E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d limp mode high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

When I read the car with INPA, Part nr. 5 also shows up as faulty, but (for now) I won't change it because I'm having my DPF removed soon and the "DPF-Ignore" software (from the 530d without DPF) installed, hoping it will go away.

I'm trying to find out if the tuner is able to modify the EGR rate as well, because even though I have new vacuum lines, EGR-Valve, EGR-themorstat and so on, the error still shows......

Greetings, salve si mii te ture!
Vlad
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Originally Posted by dvdcore
What do you mean EGR tune. You have it turned off now?
Regarding the throttle, you mean the percentage of how much the throttle pedal is being pushed down?
Not only turned off from ECU but it was physically removed from the car the EGR valve and the throttle body that is attached. There is now in place a 60mm pipe that come directly from the IC outlet to the intake manifold.
It wasn't the EGR that was throwing into limp mode but the new tune, that has different specs besides the EGR, solve it. Now i'm not sure which parameters my tuner had changed.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d E60 350+hp/700+nm DPF off

Originally Posted by Tiago
Not only turned off from ECU but it was physically removed from the car the EGR valve and the throttle body that is attached. There is now in place a 60mm pipe that come directly from the IC outlet to the intake manifold.
It wasn't the EGR that was throwing into limp mode but the new tune, that has different specs besides the EGR, solve it. Now i'm not sure which parameters my tuner had changed.

Can you please ask what parameters were changed in the last tune? Or if the tuner knows which was the cause of the limp mode?
Thanks in advance.

P.S: How is the car pulling now? What top speed have you managed? In the current specs, you probably have one the fastest 35d. A video with the acceleration would be great to watch.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

I will ask him that.

The car is really fast compared with stock. My front brake discs are worn and warped and at speeds above 150kph the steering wheel and the car vibrates insanely. It is dangerous to try a top speed run in this conditions. I've a new set on order but it should take 2-3weeks to receive it. In the meanwhile i will be busy modifying the current turbos (both) with the latest materials available, for faster spool and wider tolerance to heat and boost.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Members

Have you found anything from your tuner ? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Members

@Tiago: Did you find anything ?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me that limp mode trigger is caused by the wastegate not opening as the car changes from 4th to 5th. That's a stuck wastegate or a broken vaccum hose.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

@dvdcore:

Small update:

DPF is out, DPF-Ignore Software is in, the car does not pass 230-235kmh (it didn't pass that speed even with the DPF in place), when I read the codes, I get the exact part you pointed out (nr.5 exhaust backpressure), also my DPF temperature sensor was eaten by a stupid animal of some sort......

I ordered:
Both turbocharger valves (the ones at the back of the engine), and another electric valve
The Exhaust Backpressure Sensor (nr.5 from above)
DPF Temperature sensor
All hoses silicone up to 120°c, and then with a kevlar surrounding upto 600°c

Between 1 - 23 Sept. I'm in the country, (Ploiesti - Brasov), and I'll take the car apart in Brasov (the left side has to be painted as well), and I'll take my time in changing all the above, hopefully nr.5 Exhaust Backpressure sensor is the main fault.

Could you PM me your mobile, maybe if you're in the country as well, we could meet somewhere (Bucurest-Ploiesti-Brasov), to talk about what we found ?
Many greetings
Vlad

PS: Mine has (should have) standard-power (272PS), but the charge boost in 5th at 3550 1/Min is already 2.51 bar.....
So I hope that the backpressure sensor is gone, not that my car is chiptuned without me knowing it....
Attached Thumbnails 535d limp mode high speeds-30072012110.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Members

Part no.5 pressure sensor was changed, and the car is acting the same.
Though the vacuum hoses were changed last year, i see they are now again in a poor state. I want to change them with vacuum hoses from x6 5.0i, i heard they are thicker with an extra layer of protection.

I think the wastegate of the large turbocharger may be internally stuck, though the little lever powered by vacuum is moving while using a tester.

@vlad I sent a pm to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Members

Oh, that's a bugger to hear :thumbsdown: Was hoping it's part no.5

Did you use rubber only vacuum hoses? The original ones (near the turbos) have that extra layer of protection, as it gets very hot near the turbos.....unfortunately they're very expensive at BMW and they don't really know if they come by the meter, or are exact length.....
Maybe you're in luck with your X6 hoses, should work as well....

Just picked up the parts from BMW today, and guess what

They didn't have the support / holder (nr. 5 here) for the 2 turbo pressure valves......do you remember, did you change that part as well ? (I heard the new pressure valves don't fit the old holder.....).

They said the part is not available until in about 3-4 weeks at least Which is of little use, because I WAS planning to take the car apart 1500km away.....anyway hope BMW Romania has the part in stock somewhere in the country....

Thanks a lot for the PM ;-) See you there!
Vlad

Quick Reply: 535d limp mode high speeds