DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='852630' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:40 PM
Holy crap!

Your username makes perfect sense now!

What are the down sides of removing that damn DPF?
Down sides, from technical point of view none that I can think of. Only a few positives side effects. Environmental issues, well you figure it out...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Fastdsl' post='852684' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:47 PM
Down sides, from technical point of view none that I can think of. Only a few positives side effects. Environmental issues, well you figure it out...
Yes, you are killing the planet.

j/k...

I absolutely hate the DPF in my car. I drove 1200km in Sweden over the weekend, and it kept cleaning itself which really pissed me off.

What is involved in removing it? Other than the obvious part of taking it off the car. Any other issues?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='852690' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, you are killing the planet.

j/k...

I absolutely hate the DPF in my car. I drove 1200km in Sweden over the weekend, and it kept cleaning itself which really pissed me off.

What is involved in removing it? Other than the obvious part of taking it off the car. Any other issues?
Taking it off obviously, making a replacement pipe with flanges and a place for temp sensor. Yours may not have the temp sensor. I'll keep getting check engine message, but this will sorted by the tuner and I'll get software updated for free. There are some 530d around which don't give check engine light. You might also read this thread http://www.btcf.fi/forum/showthread.php?t=161103 for more info. Look here also http://www.btcf.fi/forum/showthread.php?t=159975
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Members

Hello, I did this mod on my E61 530D 07.2004 model, with 116.000 km , we did it excactly like in the DIY , and everthing went just fine. The car cant run properly, it can throtlle to 2000 RPM then when i push the pedal more then nothing happens, theres absolutely no power or torque in the car. What could have happened ?? Everything is put safely back in place, and every plug are connected properly. No error messages.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by guldbil' post='861249' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:53 AM
Hello, I did this mod on my E61 530D 07.2004 model, with 116.000 km , we did it excactly like in the DIY , and everthing went just fine. The car cant run properly, it can throtlle to 2000 RPM then when i push the pedal more then nothing happens, theres absolutely no power or torque in the car. What could have happened ?? Everything is put safely back in place, and every plug are connected properly. No error messages.
Hmmm... Sounds strange.
1) So you're ABSOLUTELY sure that all plugs and tubes are connected properly? Especially the air tubes to EGR and the plug in the electric valve (part number 11)
2) And you plugged the axel holes in the side of the intake manifold?
3) Did you disconnect the battery while the job was being done?
4) Did you have an air pump moving the rod or did you have an electric motor?
5) You left the air pump working?

I suggest you disconnect the battery for an hour or so and try together. And double (or triple) check ALL tubes and connections.
I suspect the connections, since the 2000 is the rpm when the flaps are supposed to open.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Members

Hello,
Excelent DIY. I`m from ROmania and I have a 2004 E60 525 DA. First, I wanted to check the damn swirl flaps. They were indeed very dirty. I`ve cleaned the Egr and the intake manifold, too. I have the model with ruber over it. So, I guess they are the new modell.
I have carefully read this thread, and I`ve asked some guys that work at local Bmw dealership. They all adviced against. So, that was hardly unexpected.
Anyway, although these swirl flaps really are a pain in the ass, they convinced me that, before they collapse, it should make some sounds wich I should be able to pick it up.
Also, they told me that, for sure, the DPF will have a much shorter life. I am very curios if you have observed something obvious in this regard.
Thanks again for an excellent DIY.
Adi
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d auto(2004)-SILVER GREY Options: Beige/cream leather, maple wood,Bi-xenons, PDC,heated seats......

I not very much of a DIYer with cars. Even let dealer do oil changes.
Does anyone know how much it will cost to have them removed.
I have a 525d auto 2004 may 04 registered not sure of biuld. i don't know if i have them or how to look to find out.
Can anyone help? I'm in UK.

Adam
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amon' post='868751' date='May 5 2009, 08:52 PM
Hello,
Excelent DIY. I`m from ROmania and I have a 2004 E60 525 DA. First, I wanted to check the damn swirl flaps. They were indeed very dirty. I`ve cleaned the Egr and the intake manifold, too. I have the model with ruber over it. So, I guess they are the new modell.
I have carefully read this thread, and I`ve asked some guys that work at local Bmw dealership. They all adviced against. So, that was hardly unexpected.
Anyway, although these swirl flaps really are a pain in the ass, they convinced me that, before they collapse, it should make some sounds wich I should be able to pick it up.
Also, they told me that, for sure, the DPF will have a much shorter life. I am very curios if you have observed something obvious in this regard.
Thanks again for an excellent DIY.
Adi
Hi Adi and welcome to the forums!

I've talked a lot about the issue with several people (and still love to do that), and I don't try to turn anyone's head to remove the swirl flaps, if the person doesn't want to. They can break or they might last. So it is all up to you what you want to do . Depending on who you are talking to (BMW dealers, car mechanics, car owners etc.), you will have several different answers and opinions. I can only tell mine .

I'm almost sure you have the updated swirl flaps since you have a DPF. I know couple of cases, where these updated swirl flaps have failed too. The other was member Hellraiser with his 535d. He managed to remove them before the massive destruction, but four axels were already twisted badly when the intake manifold was checked. The other guy was Finnish if I remember right.

I've talked with people, who have experienced the swirl flap failure, and all of them have told me, that it all happened very fast. Some of them have heard some strange noises from the engine at first, but the failure has followed in seconds.

We talked about the DPF lifetime in another thread too with some members. There I told that "my" BMW mechanic thought that the removal wouldn't affect the DPF lifetime very much. I still don't know the truth. At least I can tell my DPF hasn't increased the cycle between cleaning processes. It still goes trough the cleaning process as rarely as before the removal of flaps. Actually my dealer recommends to remove the swirl flaps (unofficially of course), if the car has already rolled over 100.000kms and if there's no warranty left anymore.

I decided to remove mine to achieve a peace of mind. And I totally has it now. I took my car to an annual vehicle inspection few weeks ago, and the car passed it with clean papers. No changes in emissions or anything.

Let's keep the talk alive!

- Anzafin -
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by adam1' post='869744' date='May 6 2009, 05:23 PM
I not very much of a DIYer with cars. Even let dealer do oil changes.
Does anyone know how much it will cost to have them removed.
I have a 525d auto 2004 may 04 registered not sure of biuld. i don't know if i have them or how to look to find out.
Can anyone help? I'm in UK.

Adam
Hello Adam!

To check, whether you have the swirl flaps or not, is an easy job. Take a tiny mirror and a flashlight, then reach down with the mirror near the oil dipstick to check if you have the long metal rod moving the flaps or not under the intake manifold. It's a tight place to see, but using the light and moving the mirror you should see the rod if it's there. Removing the acoustic cover will help a bit. The underside is full of stuff, and you can only see a short piece of the rod if it's there. There's no any other parts that are as shiny as the rod.

In this pic you can see the metal rod you're looking for (You can also try to find the vacuum pump, which is the black plastic turd on the right in front of the rod):

The rod should locate approximately here under the intake manifold:

Here in Finland some dealers do the removal jobs and I think they take approx. 200? of it . If you're not confident enough to do it yourself, then pay someone to do it. I just say, that if you really want them off, then pay the price asked. Of course try to find someone cheap, but the relief is worth it. And I'm still not saying you HAVE TO or even SHOULD remove them. It's up to you .

- Anzafin -
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Members

Yes we did it all as it should be done, The "little" mistake that caused the problem, where just the induction hose at the EGR that was not clipped fully on ... Now its running perfect ;o) The metalclip did not sit tight.. Now its just fine... Thanks but we found out an hour after writing this.

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine