E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
ET7
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so there is nothing that can be done correct?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by ET7
so there is nothing that can be done correct?

Thats correct, its a totally different system. There is a posting of a member on here and the e90 boards that is doing a full idrive conversion, but I think the jury is still out on the difficulty of the swap and the cost seems like its prohibitive.

So we are just stuck with our plain old iDrive system, and since the new F10 is here, I highly doubt we'll ever see much change in the future. Oh well we can always spend another $65K on a new car!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM
ET7
Members

damn this sucks cuz the 08 idrive looks like a 1990's windows 95 system OS
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

I'm just thankful to have accurate map data!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport LCI Tails w/ V6 Cables MTEC 2.1 AE's 6K HID Xenon 6K HID Fogs HID Reverse Kit Front LED Turn signals LED Sidemarkers Eugene Eyebrow Mod Ricky's Brake effect Mod Fade on/off AE's and LCI Rods M5 cluster mod Interior/Trunk LED's License Plate LED's All Lighting parts thanks to John (Brabusw209amg)! All mods done by Simon (nomis_nehc) and Jorge (GS) LCI tails thanks to double s! V6 cables thanks to Bruce!

Just wanted to say thanks for the info in this thread!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

Originally Posted by ET7
damn this sucks cuz the 08 idrive looks like a 1990's windows 95 system OS
the only time I feel bad... is when i see the new system.... I always just advert my eyes
Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

I am a newbie to this so your help is needed. I downloaded the torrent then downloaded the iso file. The only problem is that the iso file is now a zip file. What do I need to do next? Unzip the file and look for the .iso file to burn? I am a little lost. Please help.

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
Thank you to everyone who has helped with this thread. For those who were/are as ignorant as I am about torrent and iso files, the order of what to do is:

1) Download the disc you want from the one of two posted in this thread. I'm East Coast so I only downloaded the "Disc 1 with Cams". I couldn't understand why the file was so small until I realized that it's not an iso file (even though that's what everyone in the know was calling it), it's a torrent file. To open it, which then enables you to download the MUCH larger 3.8GB file, you have to have special software installed on your computer.

2) I did some googling and found this FREE program highly recommended on a reputable advice site:

http://www.utorrent.com

Download and install and you will see that your computer (mine is Windows 7) automatically assigns the software program to the small 20k iso.torrent file you downloaded in #1 above. It's a green square with what looks like an upside down white 'h'.

3) Open your uTorrent software and you can drag and drop the 20k file right into the main white area and it will automatically begin downloading the large 3.8GB file. When I first opened the software it wanted to run two tests, and I allowed it to. I also allowed it to automatically bypass my Windows Firewall because it was recommended as a reputable company from my research. All you have to do is say 'yes' and let it set everything up automatically.

4) Downloading the 3.8GB file is going to take quite a bit of time even if you have cable broadband like I do. Mine is indicating 7.5 hours. I clicked on "Options" in the top left corner of uTorrent 2.0.2 > selected "Auto Shutdown" at the bottom of the menu > selected "Hibernate when downloads complete". I'm going to bed so should find the one file downloaded successfully when I wake up. Keeping fingers crossed...

5) THIS download will be your actual .iso file that has to be burned to a "DVD+R Single Sided" DVD. Do not use the "DVD-R", nor the dual layer DVD. Obviously, your computer has to be able to burn DVD's.

6) You'll also need special software that can burn an .iso/image file to your DVD. Again, after googling and reading through this thread and the links provided, I downloaded the FREE ImgBurn program from:

http://www.imgburn.com/

He provides this for free and understandably has a lot of advertising all over his site for other software companies that provide him with a commission. Unfortunately, his own software download link is almost hidden and it's easy to click the wrong link. Scroll down the page past all the images, about half way, and you'll see a blue "News" bar with "ImgBurn v2.5.1.0 Released! Tuesday 16th March 2010" as the most recent post. Click on the "Click here to download!" link and install. (Neither one of these two programs came with Crapware installed with them.)

7) Insert your DVD+R disc in your DVD burner.

8) Open up your ImgBurn software and select "Write image file to disc". In my window it's the top left graphic of the 6 options.

9) You have 3 things to do from the next menu page:

a) "Please select a file..." from your computer -- the 3.8GB .iso file that took many hours to download (or whatever one you downloaded for your own needs)

b) Click on the "Write Speed" box under "Settings" in the lower right column and select "1x". Yes, this is the slowest setting, but I found multiple BMW posts from guys who had used faster settings and their car didn't accept/read the disc properly. They went back and tried the "1x" setting and all was well. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

c) Click the 'Burn' graphic in the lower left corner -- the small disc on a folded blue page to the silver DVD disc.

10) When it's finished you should have a fully functioning 2010 Navigation disc to insert in your car and use. The vast majority of everyone posting in this thread and from the even longer thread in the other BMW fan forums has reported success after they waited the 5 minutes as directed by their car.

Of course, after you have evaluated all of the improvements this new update provides in the $2,000 Navigation of your $60,000+ premium motorcar, I hope you will gladly drive to your local BMW dealer and purchase the $200 official copy and throw out this free one. That goes without writing -- I know, I know -- but where do you think all the money comes from to pay for those donuts, bagels, soup, coffee, and bottled water you enjoy wilst having your car serviced? Huh? Huh? See, you didn't think about that now didya?

Good luck!

I hope this helps others who were as lost as I was. This is my way of giving back and showing my gratitude to everyone else who shared all the links, info, and tips!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rhnorb
$700 is outragous. BMW can't expect their customers to pay that for a simple map update! I would continue to fight this. If you dealer had any sense, they would at least offer to give you the update at their cost without the labor charge. That seems like it would be a fair compromise at this point.

Update:

Classic BMW has agreed to do the right thing and update my car, free of charge. I have it scheduled after I return from vacation in mid June. I will post the results of update. I hope it helps because I really don't trust the directions I get form the current software. Something is screwy... Classic BMW is stepping up to help me out. I am grateful.

Ken
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by low_ball_88
I am a newbie to this so your help is needed. I downloaded the torrent then downloaded the iso file. The only problem is that the iso file is now a zip file. What do I need to do next? Unzip the file and look for the .iso file to burn? I am a little lost. Please help.
Got it figured out. The iso box in Winrar was checked so it read it as a .rar file. Unchecked the box and the .rar file became an .iso file. Nice! Map works great but the only thing I noticed is that on the map screen, the "i" on the left column is always not activated. Everytime you turn the car on, you have to manually activate the "i" so that the red light camera icons show up. Anyone know if this could be corrected?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
Thank you to everyone who has helped with this thread. For those who were/are as ignorant as I am about torrent and iso files, the order of what to do is:

1) Download the disc you want from the one of two posted in this thread. I'm East Coast so I only downloaded the "Disc 1 with Cams". I couldn't understand why the file was so small until I realized that it's not an iso file (even though that's what everyone in the know was calling it), it's a torrent file. To open it, which then enables you to download the MUCH larger 3.8GB file, you have to have special software installed on your computer.

2) I did some googling and found this FREE program highly recommended on a reputable advice site:

http://www.utorrent.com

Download and install and you will see that your computer (mine is Windows 7) automatically assigns the software program to the small 20k iso.torrent file you downloaded in #1 above. It's a green square with what looks like an upside down white 'h'.

3) Open your uTorrent software and you can drag and drop the 20k file right into the main white area and it will automatically begin downloading the large 3.8GB file. When I first opened the software it wanted to run two tests, and I allowed it to. I also allowed it to automatically bypass my Windows Firewall because it was recommended as a reputable company from my research. All you have to do is say 'yes' and let it set everything up automatically.

4) Downloading the 3.8GB file is going to take quite a bit of time even if you have cable broadband like I do. Mine is indicating 7.5 hours. I clicked on "Options" in the top left corner of uTorrent 2.0.2 > selected "Auto Shutdown" at the bottom of the menu > selected "Hibernate when downloads complete". I'm going to bed so should find the one file downloaded successfully when I wake up. Keeping fingers crossed...

5) THIS download will be your actual .iso file that has to be burned to a "DVD+R Single Sided" DVD. Do not use the "DVD-R", nor the dual layer DVD. Obviously, your computer has to be able to burn DVD's.

6) You'll also need special software that can burn an .iso/image file to your DVD. Again, after googling and reading through this thread and the links provided, I downloaded the FREE ImgBurn program from:

http://www.imgburn.com/

He provides this for free and understandably has a lot of advertising all over his site for other software companies that provide him with a commission. Unfortunately, his own software download link is almost hidden and it's easy to click the wrong link. Scroll down the page past all the images, about half way, and you'll see a blue "News" bar with "ImgBurn v2.5.1.0 Released! Tuesday 16th March 2010" as the most recent post. Click on the "Click here to download!" link and install. (Neither one of these two programs came with Crapware installed with them.)

7) Insert your DVD+R disc in your DVD burner.

8) Open up your ImgBurn software and select "Write image file to disc". In my window it's the top left graphic of the 6 options.

9) You have 3 things to do from the next menu page:

a) "Please select a file..." from your computer -- the 3.8GB .iso file that took many hours to download (or whatever one you downloaded for your own needs)

b) Click on the "Write Speed" box under "Settings" in the lower right column and select "1x". Yes, this is the slowest setting, but I found multiple BMW posts from guys who had used faster settings and their car didn't accept/read the disc properly. They went back and tried the "1x" setting and all was well. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

c) Click the 'Burn' graphic in the lower left corner -- the small disc on a folded blue page to the silver DVD disc.

10) When it's finished you should have a fully functioning 2010 Navigation disc to insert in your car and use. The vast majority of everyone posting in this thread and from the even longer thread in the other BMW fan forums has reported success after they waited the 5 minutes as directed by their car.

Of course, after you have evaluated all of the improvements this new update provides in the $2,000 Navigation of your $60,000+ premium motorcar, I hope you will gladly drive to your local BMW dealer and purchase the $200 official copy and throw out this free one. That goes without writing -- I know, I know -- but where do you think all the money comes from to pay for those donuts, bagels, soup, coffee, and bottled water you enjoy wilst having your car serviced? Huh? Huh? See, you didn't think about that now didya?

Good luck!

I hope this helps others who were as lost as I was. This is my way of giving back and showing my gratitude to everyone else who shared all the links, info, and tips!
I tried this but once I installed the utorrent software and dragged the nav file into the white area, it just sits there. It doesn't show any progress at all as far as the file being dowloaded and the ETA column shows and infinity sign. haha What am I doing wrong?

Quick Reply: BMW Nav update