E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='276512' date='May 2 2006, 12:28 AM
We can identify a couple of rest points so that we can regroup in case the convoy is being broken up. So, here's the tentative plan:

1) Make first stop at Pagoh rest station. Allow slower rides to catch up;

2) Exit NS expressway at Nilai Interchange and enter ELITE expressway (Sepang Airport);

3) Make second stop at the Elevated Bridge Restaurant at USJ just after the USJ interchange & regroup ( http://www.plus.com.my/elite/elite_facilities_EBR.asp );

4) Convoy together to the Sg Buloh rest station for lunch.

On the way back, perhaps we may, as an option, want to go for a little fun at the Go-Kart near the USJ Elevated Bridge Restaurant (south bound). We shall see how many are keen and also depends on timing.
My main worry is that we should not leave our rides OUT OF SIGHT lest some others drive off with one or all of them. I heard from a friend of mine who returned from China that there's software that will open any remote controlled door lock, be it Merc, BMW or others, so do BEWARE.

For me, the GO KART is definitely out because that means we leave our rides unattended for too long a period.

BTW, I will probably be driving the E60 along; wanna avoid a repeat of the exchanges after our last trip up north.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='276763' date='May 2 2006, 12:52 PM
My main worry is that we should not leave our rides OUT OF SIGHT

For me, the GO KART is definitely out because that means we leave our rides unattended for too long a period.
Ed, fully understand the issue of safety. If not mistaken, the Sg Buloh rest station car park is within sight from the Satay Stall and it should be safe. The place should be relatively safe. I will check out the place again on my way back in late May.

For Go Kart, it's just an idea for now. I will try to check out the place in anycase and see what sort of condition it is.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:02 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='276763' date='May 2 2006, 12:52 PM
My main worry is that we should not leave our rides OUT OF SIGHT lest some others drive off with one or all of them. I heard from a friend of mine who returned from China that there's software that will open any remote controlled door lock, be it Merc, BMW or others, so do BEWARE.

NOt China precisely, it is Taiwan.
True, it can duplicate your car key within 2 minutes. it is a form of a scanner and can decipher your code in minutes.
it actually works like a "multi"key with hips lots of different codes being scanned and transmitted at one time.
once, your code is correct, it will pop your locks.
So, good luck!
Our 2 installers has also warned me that in Malaysia, they are using it already, so beware guys.

If my schedule permits, i will join the group, till now, i am scheduled to be out of town during that period.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Let's start the row call (for 11 June 2006):

1. Fireplace
2. BZSAB (Tentative subject to travel schedule)
3. tategoi (also tentative subject to travel schedule)
4. Edlee and son ( 80% confirmed)
5. Zig (88.103% confirmed, 11.897% chance to hang around KL until next day)
6. Bugaboo (keen to go, if i'm in town)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by lmk' post='276786' date='May 2 2006, 03:02 AM
NOt China precisely, it is Taiwan.
True, it can duplicate your car key within 2 minutes. it is a form of a scanner and can decipher your code in minutes.
it actually works like a "multi"key with hips lots of different codes being scanned and transmitted at one time.
once, your code is correct, it will pop your locks.
So, good luck!
Our 2 installers has also warned me that in Malaysia, they are using it already, so beware guys.

If my schedule permits, i will join the group, till now, i am scheduled to be out of town during that period.
Don't quite understand your description. But does it mean they will have to scan your code first? (something like when you press your remote key, and they just scan it in). Or it something that will just blast the codes at the car, and once the code is corret, bingo for them?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='276802' date='May 2 2006, 04:54 PM
Don't quite understand your description. But does it mean they will have to scan your code first? (something like when you press your remote key, and they just scan it in). Or it something that will just blast the codes at the car, and once the code is corret, bingo for them?
I heard they don't need your key around, so its like some with a thousand keys going thru your lock, so I gather they "blast the codes". The amazing thing is that they can reset your code so that your own key doesn't work anymore. I think its time to revert back to the god old days of key into keyhole plus an additional padlock like "Mr Bean"
Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='276835' date='May 2 2006, 06:25 AM
I think its time to revert back to the god old days of key into keyhole plus an additional padlock like "Mr Bean"
Exactly what I was thinking. That's why I asked if they "learn" the code while you press the remote key. If that's the case then to play safe one can always revert to physically unlock the car instead. But looks like it will need reprogramming to disable this remote control, if that option actually exists. :'(

Maybe they should update the software such that if it detects sequential code or even different codes coming in at humanly impossible intervals, it just disables the remote control.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='276844' date='May 2 2006, 07:52 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. That's why I asked if they "learn" the code while you press the remote key. If that's the case then to play safe one can always revert to physically unlock the car instead. But looks like it will need reprogramming to disable this remote control, if that option actually exists. :'(

Maybe they should update the software such that if it detects sequential code or even different codes coming in at humanly impossible intervals, it just disables the remote control.
There is no 100% guarantee on the security of the car, key or no key, robbers these days use tow truck, hoist your car and go off. Even multiple padlocks are of no use.

Perhaps a good security feature to have is in the form of a Black Box linked to 3G mobile phone and immediately send video signals once motion detection indicated the car has been moved. Or if the car is being tempered with, it sprays permanent color dye or better still powerful eletric bolt to whoever gained access into the car illegally. Hahaha.

Then again, there is always someone who will break the code. Just have to keep outsmart these robbers and it will always be a catch up game.

Speaking of security, anyone seen or use them before?

http://www.prestige-sg.com
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Members

9 am or 10 am

1. Fireplace
7. 1628 ( i am more for 18th but will go on 11th)

for those who prefer the 18th june 2006 alternative.
1. 1628
regarding safety issue....
my suggestion is to totally avoid kl.

after all we are really doing the run up just to enjoy our ride.

going up in a convoy driving wise would be safe but it will definately draw attention, we are talking about a fleet of e60 on the wanted list and it would be dam easy for the syndicate to prey on us and either one of us losing our ride will destroy the whole experience not to mention should anyone getting hurt in the process..touch wood.

could we by pass kl.

i used to frequent up kl and i did not bat an eye lid, parked every where, but then i was driving a 3 series and it was not on target list so was not worried.

ed..avoid wat r"epeat of the exchanges after our last trip up north"?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1628' post='276855' date='May 2 2006, 08:12 PM

Let's calll it 9 am
1. Fireplace
7. 1628 ( i am more for 18th but will go on 11th)

for those who prefer the 18th june 2006 alternative.
1. 1628
2. Fireplace
I won't go that far to assume the worst. Yes, there are areas that are susceptible to car theft but there is no known incident so far on car theft hitting Sg registered cars at prominent NS highway rest stations, at least not at the big Sg Bulor rest station, otherwise we will hear it on the news already

The proposed driving plan is by-passing KL, and that's why we will exit at Nilai Interchange and reconnect the NS expressway heading North, skipping KL.

Unless syndicate is reading and following our forum, and ambush us....hmmm...doubt so la.

The risk is probably very low. As an option, if the group gets too large, maybe we can hire rest station security guard to jaga our rides? I am sure a bit of incentives would give us peace of mind?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans