DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E46 320D Touring 2003

Hi all!

Two weeks ago I had the "fortune" to see my engine eating a flap...

For now, one piston smashed, 4 valves and the head is sent for repair to a machinist. The question is how to put the intake manifold back. My dealer says that he is just going to cut the remaining flaps and put everything back together, which doesnt sound so good to me because i don't think the "thingy" that is left after removing the flap will hold firmly and prevent income and outcome of who know's what from the manifold.

- can this suggested solution work ?

If not:
- if we use screws or make a plug...
- can we remove the rod completly ?
- does the Vacumm box stay or it can be removed too ?
- if the Vacumm box is removed do we need to plug any hoses ?

I would appreciate help on this matter because we have to put everything back within the next week.

Many thanks!

BMW 320d Touring E46 September 2003. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=11&fg=40
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

It is possible to take the route your mechanic suggested, I would however either:

- Order the blanking plates from PMW (link above) or
- Use self-tapping screws and heat-resistent glue that Anzafin suggests in his excellent DIY

Further:
- The rod: I removed it just to be safe: it has no use anymore and only takes up space.
- I kept the Vacuum box and rod actuator in place, no changes in the sensory system of the intake and therefore no errors and such.

Added bonuses: you could easily reinstall the whole system if you ever would want to...

Good luck with the reassembly
Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E46 320D Touring 2003

Many thanks Theo!

I've seen the head today, it is done. The man that repaired it did a remarkable job! It's like a brand new head. He fixed it and replaced the valves and all looks good now. New piston bought, waiting for the gaskets, rubber seals etc.. from Germany so we can start to reassemble everything. Flaps are cut off and I will suggest to my mechanic to rather go for the Anfazin's solution. Hope all goes well. Will post pictures when everything is done. For now I can only say - If anyone still has them, remove the damn things! My car was in perfect condition, well maintained. The only negligence it suffered is my flap problem denial (won't happen to me story) and this wrecked a perfectly maintained car that went as a rocket. It simply does not send any messages to you, it just decides to fall of with no warning or at least that was my case...

I was told that this is the the least damage and it could have been worse. We looked at the turbo and it seems fine but we will probably be sure only after starting it again. Is there any way to check the turbo visually i.e. is there something we should have a closer look at ?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Members

Hi everyone!
Yesterday I finished the job of removing those damned swirl flaps on E39 525d m57 05.2001
The more I read stories about how someone broke a swirl flaps, the less I wanted to drive by my car
I was going to order the blanking plates are recommended Etienne76 (thanks to him), but I would have to wait for delivery of a couple of weeks, and I decided not to waste a minute and remove them using the experience Anzafin (thanks for DIY).

While I can say that everything went smoothly, and now again I get the pleasure of driving the BMW.

I also did a photo report (37 images) of this operation and would like to share them, where it is better to publish? In this topic? Or create a new topic?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

That's great xbiz!

Feel free to post the pics here! Or make a new thread, however you like it best !

- Antti -
Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Members

I decided to create a new topic.
Now there are two photo reports: E60 and E39.

I hope that my DIY guide will be useful to someone, as proved to be useful DIY guide from Anzafin :-)

My report
Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Feel free to post the pics here!

- Antti -
Thanks a lot Anzafin for publishing this great tread!

Today I did it myself to

I also changed air filter for motor, micro/cabin air filter and the "breather"...

Process - pictures taken by phone...

Turn the heat up, because of the low temperature -5 degrees...

turn the radio on...

open this topic on the computer...

parts ready to install...

changing micro/cabin air filter and taking stuff apart...

also motor air filter...

engine area...

and everything done!!! (except of reinstalling everything back together )

Thanks again Anzafin

You rule!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Looks like you had fun !
Congrats on a well done job .

- Antti -
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Members

So i have finally done it. My 2006 535d is now without the frickin swirl flaps. The job took me about 6H, the trickiest part was to actually break the flaps axes. I used a dremelle to cut it. I have also cleaned the EGR and the part of the intake manifold where the EGR enters. The manifold itself wasn't very dirty, so i have leave it that way.
Now i'm not warried I didn't feel the car less powerful @ low RPMs, a little bit better on the IDLE.
So big thanks to Anzafin for this topic!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Congrats man!

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine