E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='206465' date='Dec 3 2005, 01:40 PM
HELP!

Hi all, I have just collected my ride (525) a couple of days ago and while scrutinizing the car, I discover a faint whistling/hissing/whining sound emiting from the gear knob when I accelerate.

Could someone advice me if you have encountered similar situation with your E60? Mine was a Sep 05 production which came with a start/stop button.

Also, would really appreciate any technical advice on the problem. I plan to bring it back to PML to have it check, and would be useful if I can highlight the probable cause with their technical people. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!

should not be. Maybe something is loose? Is it when accelrating through the gears? Is the sound there when crusing? Try to use steptronic to shift the gears and see if noise still there. It could be anything. Probably need to hoist up and check. You still running in right?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by lmk' post='205907' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:22 AM
let's confirm on Mac Kallang. 4pm.

Gentlemen,

Due to some last minute matters, i will be there slightly later at 4:30pm to 4:45pm.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Of course, if can make it earlier, i will.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by lmk' post='205907' date='Dec 1 2005, 09:22 PM
let's confirm on Mac Kallang. 4pm.
Hi LMK & Ed,

once again thx for helping all of us with the interface box for the idrive screen.
Unfortunately could not find a replacement doc - so have to be in clinic tomorrow

i will email Ed to settle payment & collection of the unit when it arrives.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

hi guys,
one of the sellers of the cam sent me these pictures of it installed on the cefiro.
http://community.webshots.com/album/514486003bhNBFB
Old 12-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

also noticed that "road feel" is better without active steering. Been driving wife's 523 - seem to be able to 'feel" bumps on the road - parked on stone tiles with holes for the grass to grow & could feel the bumps

on my 520 with active steering - been in & out of the same lots for the last 2 years & didnt feel any bumps.
would actually prefer to be spared the feeling the bumps

the steering without active steering is heavier but feels more like a BMW of old.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 -- E60 coming soon

Ugh! The right rear door on my 3 month old 523 has started creaking. I thought that I would be spared this, given the new door seals (presumably). I guess BMW still hasn't got it right.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='206547' date='Dec 3 2005, 10:01 PM
hi guys,
one of the sellers of the cam sent me these pictures of it installed on the cefiro.
http://community.webshots.com/album/514486003bhNBFB
yup, and the size is very small compared to the one i hv.
my installer do it for Cefiro and 350Z fairlady.
it is a wide angle cam.

but what i need is only occassional. like the need to know how close am i nearing the car behind me during parking and how close am i nearing the wall, that's all. that is why i adjusted it to "look" at me bumper.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Hiya, my friend had finally decided on the Titanium Grey but was told Dec all sold out except for white. And January shipment onwards all 523 come with sun-roof and HUD as standard, but pricing not fixed yet. How can PML sells cars this way? "Sir, we only have white now, but if you want other colours, you have to wait till next year, and I don't know what price to charge you."

Can you guys help to check with your salespersons at PML please. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:17 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='206578' date='Dec 4 2005, 12:04 AM
Hiya, my friend had finally decided on the Titanium Grey but was told Dec all sold out except for white. And January shipment onwards all 523 come with sun-roof and HUD as standard, but pricing not fixed yet. How can PML sells cars this way? "Sir, we only have white now, but if you want other colours, you have to wait till next year, and I don't know what price to charge you."

Can you guys help to check with your salespersons at PML please. Thanks.
maybe same price? or maybe lower? should not differ that much.
HUD is a nice feature. Or maybe new colours should be avail by then.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by russo' post='206530
HELP!

Hi all, I have just collected my ride (525) a couple of days ago and while scrutinizing the car, I discover a faint whistling/hissing/whining sound emiting from the gear knob when I accelerate.

Could someone advice me if you have encountered similar situation with your E60? Mine was a Sep 05 production which came with a start/stop button.

Also, would really appreciate any technical advice on the problem. I plan to bring it back to PML to have it check, and would be useful if I can highlight the probable cause with their technical people. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!

should not be. Maybe something is loose? Is it when accelrating through the gears? Is the sound there when crusing? Try to use steptronic to shift the gears and see if noise still there. It could be anything. Probably need to hoist up and check. You still running in right?
[/quote]

Hi, I really hope it is nothing too complicated to fix. Here's what I have gathered so far after driving almost whole day to further identify the symptom.
1) When idle, no whistling sound.
2) When tap on accelerator on idle (Neutral), no sound either.
3) When accelerate and pick up pace, hissing sound become noticeable, and more audible when accelerate past 2000rpm or after driving for a few minutes. It emits from the gear shift area. When place the ear on the gear knob, the sound is very audible.
4) At cruising speed (80-90km/hr), still can hear the constant hissing sound although tire noise may drown the sound somewhat.
5) The loudness of the sound correspond with the acceleration.
6) It didn't sound like air seepage but definitely some fedbacks associated to the gear mechanism in motion.

Also on a separate issue, I notice some rattling/knocking sound occassionally when turning my steering wheel (Active Steering) to the extreme right when making sharp u turn. So far, I have noted the feedbacks twice out of 10 turns made.

Sigh....always have these small but irritating issues with BMW cars.

If you are going to Kallang this Sunday, maybe you can feel for yourself and give me your expert opinion. I plan to bring this up to PML management but I need to understand better the symptom. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans