bank account number that you can disclose in this forum?

How much did Ah Bao & co charge you for the installation the last time? $350?

Did you guys know you can buy the iPod slim remote and the Universal Base can be controlled from that stick?
RSLK, Price is correct, but mine was without the Reverse Camera.

I know of the remote control for iPod universal base. Careful, if you decide to conceal the universal base like mine and LMK's. You may not get line-of-sight between the remote and base.

As for payment..... you can either credit my SWISS or Carribean accounts ! Seriously though, dont worry, we will think of something lah!
Old 06-26-2006 | 05:38 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='303553' date='Jun 27 2006, 08:11 AM
LMK, appreciate your advice. Note that I am really not into Hi-Fidelity and all I want is "decent" sound with Bass, Mid and Treble. Do I really ne the 12" sub and 6" mids? Based on what Ah Boa told me, 10" sub in the trunk may already be too big; I need trunk to accomodate at least 2 good sized golf bags. He did however, suggest a lower profile sub.
A 12" sub will not take up space when you install on the rear board.
i got 2 pieces of 12" dual coil sub on my back. i recommend you to take one only. Moreover the price is very close between a 10" and a 12".

our car has a characteristic of upper mid range spike...uh too technical right? it means if you use a 4", you may find the sound too bright at that 3-8Khz frequency. it can be noisy at high volumes.
A 6" mid provide a smoother mid bass and lessen the spike effect in our rides.
Also, our sound proof in our rides tend to absorb bass alot especially during cruising, if you use a 10" i am afraid the low freqs being drowned by the insulation.

Forget about using a buffer box in the trunk, waste of time and money in my opinion. Unless the guys has a good knowledge of sound technology, they can never build a box that can be tuned to produce good bass. Because there are alot of considerations in building the box. Use free air is a better bet.

take your time, don't rush.
Old 06-26-2006 | 05:46 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by nuvi360' post='303382' date='Jun 27 2006, 01:22 AM
ok what amp can i get to drive to subwoofer ie another on top of my current audison and thats bang for bucks.

ah meng now is pushing me to change to 6" and throw the 4 " to the rear seats.he suggested i get another amp to power the sub.
what is your view of a boxed sub woofer compared to say free air.do i need one or 2 subs?
actually want a sub to produce punchy bass but right now its like a dull bass.

what is RTA.

wah laio i see i can end up spending and drain like a tap.
You see, that is what i meant by never ending if you start halfway. That is, you know that there are better sound reproduction to be achieved but you started off not at the top where the best bang for the buck.
go for 12" and 6" is the way to go. Do not start at 10" and 4" and then move up to 12" and 6" later, wasting time and money. Afterall, the difference is not much.
Ask him, if you go for V series of Audison, he will take back the this amp at the same price? V Audison produces better damping and imaging. i heard it in CES Vegas.

Also, a dedicated sub amp may be an alternative. pump a 300watt into a 12" dual coil sub, install it in the back board and sound proof it, you'll hear the difference even if you stay with your 4" now.
One 12" sub is adequate.

Dull bass is due to a few reasons, but mainly the box is not correctly tuned in terms of volume size and Q factor of the box. Also the damping factor of the amp is too low. OF course the power output of the amp to the subs is under power.

RTA is an real time analyser (or spectrum analyser) to check the freq response of the car cabin in this case. there are some freqs that needed to be attenuated and some freq bands needed to be amplified. By tuning, it provides a flat response curve. Although some non hi fi purist may think that flat response is not pleasing to their ears, but purists may think that it is the best way to listen to music in the original form. Whatever it is, it has to be tuned.
Old 06-26-2006 | 06:03 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='303565' date='Jun 27 2006, 08:22 AM
Bro... conspiracy theory! The culprit could be one of you golf kaki's whom you have "taken" alot of money from at the golf course Playing too well on the course wont make you alot of friends!
haha true...Dont drive for show and putt for doe. You'll make alot of foes.
i had ever brought a Callaway set to the club, when i come home, it becomes Ping set! urgh.... of course it was in Thailand and not Singapore.
Old 06-26-2006 | 06:08 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='303362' date='Jun 27 2006, 12:06 AM
Anyway, I guess it's time to look for a new set.
have you tried the Knock off sets from China, from Callaways , taylor made to Ping all.... at 200usd for full set. most of my ang mo friends tried it and they like it and ended up buying more. Only a couple of them had broke them especially the driver. We took it back for exchange and they changed it without question...lifetime warranty leh!
The guy that sells told us that they are the OEM mfg for these brands...
Old 06-26-2006 | 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

tcc39,
I got the tel nos for Patrick Tan of Navicom Spore but look like he is always not in the office. The numbers given earlier was 62950996. Do you have his email and hp nos?

After the gtg , hand a bit itchy to get a nuvi GPS

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans