DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Here it is on our own forum :

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...e39-m57-525da/

- Antti -
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Here it is on our own forum :

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...e39-m57-525da/

- Antti -
Hi. Thanks for your help.

I am looking at getting some blanks and then might do the job myself with the help of the guides here.

Thanks again. Will let you know how I get on.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Members

Hi. Me again. Decided to take the plunge. So, disconnected the battery in the back of my 2001 BMW 525 Tourer. Removed all the bits necessary and got my inlet manifold out. Yep, it has swirl flaps fitted. I have removed them all and must say, they are all as solid as a rock. Not one loose one and with the amount of sticky black gooey stuff covering them, I would be surprised if they went anywhere soon.

However, to be on the safe side, I am ordering some 22mm blanks and will fit them as soon as possible.

Most difficult part of removing everything was disconnecting the battery connection on the manifold. Removed it from the solenoid? instead.

I now have 2 more problems. 1st one is that I put all the bits in the boot and closed the tailgate. Arrgghh,..! Because the battery is disconnected I can not open it again now! Grrr.. I can get in through the back seats but would prefer to open the tailgate if possible. Anyone know how to open the tailgate with the power disconnected??

2ndly.. the EGR valve looks extremely dirty and I think it may be stuck? I have seen an EGR bypass kit on E-bay and wondered if it was better to replace the EGR valve with the bypass kit rather than clean it?

Your thoughts and help appreciated. Regards and thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by montauroux
I now have 2 more problems. 1st one is that I put all the bits in the boot and closed the tailgate. Arrgghh,..! Because the battery is disconnected I can not open it again now! Grrr.. I can get in through the back seats but would prefer to open the tailgate if possible. Anyone know how to open the tailgate with the power disconnected??
Hi...solved the tailgate problem. The handbook says to remove the side panels below the rear side windows...open the tool kit flap and pull something. I will have a go when I need to open it to fit the blanks when they arrive.

Any thoughts on the EGR valve - Bypass or clean?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM
New Members

Hi guys, First of all I would like to thank Anzafin for the good tutorial, and all you other guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences.... About 2 weeks ago I have removed the swirl flaps from my BMW 530d SPORT, yr 2002 and I think it has made a big difference, first of all I am not scared that my car might just break any minute, the car seems to be a bit quiter (used to be louder),,, the car is now very smooth and I have noticed that the car burns a little tiny bit less diesel..... Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by montauroux
Hi...solved the tailgate problem. The handbook says to remove the side panels below the rear side windows...open the tool kit flap and pull something. I will have a go when I need to open it to fit the blanks when they arrive.

Any thoughts on the EGR valve - Bypass or clean?

Thanks.
Connect a battery jumper /charger to the points under the hood and this will allow you to open the boot no messing with panels and wires...

If the EGR is caked in carbon, I would give it a clean while you have it off the car...

You will sleep easier knowing the swirl flaps are out and no chance of your engine

Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jay77
Connect a battery jumper /charger to the points under the hood and this will allow you to open the boot no messing with panels and wires...

If the EGR is caked in carbon, I would give it a clean while you have it off the car...

You will sleep easier knowing the swirl flaps are out and no chance of your engine

Hi,
Just did the "swirl flaps" fix, thanks for excellent guide. I plugged holes with bolts and epoxy, and left the rod.
one think I have noticed is: digital gauge for mpg is crazy now. it shows 15-16 mpg and when stationary on lights, it keeps dropping to even less.
anybody experience same issue?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by mjojom
Hi,
Just did the "swirl flaps" fix, thanks for excellent guide. I plugged holes with bolts and epoxy, and left the rod.
one think I have noticed is: digital gauge for mpg is crazy now. it shows 15-16 mpg and when stationary on lights, it keeps dropping to even less.
anybody experience same issue?
It could be the result of disconnecting/reconnecting battery, when the gathered consumption data is resetted. It will take some time until the numbers will settle again.

- Antti -
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
so far I did not had any issues with flaps removed. only today I have noticed coolant leak. it seems thermostat for EGR cooling part no: 11717787870 got broken and it leaks coolant and silver paste.? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=11&fg=50) could that be anything to do with removing flaps?
btw. does anybody know good place to order replacement oem parts apart from the dealers?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 535D touring with M-Sport paket

Originally Posted by mjojom
Hi,
so far I did not had any issues with flaps removed. only today I have noticed coolant leak. it seems thermostat for EGR cooling part no: 11717787870 got broken and it leaks coolant and silver paste.? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=11&fg=50) could that be anything to do with removing flaps?
btw. does anybody know good place to order replacement oem parts apart from the dealers?
Hi Mjojom,

Nothing to do with your flap replacement. I Got mine EGR thermostat broken also. It's an easy piece to replace. Seems to be fragile.

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine