E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:20 AM
zag
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='206600
Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='206465' date='Dec 3 2005, 01:40 PM
HELP!

Hi all, I have just collected my ride (525) a couple of days ago and while scrutinizing the car, I discover a faint whistling/hissing/whining sound emiting from the gear knob when I accelerate.

Could someone advice me if you have encountered similar situation with your E60? Mine was a Sep 05 production which came with a start/stop button.

Also, would really appreciate any technical advice on the problem. I plan to bring it back to PML to have it check, and would be useful if I can highlight the probable cause with their technical people. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!

should not be. Maybe something is loose? Is it when accelrating through the gears? Is the sound there when crusing? Try to use steptronic to shift the gears and see if noise still there. It could be anything. Probably need to hoist up and check. You still running in right?
Hi, I really hope it is nothing too complicated to fix. Here's what I have gathered so far after driving almost whole day to further identify the symptom.
1) When idle, no whistling sound.
2) When tap on accelerator on idle (Neutral), no sound either.
3) When accelerate and pick up pace, hissing sound become noticeable, and more audible when accelerate past 2000rpm or after driving for a few minutes. It emits from the gear shift area. When place the ear on the gear knob, the sound is very audible.
4) At cruising speed (80-90km/hr), still can hear the constant hissing sound although tire noise may drown the sound somewhat.
5) The loudness of the sound correspond with the acceleration.
6) It didn't sound like air seepage but definitely some fedbacks associated to the gear mechanism in motion.

Also on a separate issue, I notice some rattling/knocking sound occassionally when turning my steering wheel (Active Steering) to the extreme right when making sharp u turn. So far, I have noted the feedbacks twice out of 10 turns made.

Sigh....always have these small but irritating issues with BMW cars.

If you are going to Kallang this Sunday, maybe you can feel for yourself and give me your expert opinion. I plan to bring this up to PML management but I need to understand better the symptom. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Never experience or heard about reported hissing sound from gear stalk area. The knocking sound i might be familiar with. I got it even at stationary at early age of the car, does it sound like coming from the LH dash? see if i can drop by Kallang sunday afternoon. Wanna check out the HUD in person!

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='206578' date='Dec 4 2005, 12:04 AM
Hiya, my friend had finally decided on the Titanium Grey but was told Dec all sold out except for white. And January shipment onwards all 523 come with sun-roof and HUD as standard, but pricing not fixed yet. How can PML sells cars this way? "Sir, we only have white now, but if you want other colours, you have to wait till next year, and I don't know what price to charge you."

Can you guys help to check with your salespersons at PML please. Thanks.
not surprising at all with that kinda of biz modus operandi!
Wah... all the current 523i owner bang bang again. sunroof and HUD gimmicks will work and drop the resale value again.
HUD was the first thing i want to have when the e60 was launched back couple of years back, sigh... feel like tossing the current ride.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zag' post='206609
Originally Posted by russo' post='206530' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:01 PM
[quote name='Fireplace' post='206465' date='Dec 3 2005, 01:40 PM']
HELP!

Hi all, I have just collected my ride (525) a couple of days ago and while scrutinizing the car, I discover a faint whistling/hissing/whining sound emiting from the gear knob when I accelerate.

Could someone advice me if you have encountered similar situation with your E60? Mine was a Sep 05 production which came with a start/stop button.

Also, would really appreciate any technical advice on the problem. I plan to bring it back to PML to have it check, and would be useful if I can highlight the probable cause with their technical people. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!

should not be. Maybe something is loose? Is it when accelrating through the gears? Is the sound there when crusing? Try to use steptronic to shift the gears and see if noise still there. It could be anything. Probably need to hoist up and check. You still running in right?
Hi, I really hope it is nothing too complicated to fix. Here's what I have gathered so far after driving almost whole day to further identify the symptom.
3) When accelerate and pick up pace, hissing sound become noticeable, and more audible when accelerate past 2000rpm or after driving for a few minutes. It emits from the gear shift area. When place the ear on the gear knob, the sound is very audible.
4) At cruising speed (80-90km/hr), still can hear the constant hissing sound although tire noise may drown the sound somewhat.
6) It didn't sound like air seepage but definitely some fedbacks associated to the gear mechanism in motion.

Also on a separate issue, I notice some rattling/knocking sound occassionally when turning my steering wheel (Active Steering) to the extreme right when making sharp u turn. So far, I have noted the feedbacks twice out of 10 turns made.

If you are going to Kallang this Sunday, maybe you can feel for yourself and give me your expert opinion. I plan to bring this up to PML management but I need to understand better the symptom. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Never experience or heard about reported hissing sound from gear stalk area. The knocking sound i might be familiar with. I got it even at stationary at early age of the car, does it sound like coming from the LH dash? see if i can drop by Kallang sunday afternoon. Wanna check out the HUD in person!

Hiya, my friend had finally decided on the Titanium Grey but was told Dec all sold out except for white. And January shipment onwards all 523 come with sun-roof and HUD as standard, but pricing not fixed yet. How can PML sells cars this way? "Sir, we only have white now, but if you want other colours, you have to wait till next year, and I don't know what price to charge you."

Wah... all the current 523i owner bang bang again. sunroof and HUD gimmicks will work and drop the resale value again.
HUD was the first thing i want to have when the e60 was launched back couple of years back, sigh... feel like tossing the current ride.
[/quote]

no bang bang lah.523 at 169k bang for bucks. cant see the point of push start button still have to stick key in.sunroof for a 5 series what for.hud that have check out.sales rep sales 178k for 523i.

hud is an option dont know is it ex

dont buy white ..loose on resale so i was told by pml
Old 12-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by BoneDoc' post='206572' date='Dec 3 2005, 10:49 AM
Ugh! The right rear door on my 3 month old 523 has started creaking. I thought that I would be spared this, given the new door seals (presumably). I guess BMW still hasn't got it right.
haha. Welcome to the club Bonedoc - my 520 makes so much noise that i try & drown it all out with the ipod
Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zag' post='206609
Originally Posted by russo' post='206530' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:01 PM
HELP!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Zag,
No, the knocking sound did not come from LH dash. Not quite sure what it could be cos only happened a couple of times when turning but not long enough to spot what could be the problem. I find the interior fitting quaility of E60 has dropped compared to E39 when collected new 4.5 years ago. I heard a few knocking sounds in the E60, something not tightly secured.

As for the gear hissing, this remain my biggest irritation now. Shift to Sport mode still there. The thing is, when start off cold, not so bad. More audible when engine warms up after a few minutes of drive. Puzzle...
Old 12-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Members

Just to share. After 3 days with my new ride, here's what I think of some of the features of the car:

1. The HUD is indeed a good feature. Default setting will only show a plain digital speedometer readout in orange. Upon engaging GPS, it will display the Arrow direction, which is neat. It will also display Cruise Control setting when it is enabled. The brightness is decent at night and during day time. One drawback is the display is positioned a bit too low on the windscreen, and if I set my seat position lower, bottom part of the HUD readout (speedometer) is lost.

2. The start/stop button is senseless without comfort access. I prefer the old fashion key. The only good thing is, the key is thinner and sits better in the pocket. The push start button is so hidden and blocked by the steering wheel. Once insert the key, had a hard time locating the start button by feel. Maybe it will take a while to familiarize the location by feel.

3. The Comfort Seat is really great. Just wish it has massage functions like the Osim chair..hehe. The passenger seat now has memory function, which is great.

4. The Active Steering takes a while to get used to. Encountered some knocking sounds when making sharp right turn occassionally. Not sure if it comes from the steering or other loose components in the car. Hear other rattling and knocking sounds in the cabin. Fitting quality not as good as before.

5. Voice Control hard to use. Need to memorize all the voice command. Guess need more practice and repeated use to get the hang of it. I personally think this will be one of the least utilized function for me.

6. Carbon Black is not black at all. Very close to Orient Blue except duller in the blue hue.

7. Adaptive headlight is not very useful in well lit singapore streets. In fact, could not really tell the tilting when turning. Notice that the adaptive headlight does not really tilt to the right, only to the left..hmmm... When engaged on Adaptive headlight, it also enables auto driving lights control. However, under cloudy sky, it switches on the light automatically. Only when there is strong sunlight will the light switch off automatically. Is there a way to adjust the ambient light conditions to control when the auto light should turned on?

8. PDC display on the monitor is cool but I feel the sensing speed is slower that the old fashion beeping PDC. Maybe just my perception. Also, the PDC sceen remains on for a long time after shifting the gear to N or P, and I have to disengage the PDC manually at a button next to DTC switch.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by russo' post='206530
HELP!

[/quote]

Yo, Russell, done a few more investigations and the hissing sound seems to go away when engaged in DS/Steptronic mode. It appears to only present in Normal D mode. In fact, in the Normal D Mode, I tried to nudge and hold the gear shift sideways while accelerating and the hissing sound sort of disappeared but came back when I release my hand from the gear shifter. The sound came about when acceleration is applied. Crusing without stepping on accelerator doesn't seem to have the hissing sound. Any technical assumptions on what could have caused that?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1628' post='206804
Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='206600' date='Dec 4 2005, 12:43 AM
[quote name='russo' post='206530' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:01 PM']
HELP!

[/quote]

[/quote]

no bang bang lah.523 at 169k bang for bucks. cant see the point of push start button still have to stick key in.sunroof for a 5 series what for.hud that have check out.sales rep sales 178k for 523i.

hud is an option dont know is it ex

dont buy white ..loose on resale so i was told by pml
[/quote]
Hi Tony (Hope I get the name right),
Nice meeting you today. I think a sports suspension is a good investment. On my way back from Kallang today, I almost got into a collision with a car turning into the expressway, completely ignoring my hi beam and honking. I have to make an evasive swirl and we missed contact by about 1 feet. I thought my 3 day old car sure bang already. Luckily escaped.

What impressed me was the tyre grip (PS 2), Bite onto the road hard at about 80km/hr and the car remained extremely composed and steady with the sports suspension. There was hardly any roll and I regained straight line quickly.

My heart skipped a beat but relieved that I have a set of great tyres and good suspension set up. Phew...
Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Members

yo kelvin,
a 525 surely is a 525 's worth .i noticed the difference even just being a passenger that you acceleration was smoother and creamier and of course that 40bhp more.

your navigation and hud very cool.

yep i will go ahead and do up sports suspension and i am keen too on doing up sound insulation.

seems like you are a perfectionist and i dont blame you since you have spent so much.do ensure they meet your satisfaction.you got me listening very carefully to my car now...ha ha.

yep ps2 dam good.roars on the road depending on the surface.careful though,on high speed,once i aqua planed.

few weeks ago too,my car few days old almost kenna hit by a malay reg car.came charging from left lane into mine, have no choice except to hit the brakes hard, we got alot more to lose.

you got a good car there
see you around
Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Members

nice meeting you all,

lmk that rear cam of the bumper can be very handy where can i get one to help me with my parking.our pdc dam annoying beeping way way too early.

can some one provide the web sites for downloading those gps maps
thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 AM
lmk
Contributors

HI All,

Glad to meet up with all of you and lots of chat and chats. Lots of laughter about the wing flaps!

If i have no chance to speak to each and everyone of you, my apologies.
But anytime, you may approach me for any doubts you have on the setup.

I see alot of new faces today, other than Zag, tategooi and Bugaboo, almost all are new! A very good sign.
managed to catch up with HUD the first time. Love the GPS display on fireplace's ride. And i kinda of love the "blue black" color you have. Honestly, for once i thought it was black initially, then i realised it was blue, finally, i realised it is Black!

Hope we can learn more of the E60 and the continuous improvements from BMW.

1628, if you use Garmin receiver ( from www.garmin.com) or enroute (also garmin) in a PC (like mine in VPC for minimac) you download maps free from www.malsingmaps.com they update the maps very frequently.

As i am leaving for BKK and HK next tuesday, the next 14 days i may not be able to reply any PM, but i will check occassionally.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans