DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I realize the install instructions say 65 41 0 415 655 but all units installed to date have been 65 11 0 403 651 in US (2) and Europe (1) as well. So the marketing bulletin is correct for part number not the install instructions. However, the install instructions work fine to do actual install.

All installs were on E60 or E63 with L7 and 6CDC and all with build dates of 09/05 or newer.

All had CIP 19.xx or later
One did not have MP3 as far as he knew.

Just an observation. 65 (audio) 41 (??) does not fit the typical BMW convention for that part. 65 (audio) 11 (wiring) is more appropriate.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Members

Checked with 2 NYNJ metro area dealers - they knew nothing about the new interface. According it has not been introduced in the US market.

Could someone please clarify with a part number and price?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Part number is the one which is on the information pdf and not the install instructions ...I HOPE so, can Rudy or cobradav or someone with more wise knowledge help us out?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

iPod trailblazers,

Ok, so for U.S. owners, we buy p/n 65 11 0 403 651 and use the instructions for p/n 65 41 0 415 655.

I have a couple more questions...

(1) All who have done this so far have used their existing fiber optic connector which they unplugged from the 6DC and plugged into the new iPod control unit. I don't have a 6DC, but I do have the 6DC prep. The instructions show unplugging the fiber optic loop and inserting it into the piece "H". Anyone know how sensitive these fibers and connectors are?

(2) I had once tried the original Alpine iPod solution on my daughter's Toyota using an Alpine head unit and the Alpine KCA-420i. It was so incredibly slow scrolling though anything on the iPod as to be unusable. Ended up taking it all out and returning it to BestBuy. Bottom line, is this BMW solution as speedy as you can turn the iDrive knob? Or is there a serious lag in communication between the iPod and the controller as to make it frustrating?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

If BMW did their home work, i am sure it wont be that slow, plus I have the kenwood ipod setup in my evo ix and its similar to the Alpine you mentioned and its not slow.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

I think I'll try this. Two questions. First, do I have to permanently remove the CD changer? Also, the install instructions say I need the "CD changer shaft sealing trim" which is not included in the kit. Anyone know the part number? The instructions say "see EPC for part number and further details."
Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by pa550' post='328068' date='Aug 28 2006, 08:51 PM
I think I'll try this. Two questions. First, do I have to permanently remove the CD changer? Also, the install instructions say I need the "CD changer shaft sealing trim" which is not included in the kit. Anyone know the part number? The instructions say "see EPC for part number and further details."

Depends on your definition of "permanent" but yes it does have to come out. And unless you plan on reinstalling I guess that would be permanent. The cover to cover the hole after removing the changer is a separate item and is around $8. Apparently squeezing the plug through the rubber grommet is tricky as well requiring a little finesse. Try stretching out the grommet with needle nose pliers.

One other piece of info. The latest DIY was on an e63 was a 01/05 build. So that says the 09/05 claim in the bulletin is more software related than any hardware limitation. He had already upgraded to an MP3 capability some months back so he was good to go without recoding as soon as install was complete. I believe if you already have 6CDDC and MP3 capability you will not need recoding. Other combos MAY need recoding.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='328186' date='Aug 29 2006, 07:51 AM
Depends on your definition of "permanent" but yes it does have to come out. And unless you plan on reinstalling I guess that would be permanent. The cover to cover the hole after removing the changer is a separate item and is around $8. Apparently squeezing the plug through the rubber grommet is tricky as well requiring a little finesse. Try stretching out the grommet with needle nose pliers.

One other piece of info. The latest DIY was on an e63 was a 01/05 build. So that says the 09/05 claim in the bulletin is more software related than any hardware limitation. He had already upgraded to an MP3 capability some months back so he was good to go without recoding as soon as install was complete. I believe if you already have 6CDDC and MP3 capability you will not need recoding. Other combos MAY need recoding.
Thanks cobradav. I have a 9/05 build and do have the 6 disc changer. How do I know if I have MP3 capability? Just wondering if I should do this myself or let the dealer do it.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

I just called the dealer and order the kit. Without a part number, he couldn't figure out what the cover was. Do you know that part number? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Another thought on if those without 6DC will need a s/w update...

My car has 6DC preparation, but no 6DC presently. If I wanted to install a 6DC does my iDrive just discover it after I hook up the 6DC or do I need a s/w update for it to be discovered? If it does not need to be programmed to discover the 6DC, then my guess is that it will not need to be programmed to discover the iPod unit. Of course, an MP3 usable CIP version is a given.

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can