E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M-trois' date='Jan 10 2005, 04:25 PM
Very,very interesting thread.? ?
[snapback]77682[/snapback]
We all know how to calculate the base price of a car given the OMV and COE. And we are prepared to let PML earns around $30-40k a car. So it is now irrelevant how much commission a salesperson makes. We are all suckers buying a BMW in Singapore, pardon me for saying this. But we know how to enjoy life, we undertand the pleasure of driving, so let the salesperson earns her keep lah

IMHO, I don't think the commission from loans can be that lucrative.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dindae520i' date='Jan 10 2005, 03:08 PM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Jan 8 2005, 02:04 AM']For me I have just concluded a deal to beat Logic 7, should be installed in 2 weeks' time? ?
[snapback]76715[/snapback]
I am very interested to know what kind of options we have besides Logic 7, since I am a BIG sucker for good sound. Please fill us in here. It's killing me!!
[snapback]77678[/snapback]
[/quote]

Besides the usual upgrades of amps and speakers, the brain behind this upgrade is a processor with equalizer and time alignment. High level signal from the stock head unit will be converted to the lows and feed into this this processor. It will be tuned to house-curve and each channel time-aligned to ensure that the vocal is at the centre of the dash and the bass is upfront. The objective is to mimmick a listening position as if you are sitting at the centre of 2 loudspeakers, just like how you'd listen to music at home
Old 01-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ed520' date='Jan 10 2005, 12:29 PM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Jan 7 2005, 12:04 PM']We all have different interests with regards to the enhancements we are putting on our cars. For me I have just concluded a deal to beat Logic 7, should be installed in 2 weeks' time? ?
[snapback]76715[/snapback]
hey what kind of deal is that? sure it can beat logic 7? fill us in on the details...
[snapback]77659[/snapback]
[/quote]

It should beat Logic 7. I can't imagine the 4" mids at the doors of E60 producing sweet and rich vocal. Neither can I imagine a pair of 6.5" subwoofers under the seat deliver enough ooomph at low end. And I don't sit in front of the right loudspeaker when listening to music at home

My intended set-up will cut off the original mids and subwoofers, and install a pair 6.5" mids at the doors and another pair of 10" subs at the rear parcel shelf.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Hi Cheech. You may not understand the rational for taxes on cars here in SINGAPORE, but it is necessary. You see, SINGAPORE is such a small island as compared to alot of other countries. Our Government has studied the traffic problems of many other countries in Asia and came up with the justification. Yes; they are encouraging the population against owning cars because cars take up space, contribute to pollution, etc. There was a time when most SINGAPORE roads were clogged up with cars and people could not get to work on time and emergency vehicles could not reach destinations in a timely manner. They have not done that and left us to the mercy of cab drivers. They have in fact introduced the MRT which is as efficient as any other in the world. Rates are also very competitive. Our bus fares are also some of the cheapest worldwide. Even our cab fares are comparably less expensive than most. I was in the UK last year and paid approx 18 GBP for a short cab ride that would have cost me SGD 10 in SINGAPORE. We therefore are not experiencing such a bad deal over here.

Our govenment has made it very easy and affordable to commute to and from work using public transport and this is one of the responsibilities of every good government.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Jan 10 2005, 07:45 AM
Ed, I am prepared to lose the warranty for parts that are faulty due to the upgrade that I have undertaken. PML cannot claimed that my suspensions leak as a result of the hifi upgrade, or that the auto transmission gave way because of the subwoofers that I have installed, if you get what I mean. I am sure PML would be understanding regarding the warranty issue, well, I hope.

My installer called me last week, finally, after a 6-month wait, that he is now confident to do ICE on an E60. I already have the equipment from my previous ride, so I will recycle what I have. They are mainly Diamond Audio amps and subs, and DSL components for the front. I have heard about the Genesis, the British amp is very expensive.
[snapback]77713[/snapback]
Tategoi, don't get me wrong. I am not trying to stop you. I am sure PML can't penalise you for oil leak or a suspension problem that is not related to the ICE. However, please bear in mind that the E60 relies heavily on electronice. Your ICE will be connected to the electrical system of the car. PML can penalise you should your i-drive or engine management fail. The E60's system is really very sensitive to outside interference.
Let me quote you a personal experience I had with my 735 LI. I had heard about the "magnet" that would improve your fuel consumption and car performance. A friend of mine installed them (clipped onto the fuel line) on his Mitsubishi and would swear over his father's grave that it benefitted him. I was won over and parted with SGD 98.00 for a pair of magnets. Fitted them onto my fuel line and hoped for the best. The problems started less than a week later. My i-drive gave me problems and the electronics started behaving abnormally. There was, however no problems at all with timing or performance. It was only after a month of problems that I got to think of the magnets. I finally decided to remove the magnets just to prove that they did not interfere with the system. You may not believe it, but the car behaved like it should right after that. If you want them, I still have the pair of magnets in my drawer at home.
As you can see, just a pair of magnets can interfere with the car's electronics. ICE really drains quite some voltage from your car's battery. In some Japanese makes fitted with ICE, you can actually see the headlamps dim with the beat.

Just be careful, my friend.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride:

Edlee, thanks very much. Now I do understand that the high taxation is a must, and owning a
vehicle is kind of luxury habit. Again, I think your country is much better organized than ours.
If you drive in Japan, especially in Tokyo area, you'll be very disappoited. Jams,jams,jams...
just as bad as in Bangkok, I guess.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Cheech !
Old 01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 10 2005, 06:37 PM
Welcome aboard, Cheech !
[snapback]77909[/snapback]
Was wondering where you were when Cheech posted the first 2 posts last night (or noon in Germany)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Members

PML having a Chinese New Year promotion for E60 520i. It is currently selling at about $180,000. PML trying to clear stock for the 520i as the new E60 with valvetronics engine will come in around June this year when there will be only 523i, 525i and 530i for sale and no more 520i. The 523i is likely to be at least $8 to $10k more than the current 520i. There is also talk of a 518i for the Singapore market but this is not confirmed. Morale of the story is - wait patiently to buy car in Singapore as the longer you wait, the better car you get with more options and at cheaper price.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Jan 11 2005, 02:16 AM
Was wondering where you were when Cheech posted the first 2 posts last night (or noon in Germany)
[snapback]77944[/snapback]
At work I am not reading the forum anymore. I only log on at night from home.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans