E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi everyone,

Just want to voice my 2 cents worth after hearing the voices of dissention. If I had a choice, I too would opt to remove that annoying warning message which starts up every time I turn the engine on. I read somewhere on another thread that somebody from the USA actually managed to bypass the warning message with an overriding chip/mod. However, he claims that it results in other problems such as conflicts with the CD player and phone prep. I have a feeling that removing the warning message may not be as simple as it sounds. If removing the message is going to create problems I'd rather live with it.

On the issue of going to the press, I hate to say this but they may not be so inclined to listen. I have experienced this before and I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing so. I am just hoping to revise the expectations of anyone who is considering this route so that they will not be disappointed and can prepare for alternative action or plan B if plan A fails. I had an issue with McDonalds (cockroach found in my burger). I contacted the ST and even Streats. Nobody was even vaguely interested in the matter. Later, I contacted a friend who used to work for SPH. She claimed that the press may not be inclined to publish negative reports of their larger clients without concrete evidence. Just imagine, companies like PML, McDonalds, & C&C spend millions of dollars every year on advertising. The press isn't going to jepoardize their multi-million dollar relationships with these clients over a few disgruntled customers. It's just a question of knowing which side their bread is buttered.

I think Edlee's suggestion is good. Going to the LTA to highlight safety issues is a good move, since this is an area of public interest and concern. Furthermore, the LTA being a large organization will have more clout. It's something I learnt in the States. When you're going to take on the big boys, it's always advantages to join another equally large or poweful faction that can mediate on your behalf. Another suggestion that may work is to enroll for AA (Automobile Association not Alcoholics Anonymous ) membership. Once you're a member, you can approach them for help regarding your grieveances with PML. You could call them first to see if they would be willing to help before actually deciding to sign on as a member. Other than that, the only alternative is to get as many people who have experienced the same problems as yourself and seek legal recourse in the form of a good lawyer. If the case does go to court, this in itself would generate negative publicity for PML. Just think, who would stand to lose more from this .

Last but not least, I would like to know if I have to reset the tyre pressure indicator after changing the stock 16" rims to 18" aftermarkets. Anyone who has changed their wheels outside PML care to enlighten me on this? Thanks and I hope what I've said proves useful.

Regards,
Stormrider
Old 10-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stormrider' date='Oct 7 2004, 10:38 AM
Last but not least, I would like to know if I have to reset the tyre pressure indicator after changing the stock 16" rims to 18" aftermarkets. Anyone who has changed their wheels outside PML care to enlighten me on this? Thanks and I hope what I've said proves useful.

Regards,
Stormrider
[snapback]42008[/snapback]
Yes, it is advisable to reset the RPA everytime the tire pressure is changed. You may also need to do wheel alignment when youi are changing rims.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:42 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

I have good news for sg e60s.

Just got a call from Frank Zauna (spell!?) BMW Asia Aftersales service rep.

The warning message in the idrive is meant for US market only. The ECE (European) version of the software PML picked up was an error in the programming.

Yes! BMW Asia said it is an error and they have gotten the headquarters to rectify this with the latest software. This latest fix will be without the warning message and it will be 3 to 4 weeks from now when it will be released to PML.

I am surprised by the fact that BMW Asia is aware of the problem and is taking steps to fixing it contrary to what we are hearing from PML. So who is playing the devil here?

Anyway, I had a very pleasant conversation with Frank and I appreciate it, now he has to prove that he is worthy of his words when i get the software rev into my car.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

What a turn-around! Congratulations. Your relentless pursuit had finally paid off
Old 10-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Hey SPOREANS ! My parents just ordered 630ci in singapore and it will be delivered by the end of this yr. There will be only 4 cars of 630ci in Singapore nxt year. Sounds cool huh ?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

Zag,

Your news make my day! Yes, finally they admit their mistake.

Question now is did Robert Friend go this far for us? If he had, he should be the one delivering it to us; and if he hasn't, well, then somebody else should be doing after sales.

If he is reading this thread, then our PEROGATIVE works !
Old 10-08-2004, 02:28 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Got my ride back today! It took them 5 days to fix all the problems i have..

Faulty restraint system - Belt tensioner was faulty
Seat Occupancy detection recall - new program now display "belted man"on the dashboard if occupant doesn't buckle up!

Door creaks - They use Carbaflo this time for this fourth time fix. (If they creak again I want all doors to be changed)

Squeaky brakes - CSA said they just cleaned them up. Hell, the idrive tells me my front and back brake pad has 40K and 50k km life vs what remember to be around 8k km left. Did they change brake pads FOC for me? Normally they would put a warning tag for not braking hard for the first 250km!?? CSA is checking.

I really missed the e60 for the last five days especially having to put up with a Hyundai Sonata loaner. Arghh!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Guest_kiasu king_*

zag, good to hear they finally heard you! I am still waiting for my PDC and bootlid release button to arrive. PML already collected 50% of $3,200 from me and earning interest everyday from the bank.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Zag,

Did Carbaflo work? Did they remove the friction tape? If they need 5 days to solve those problem, my guess is that they also changed the brake pads.

Mine has 7000km shown and I have done approx 12500 km - question is does the front brake pads work only for 20,000 km?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Oct 7 2004, 03:46 AM
Hey SPOREANS ! My parents just ordered 630ci in singapore and it will be delivered by the end of this yr. There will be only 4 cars of 630ci in Singapore nxt year. Sounds cool huh ?
[snapback]42096[/snapback]
well i guess in a way it would be pretty exclusive since those on the roads now are all 645ci.....

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans