DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

Originally Posted by -Russ-' post='823118' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:32 PM
When I removed my swirl flaps it was at a very similar mileage to yours, I did have some oil in the inlet manifold but not much, which I thought was normal.

Looking closer at your pictures it looks as if the manifold has been not quite central over the inlet ports, as it looks like the gaskets have been very close to the edge on the right and and well over on the left of the inlets, which might of let some oil blow past.
Also look around the studs at the marks the manifold has made, the shiny ring is not equal around the stud it's well over to the left.

Just make sure it's central when you refit it, I know there's not much adjustment but it does move a little.
I see what you mean about the seals not sitting central - thought its a little odd that the seals are not central as this is the first time the manifold has come off the car so I guess they may never have been seated correctly at the factory?

Howvere I'm convinced there is more oil than there should be going through the manifold. Its all over the place - hopefully just a blocked breather which i'll look into tommorrow.

Anyone else comment on how much oil they have seen in their manifold?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Members

Howvere I'm convinced there is more oil than there should be going through the manifold. Its all over the place - hopefully just a blocked breather which i'll look into tommorrow.

[/quote]

My manifold looked similar to yours, car has done 116K miles, there was also a lot of fluid on the side of the block and head below the manifold.
I cleaned this up before re-fitting the manifold and am keeping an eye on it.
I have not noticed the engine using any oil to date.

Jason
Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='823626' date='Mar 22 2009, 12:32 PM

My manifold looked similar to yours, car has done 116K miles, there was also a lot of fluid on the side of the block and head below the manifold.
I cleaned this up before re-fitting the manifold and am keeping an eye on it.
I have not noticed the engine using any oil to date.

Jason
Allback together and fired up first time.

I then proceeded to take the breather off and it looks very clogged. The foam filter is rock hard and i'm now convinced this is whats causing the back pressure and oil is blowing past the rectangular seals and/or swirl flap seals in the inlet manifold.

I'm going to order the part tomorrow and get it fitted asap before it blows my Turbo. Its worrying that a breather can get into such a state with only 50k on the clock

Jason - i'd strongly suggest you change yours ASAP as this could well be the cause of excessive oil your motor too.

Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Members

Jason - i'd strongly suggest you change yours ASAP as this could well be the cause of excessive oil your motor too.

Good Luck.
[/quote]

Thanks, I had it changed as soon as I purchased the car.

Jason
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='823822' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:51 PM

Good Luck.

Thanks, I had it changed as soon as I purchased the car.

Jason
I should mention that my car which is a 2004 525D with 77K miles on the clock had alot of oil underneath the intake manifold, I had replaced the breather filter when i got the car. I asked the dealer to investigate and they advised that I had a blocked breather pipe which was causing this. I had them replace the pipe and its seals + check the condition of the turbo seals, thankfully the turbo is ok and the new pipe has been fitted. In total i was charged ?163 inc vat.

Fingers crossed my car is ok and nothing else is leaking, get it checked out if you have oil there.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I just took the car to its MOT test (Finland). Everything was fine. The removal of the swirl flaps didn't show up in anyway in the test .
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='852544' date='Apr 20 2009, 02:02 PM
I just took the car to its MOT test (Finland). Everything was fine. The removal of the swirl flaps didn't show up in anyway in the test .
Glad to hear that! Removed my DPF recently and I was wondering did they plug in the OBD tester? Did they read error codes?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fastdsl' post='852555' date='Apr 20 2009, 02:00 PM
Glad to hear that! Removed my DPF recently and I was wondering did they plug in the OBD tester? Did they read error codes?
Why did you remove the PDF ??
Old 04-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='852557' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:11 PM
Why did you remove the PDF ??
Let's just say that there is 364hp/720Nm reasons (after remap that is).
Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Fastdsl' post='852564' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:23 PM
Let's just say that there is 364hp/720Nm reasons (after remap that is).
Holy crap!

Your username makes perfect sense now!

What are the down sides of removing that damn DPF?

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine