E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d limp mode high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

Hey :-)

It's funny how yours does that at the same speed every time.....

Mine did it once at 240, then once or twice at 230, and then the fourth and fifth time at way under 200 (about 170-180), and right after that I changed the hoses, I did a run and had to brake at 230, but was definately better than a couple of days ago, at 170-180........
The hoses were brand new, with that extra kevlar temperature protection over them, that I showed you.
I'll do a full test after a) the engine is rebuilt or b) I put another engine in.....

Greetings from a cold Munich
Vlad
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM
New Members

Hey

I have simular problem

I have a 530D DPF off, remapped and chipped
Max speed i get is 230 kmh, but only few seconds, and then control is gone.
My gaspedal has got no resistance anymore, untill speed dropped boack to approx 160kmh.
So far i have replaced 3x vaccuumhoses at the time i took out my swirlflaps, but no improvement.

I also noticed since my DPF was removed (actualy made empty, and put back) the sound of my turbo increased a lot, but that seems normal, but i have at the higher RPM, a stange backdraft sound.(like you blow in empty bottle)
It seems to be coming from exhaust, and you can quit well hear it, also from inside car.
Furtermore i notice no loss of power at all.
I have checked with INPA, but no failures ??

So my questions?

Anybody reconizes this sound, and wgat todo about it ?
Limp Mode topspeed ?

Greeting from Holland

Last edited by HenriTh; 10-21-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: forget text
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dvdcore
@zac9999 : keep me posted if you fix it.

I have not yet solved the issue. Tried with several ecu maps and changing all sensors.
Each time i remove the errors with a BMW tester device, it seems the car goes a bit longer about 240 kph, but after the 1st attemp it goes to 220-230 to trigger the error.

Every time is the same 2.5 bar issue.

Noticed the vacuum hoses are again in a quite bad shape, so I will replace all vacuum hoses at next oil service with other ones that have better thermal resistance than the OEM ones.
i replaced all my vacuum hoses and the problem is gone... now i hit top speed 260 with no problem,and limp mode no more ...im happay again
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zac9999
i replaced all my vacuum hoses and the problem is gone... now i hit top speed 260 with no problem,and limp mode no more ...im happay again

Hello from Italy

I second Zac post: I have checked the vacuum pipes and one was broken
Now my 535d is hitting high speeds (250-260) with no problems

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

A MAFS problem can cause limp mode. Happened to me years ago on a separate BMW but that's how I learned all about the car's network.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 535d, Bmw M3 E46 (S65B40), VW Crafter

Also have this problem. But mine occurs at 180km/h.

Have changed a couple of vacuum hooses that was "crispy" but not broken. Also change both electric valves.

But nothing seems to fix my problem.
Have tried several different tunes with no success. Bought my kit from Ecotune and he says its not in the tune. So what can it be?

When i run the car with the OEM file with DPF off function then it works flawless. But when i put in a 340 or 370hp tune then it starts to malfunction.

I also dont get any faultcodes on to high pressure or stuff like that.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by carlos_oliv
Hello from Italy

I second Zac post: I have checked the vacuum pipes and one was broken
Now my 535d is hitting high speeds (250-260) with no problems

Thanks!
i`m glad i could help

Originally Posted by Davajn
Also have this problem. But mine occurs at 180km/h.

Have changed a couple of vacuum hooses that was "crispy" but not broken. Also change both electric valves.

But nothing seems to fix my problem.
Have tried several different tunes with no success. Bought my kit from Ecotune and he says its not in the tune. So what can it be?

When i run the car with the OEM file with DPF off function then it works flawless. But when i put in a 340 or 370hp tune then it starts to malfunction.

I also dont get any faultcodes on to high pressure or stuff like that.
it has to be a problem with the tune,if everything works fine on serial map
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 AM
New Members

Could some one give me the OEM number for vaccuum hoses
Then i will also replace them all.
Or can i use 1x model (unviersal 3mm?)
My problem hasn't been solved yet
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Members

It's because of remap and our cars internal boost monitoring. Boost over or under limit values=limp mode.

I have a ++400hp de-cat, de-dpf version and it's working fine after i resolved this problem. It goes smooth all the way to the top speed now! And I have managed to leave behind a few cars now when taking rolling starts.

Mine was remapped to get 2.2bar max boost and there is +/-0.3bar limit to that before it goes limp mode. Boost is raised above those limits with a little stronger map than usually and when wot at 5./6. gear to near max hp limit (~4200rpm/240km/h) that limp mode goes on. It's just because that buil-in wastegate airlines are too small, so airpressure raised. One other reasen to back this problem up is intercooler, which is also too small. Pressure overheats and raised and that a problem...

What i have done is that i have made wastegate airlines bigger and that resolved that problem. My future plans is also change that ic as big as possible to fit in. Do you have any ideas for ic job? Which model to search for?

My bigger turbo is hybrid turbo and after ic mod i think that there is time to go meet my reprogrammer again. My plan is to keep that 2.2bar boost (witch is now so high because of that limpmode thing) or maybe lower it a bit but get more max power.

Does anyone have a idea, how much there is power potential to get with 535D injectors and pre-lci airpressure?
Because now there is only those things that limiting next. I haven't measured backpressures yet with remap i have now, but i measured it with earlyer map (380hp) and then there was room to play. But what you think, when do i have to change my oem exhaust piping to 3"-4"?At now there is orginal straight pipes + oem mufflers at back.

Last edited by LeMansBlau; 03-10-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

Here's a website that might interest you, regarding an Intercooler, I think the guy changed it for something way bigger ;-)

My Old 535d Project. All ECU tuning by John @ DNA Tuning

But what do you mean by making the wastegate airlines bigger? Fitting bigger vaccuum hoses? Or what do you mean by that?

Quick Reply: 535d limp mode high speeds