E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Watch the Youtube video posted its pretty self explanatory, if any cams show up in the select list after you do a search youre good. If 1 particular cam is not showing up, then that particular cam could have been put in place after the cam data is collected.

Mine works fine here in Denver.

One thing I did notice from the 2009 disc to the 2010 disc is some of the Hwy showing up on my map are in red color. Anyone else notice that??? I wonder why they did that
Yes, I did , I think I noticed the following..
(a) The highways are shown in RED
(b) Most of the roads with divider are shown in split (which is nice)
((c)) NO more whether the destination is on right or left (just you have arrived!)
(d) Its faster than 2009.1

Can some one add any more to this list?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Contributors

Thank you to everyone who has helped with this thread. For those who were/are as ignorant as I am about torrent and iso files, the order of what to do is:

1) Download the disc you want from the one of two posted in this thread. I'm East Coast so I only downloaded the "Disc 1 with Cams". I couldn't understand why the file was so small until I realized that it's not an iso file (even though that's what everyone in the know was calling it), it's a torrent file. To open it, which then enables you to download the MUCH larger 3.8GB file, you have to have special software installed on your computer.

2) I did some googling and found this FREE program highly recommended on a reputable advice site:

http://www.utorrent.com

Download and install and you will see that your computer (mine is Windows 7) automatically assigns the software program to the small 20k iso.torrent file you downloaded in #1 above. It's a green square with what looks like an upside down white 'h'.

3) Open your uTorrent software and you can drag and drop the 20k file right into the main white area and it will automatically begin downloading the large 3.8GB file. When I first opened the software it wanted to run two tests, and I allowed it to. I also allowed it to automatically bypass my Windows Firewall because it was recommended as a reputable company from my research. All you have to do is say 'yes' and let it set everything up automatically.

4) Downloading the 3.8GB file is going to take quite a bit of time even if you have cable broadband like I do. Mine is indicating 7.5 hours. I clicked on "Options" in the top left corner of uTorrent 2.0.2 > selected "Auto Shutdown" at the bottom of the menu > selected "Hibernate when downloads complete". I'm going to bed so should find the one file downloaded successfully when I wake up. Keeping fingers crossed...

5) THIS download will be your actual .iso file that has to be burned to a "DVD+R Single Sided" DVD. Do not use the "DVD-R", nor the dual layer DVD. Obviously, your computer has to be able to burn DVD's.

6) You'll also need special software that can burn an .iso/image file to your DVD. Again, after googling and reading through this thread and the links provided, I downloaded the FREE ImgBurn program from:

http://www.imgburn.com/

He provides this for free and understandably has a lot of advertising all over his site for other software companies that provide him with a commission. Unfortunately, his own software download link is almost hidden and it's easy to click the wrong link. Scroll down the page past all the images, about half way, and you'll see a blue "News" bar with "ImgBurn v2.5.1.0 Released! Tuesday 16th March 2010" as the most recent post. Click on the "Click here to download!" link and install. (Neither one of these two programs came with Crapware installed with them.)

7) Insert your DVD+R disc in your DVD burner.

8) Open up your ImgBurn software and select "Write image file to disc". In my window it's the top left graphic of the 6 options.

9) You have 3 things to do from the next menu page:

a) "Please select a file..." from your computer -- the 3.8GB .iso file that took many hours to download (or whatever one you downloaded for your own needs)

b) Click on the "Write Speed" box under "Settings" in the lower right column and select "1x". Yes, this is the slowest setting, but I found multiple BMW posts from guys who had used faster settings and their car didn't accept/read the disc properly. They went back and tried the "1x" setting and all was well. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

c) Click the 'Burn' graphic in the lower left corner -- the small disc on a folded blue page to the silver DVD disc.

10) When it's finished you should have a fully functioning 2010 Navigation disc to insert in your car and use. The vast majority of everyone posting in this thread and from the even longer thread in the other BMW fan forums has reported success after they waited the 5 minutes as directed by their car.

Of course, after you have evaluated all of the improvements this new update provides in the $2,000 Navigation of your $60,000+ premium motorcar, I hope you will gladly drive to your local BMW dealer and purchase the $200 official copy and throw out this free one. That goes without writing -- I know, I know -- but where do you think all the money comes from to pay for those donuts, bagels, soup, coffee, and bottled water you enjoy wilst having your car serviced? Huh? Huh? See, you didn't think about that now didya?

Good luck!

I hope this helps others who were as lost as I was. This is my way of giving back and showing my gratitude to everyone else who shared all the links, info, and tips!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Any NY'ers (or anyone) wanna toss me this DVD (2009.1) or later...my little netbook does not have a cd/dvd drive...
Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Platinum Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota leather, Sport Package, Steptronic, Moonroof, Nav, Sirius, HUD, PDC,

Check EBay for OEM Nav disc. I've done it with good results. New discs are $200 but if you can find an OEM disc 1-2 years older than current year you can update your old disc for around $30-$50. You must determine the correct type Nav disc for your car type and location. Also beware of buying a "copy" which is s/w piracy and also might be of questionable quality. Stick with a used OEM disc.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Members

My Ride: Newest: 2006 e61 530xiT, 6spd man, Sport/Prem/Cold/Nav pkgs Next: 1999 e36 Z3c 2.8, SN 00002, 5spd First: 1988 e30 M3, "M Monster" track-day car, 3.2L s52 conversion, roll cage, wicked suspension, Quaiffe ATB diff, 3.46 gears, 285hp @ crank, 2700lbs....not slow.

Google "e90post-bmwnav2010proa.iso" (disc 1) and "e90post-bmwnav2010prob.iso" (disc 2), then do some more Googling on using USENET to download.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Members

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac and can't seem to download the 2010.1 nav software via any of these links. Any help from other Mac users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
Thank you to everyone who has helped with this thread. For those who were/are as ignorant as I am about torrent and iso files, the order of what to do is:

1) Download the disc you want from the one of two posted in this thread. I'm East Coast so I only downloaded the "Disc 1 with Cams". I couldn't understand why the file was so small until I realized that it's not an iso file (even though that's what everyone in the know was calling it), it's a torrent file. To open it, which then enables you to download the MUCH larger 3.8GB file, you have to have special software installed on your computer.

2) I did some googling and found this FREE program highly recommended on a reputable advice site:

http://www.utorrent.com

Download and install and you will see that your computer (mine is Windows 7) automatically assigns the software program to the small 20k iso.torrent file you downloaded in #1 above. It's a green square with what looks like an upside down white 'h'.

3) Open your uTorrent software and you can drag and drop the 20k file right into the main white area and it will automatically begin downloading the large 3.8GB file. When I first opened the software it wanted to run two tests, and I allowed it to. I also allowed it to automatically bypass my Windows Firewall because it was recommended as a reputable company from my research. All you have to do is say 'yes' and let it set everything up automatically.

4) Downloading the 3.8GB file is going to take quite a bit of time even if you have cable broadband like I do. Mine is indicating 7.5 hours. I clicked on "Options" in the top left corner of uTorrent 2.0.2 > selected "Auto Shutdown" at the bottom of the menu > selected "Hibernate when downloads complete". I'm going to bed so should find the one file downloaded successfully when I wake up. Keeping fingers crossed...

5) THIS download will be your actual .iso file that has to be burned to a "DVD+R Single Sided" DVD. Do not use the "DVD-R", nor the dual layer DVD. Obviously, your computer has to be able to burn DVD's.

6) You'll also need special software that can burn an .iso/image file to your DVD. Again, after googling and reading through this thread and the links provided, I downloaded the FREE ImgBurn program from:

http://www.imgburn.com/

He provides this for free and understandably has a lot of advertising all over his site for other software companies that provide him with a commission. Unfortunately, his own software download link is almost hidden and it's easy to click the wrong link. Scroll down the page past all the images, about half way, and you'll see a blue "News" bar with "ImgBurn v2.5.1.0 Released! Tuesday 16th March 2010" as the most recent post. Click on the "Click here to download!" link and install. (Neither one of these two programs came with Crapware installed with them.)

7) Insert your DVD+R disc in your DVD burner.

8) Open up your ImgBurn software and select "Write image file to disc". In my window it's the top left graphic of the 6 options.

9) You have 3 things to do from the next menu page:

a) "Please select a file..." from your computer -- the 3.8GB .iso file that took many hours to download (or whatever one you downloaded for your own needs)

b) Click on the "Write Speed" box under "Settings" in the lower right column and select "1x". Yes, this is the slowest setting, but I found multiple BMW posts from guys who had used faster settings and their car didn't accept/read the disc properly. They went back and tried the "1x" setting and all was well. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

c) Click the 'Burn' graphic in the lower left corner -- the small disc on a folded blue page to the silver DVD disc.

10) When it's finished you should have a fully functioning 2010 Navigation disc to insert in your car and use. The vast majority of everyone posting in this thread and from the even longer thread in the other BMW fan forums has reported success after they waited the 5 minutes as directed by their car.

Of course, after you have evaluated all of the improvements this new update provides in the $2,000 Navigation of your $60,000+ premium motorcar, I hope you will gladly drive to your local BMW dealer and purchase the $200 official copy and throw out this free one. That goes without writing -- I know, I know -- but where do you think all the money comes from to pay for those donuts, bagels, soup, coffee, and bottled water you enjoy wilst having your car serviced? Huh? Huh? See, you didn't think about that now didya?

Good luck!

I hope this helps others who were as lost as I was. This is my way of giving back and showing my gratitude to everyone else who shared all the links, info, and tips!
excellent,good job!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

For an impartial evaluation I have tested this theory for us all?..

I downloaded the 2010.1 from a torrent site (Argh ha me hearties??)

I burnt at auto speed by mistake, probably went at max which is x16 speed, would suggest slower!

Stuck the disc in this morning, left the car for 30 mins and it works!

Not sure I can see much difference from my 2005.1 I had have currently.

It is a little slow to load at first, give it time to load the maps where you are and away she goes. POI around me a poor, a hospital and Southampton airport is about all!!

Still no 7 digit postcode or even 5 digits!

You'll be pleased to know I have thrown the copy away, deleted the files and returned to my 2005.1, honest

The TomTom app on my Jailbroken IPhone is much better!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM
ET7
Members

i drove a 2010 535i and noticed it has a different layout on idrive than the 2008 ones. Is that from the Nav update? or its the Idrive itself? if so, can we change the 08's to look like the 10' layout?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ET7
i drove a 2010 535i and noticed it has a different layout on idrive than the 2008 ones. Is that from the Nav update? or its the Idrive itself? if so, can we change the 08's to look like the 10' layout?
Its totally new generation I-drive and Hard drive based Nav.

Quick Reply: BMW Nav update