DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Another swirl flaps removed last weekend from a member's car. He drove about 650km plus made over a 300km boat trip to me (and the same back of course) !

- Antti -
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, hello to you all.

I have a 2004 525d (177) which has covered 115k, I am going to be removing the swirl flaps and using the aftermarket alluminium blanking plates purely as it looks a nice neat job and should I experience any issues I have the complete original swirl flaps that can simply be reinstalled. Having read all 16 pages I have the following queries though if you could help:

1. Where is the engine breather filter located (so that I can replace this also whilst doing the flaps)
2. Am I correct in understanding you leave the swirl flap actuator and rod in situ and just remove the flaps only

regards Stew6
Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stew6
Ok guys, hello to you all.

I have a 2004 525d (177) which has covered 115k, I am going to be removing the swirl flaps and using the aftermarket alluminium blanking plates purely as it looks a nice neat job and should I experience any issues I have the complete original swirl flaps that can simply be reinstalled. Having read all 16 pages I have the following queries though if you could help:

1. Where is the engine breather filter located (so that I can replace this also whilst doing the flaps)
2. Am I correct in understanding you leave the swirl flap actuator and rod in situ and just remove the flaps only

regards Stew6
Hi.

If you mean the engine air filter, it locates here:
Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine-breather-filter.jpg

2) Yes.

- Antti -
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Members

Hi to everybody

I'm doing full check in and service to my car and I found this topic in right time. It's from last week I'm reading this DIY and to be honest I read it twice all! I have e61 535d '06 with 110tkm. Yesterday I put on my gloves and started to dismounting the intake manifold. With big surprise I found a lot of oil under manifold all the way down till transmission. I hate this!!!
Took a look at swirl flaps and they were like new but 4 swirl flap casings were covered with oil. The strange is that the other two swirl flap casings were absolutely clean. It took me a whole day to clean the engine and another day to clean egr valve (not much dirt inside) and intake manifold.
Now I have two question. From where is all that oil leaking? Swirl flaps? Why oil in swirl flaps?
I read that someone blamed breather filter. Uff even didn't knew that this exist, so immediately took apart the breather and for my surprise its empty. I have no filter inside.
Is this normal?
Can some one confirm that my engine have no need for filter in breather?
Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributors

I've read some BMWs have had the breather removed, but not on an 06... Best to get the vortex type breather and put that in as a replacement and see if this helps

Are you getting Grey smoke when you put your foot down or when the engine idles?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Members

Are you getting Grey smoke when you put your foot down or when the engine idles?
Not at all. The engine is working like first day.

This are the pics of what I meant when describing one swirl flap casing covered with oil and next one complete clean. It is possible that oil is leaking from swirl flaps casing?
Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine-photo-31.jpg
Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine-photo-41.jpg

And about a breather. This is a photo of mine. It is old or a new one (vortex)?

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine-photo-11.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Contributors

There's always some oil in the intake manifold and intake air hoses and yes it's true that sometimes swirl flap casings can drizzle some oil through.

- Antti -
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mark2710

This are the pics of what I meant when describing one swirl flap casing covered with oil and next one complete clean. It is possible that oil is leaking from swirl flaps casing?

Good to hear re the no grey smoke
As Antti says there is always some oil in the intake manifold / air hoses and the swirl flap spindle / seal can be a source of tiny amounts of oil coming through so nothing to worry about.

Are you planning to remove the flaps as per Antti excellent guide and use screws or use blanking plates? Not sure where your based, but in the UK you can source blanking plates with rubber o ring seals. Im sure others must sell them dependant on where your based... But make sure you measure the diameter of the flaps as there are two sizes.

If you go the screw route the apoxy will help seal the spindle hole to prevent / reduce any leaks

Breather - By the looks of your oil breather its the newer style one, its been a while since I looked at mine though, but its the sponge loo roll type one that causes problems, best way to tell is check the part number against realoem.com (use the last 8 digits of your VIN)
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mark2710

Good to hear re the no grey smoke
As Antti says there is always some oil in the intake manifold / air hoses and the swirl flap spindle / seal can be a source of tiny amounts of oil coming through so nothing to worry about.

Are you planning to remove the flaps as per Antti excellent guide and use screws or use blanking plates? Not sure where your based, but in the UK you can source blanking plates with rubber o ring seals. Im sure others must sell them dependant on where your based... But make sure you measure the diameter of the flaps as there are two sizes.

If you go the screw route the apoxy will help seal the spindle hole to prevent / reduce any leaks

Breather - By the looks of your oil breather its the newer style one, its been a while since I looked at mine though, but its the sponge loo roll type one that causes problems, best way to tell is check the part number against realoem.com (use the last 8 digits of your VIN)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Members

Hi Anzafin,

Thanks again for the great write-up. Received my blanking plates from PMW yesterday and installed them with the help of my "assistant".

The whole job took about 3 hours, including coffee break and an expedition to find a Torx 45 bit for the strut bar.

Happy I did it, even though all my swirl flaps were in great condition. Only downside: I lost a torx bit, which is now rolling around on the bottom engine cover. I'm sure it'll come out at a certain stage...

Cheers & thanks again

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine