E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkirk
Agree... And it is foolish on their part. My wife drives and loves her 2007 MB ML350. Last night I was just showing her the new X6. She liked it. I was thinking of trading in her Benz SUV for the X6 since she just went out of warranty. But now, with this bitter taste in my mouth, I would head strait to the Lexus dealer and get her a new RX350. Cheaper and pretty much bullet proof. I love the BMW brand, always have. I bought my son a 2004 325ci a few months ago with some CPO warranty left. But the dealer experience might be a future deal breaker. If the dealer tries to make this right, I will post it. The car should have been updated before it was sold.

Ken
If I were in your shoes I would contact BMW corporate directly or at least speak to the sales manager and then work your way up until someone makes things right (or at least tries to). If nothing is done I would make a complaint at the least. I hate how dealerships treat their customers, but the fact is they do it because people accept it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

I just took delivery of a new 2010 528i a few weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was the navigation wanted to take me home via a bridge that has been removed 10 years ago, and the road closed to thru traffic. I check the software and it is the 2009 version. I contacted the dealer, Classic BMW in Dallas, where i just bought the car and told them the car had 2009 software and could they update it to the 2010 software. I mean it is a 2010 model that I just bought! Here is the response:

" I apologize for taking so long to retrieve this information for you. After finally getting some conformation from BMW, I have learned that we can do a programming episode similar to updating your software,,wich we can perform to update the map system in your navigation unit. The programming could take as long as 3 hours or so. This is a new procedure for the 2010?s so I would prepare to leave your car for the day. With 3 hours of labor and a software price of $229.00 this could cost you $693.00"

Well all I can say is I am switching from a MB E350 to this BMW because I was sick and tired of this kind of nonsense. I love the car... but this is total crap.I will just continue to carry my Garmin in the car. And I will think very hard before I ever buy another new bimmer.

Ken

The 2010 update came out around the first of April 2010. I got my 2010 in June of 2009, so I figured I had to suck up the cost of the update. During the year I used the 2009 version I found many errors...so far the 2010 version looks good. If you took delivery of your car after the 2010 update was available, I'd take your complaint all the way to the top! My Dealer charged $229 plus one hour labor(The SA told me it took much longer but they would only charge me for one hour).

I wonder if BMW went to the dealer only update system since it appears that very few owners were actually paying for the DVDs......
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rhnorb
The 2010 update came out around the first of April 2010. I got my 2010 in June of 2009, so I figured I had to suck up the cost of the update. During the year I used the 2009 version I found many errors...so far the 2010 version looks good. If you took delivery of your car after the 2010 update was available, I'd take your complaint all the way to the top! My Dealer charged $229 plus one hour labor(The SA told me it took much longer but they would only charge me for one hour).

I wonder if BMW went to the dealer only update system since it appears that very few owners were actually paying for the DVDs......

Thanks for the information! I took delivery in April, and of course this is easy to prove with my contract! I will contact BMW directly. If the nav system had been giving me good stuff, I would not have even noticed the software was out of date. I have a garmin with 2 year old maps that works just fine. I was really surprised with the response from the dealer. I need to move up the food chain.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by Moopai
IceyTys I'm glade that you finished TESTING the new software and on your way to the STEALER to get you legit copy
Since you have done it sucessfully, would you kinda tell a newbie like me the step by step instructions on how to burn the DVD once the torrent is downloaded onto my computer's desktop. Does the torrent file need to be unzipped then burned or just a straight burn of the torrent file?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey Metallic 530 Xi E60 Black leather, Nav, Adaptive Xenons, AWD, Comfort access, NightVision, Cold Weather Package, adaptive xenon headlights with headlight washers, PDC, glass sunroof, Ipod, park distance control, retrofited auto dimming power folding mirrors, Window Tint Front 35% / Rear 20%

Damn! can't get the red light cams to work, tried searching for the cam when I parked right next to one. Can anyone help?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by hfx1279
Damn! can't get the red light cams to work, tried searching for the cam when I parked right next to one. Can anyone help?
search the post bro its here.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey Metallic 530 Xi E60 Black leather, Nav, Adaptive Xenons, AWD, Comfort access, NightVision, Cold Weather Package, adaptive xenon headlights with headlight washers, PDC, glass sunroof, Ipod, park distance control, retrofited auto dimming power folding mirrors, Window Tint Front 35% / Rear 20%

I did that already, I went through the entire post, I downloaded the ISO, burned it, inserted to the DVD and I ran the Red cams while parking right next to one and I didn't any cams to come out.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by hfx1279
I did that already, I went through the entire post, I downloaded the ISO, burned it, inserted to the DVD and I ran the Red cams while parking right next to one and I didn't any cams to come out.

Watch the Youtube video posted its pretty self explanatory, if any cams show up in the select list after you do a search youre good. If 1 particular cam is not showing up, then that particular cam could have been put in place after the cam data is collected.

Mine works fine here in Denver.

One thing I did notice from the 2009 disc to the 2010 disc is some of the Hwy showing up on my map are in red color. Anyone else notice that??? I wonder why they did that
Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rhnorb

I called BMW of NA customer relations... no help. She was nice and well trained to agree with you, etc.. but her statement was the build date of the car was Oct.2009, so it came with the 2009 software. She said she could not make the dealer update it for me. She did seem kind of shocked at the quoted price of 700.00 bucks and even offered to put me in touch with the map maker Telematics to see if they would send me a dvd. I told her it was hard drive based and had to be updated via the dealer. She wanted to know if I wanted to file a complaint, and I said yes. I still think if you sell a car as new, it should be up to date with the software. And the 3 hours labor the dealer wants to charge to plug in the car and go drink coffee for a bit just pisses me off!!

Ken
Old 05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

I called BMW of NA customer relations... no help. She was nice and well trained to agree with you, etc.. but her statement was the build date of the car was Oct.2009, so it came with the 2009 software. She said she could not make the dealer update it for me. She did seem kind of shocked at the quoted price of 700.00 bucks and even offered to put me in touch with the map maker Telematics to see if they would send me a dvd. I told her it was hard drive based and had to be updated via the dealer. She wanted to know if I wanted to file a complaint, and I said yes. I still think if you sell a car as new, it should be up to date with the software. And the 3 hours labor the dealer wants to charge to plug in the car and go drink coffee for a bit just pisses me off!!

Ken
$700 is outragous. BMW can't expect their customers to pay that for a simple map update! I would continue to fight this. If you dealer had any sense, they would at least offer to give you the update at their cost without the labor charge. That seems like it would be a fair compromise at this point.

Quick Reply: BMW Nav update