DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Atlast someone without coding has confirmed the install. Is the part still on hold in some dealers?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d E60 Individual

Originally Posted by pa550' post='330172' date='Sep 3 2006, 03:45 AM
Picked my interface up from the dealer yesterday and had it installed in 45 minutes. Did not disconnect the battery. Removed the glove box door, but did not have to remove the entire glove box. Works fine. Ordered the cover for the spot where the CD changer used to be, which should be a simple install.
I have searched and can not find anywhere what the ipod interface gives you on idrive over the AUX socket connection method?

Can you control the ipod using idrive ? Can you select albums and tracks ? or does it just allow access to playlist already setup ?

As its available in UK now for ?200, any help is welcome before committing ?200 for nothing...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by K2NLY' post='330979' date='Sep 5 2006, 07:39 AM
I have searched and can not find anywhere what the ipod interface gives you on idrive over the AUX socket connection method?

Can you control the ipod using idrive ? Can you select albums and tracks ? or does it just allow access to playlist already setup ?

As its available in UK now for ?200, any help is welcome before committing ?200 for nothing...
It allows access to albums and tracks. My ipod has a ton of albums and artists and on the ipod i can very quickly get to the bottom of the list by use of the scroll wheel. On the idrive however its takes forever to get down to the bottom of the list. So I think you really need to create playlists to use in the car.

The difference between ipod on aux and on idrive is that you dont have to touch your ipod with the ipod adaptor. You keep itin the glove box and the car automatically charges it. And it is controlled thru the idrive selector. Plus the signal is coming off the bottom of the ipod which is better than the signal coming off the pin output at the top of the ipod which is the usual location for plugging into the aux in the car.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Any screen shots from the guys who have this installed. Does it show track and artist info? I think I'm getting confused between this and the Dension box.

Some clarity from you guys would be greatfully received
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

anyone know any dealer in London selling the product?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Originally Posted by Veight' post='331000' date='Sep 5 2006, 04:09 PM
It allows access to albums and tracks. My ipod has a ton of albums and artists and on the ipod i can very quickly get to the bottom of the list by use of the scroll wheel. On the idrive however its takes forever to get down to the bottom of the list. So I think you really need to create playlists to use in the car.
It's even worse. There's a limit of 255 Artists. So if you've a huge music library (I've more than 400 Artists) you'll not be able to select Artists beyond 255 (no ZZ Top so... ). In addition the "500 random songs" will be always the first 500 songs on the iPod... even so I've more than 13.000...

I would love to use a good iDrive integration with an IPod to replace/enhance my XBox/CarPC installation, but this is a too short jump...

Anyhow - if someone uses playlists it might be fine <_<

Screenshots: At www.ipodyourbmw.com you'll find a video under "New Ipod interface coming soon".

regs
Volkmar
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='331044' date='Sep 5 2006, 12:10 PM
Any screen shots from the guys who have this installed. Does it show track and artist info? I think I'm getting confused between this and the Dension box.

Some clarity from you guys would be greatfully received
Here is the way they do the display:

Its not terrific, but it works. They trick the stereo system into thinking the ipod is the CD changer. Instead of disks 1 through 6, disk 1 is playlists, disk 2 is sorted by artist, disk 3 is song, disk 4 is genre etc. You can just put in the ipod and select random and it will give you random songs from your entire ipod selection.

The best method, if you have time, is to premake your playlists. They are then easy to select and play.
Until full ipod integration is designed into the stereo/nav unit, this is a reasonable workaround.

So you might see this: (sorry I cannot help more, these are not taken by me - but from JSpira over on e90post) If I had one I would take and post pic of each type of display.
Attached Thumbnails New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions.  Can-ipod_disk2.jpg   New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions.  Can-ipod_disk3.jpg  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d E60 Individual

thanks guys for all your help with this. It looks like it worth the cost of ?200 after all.

Will order through Batemans BMW tomorrow as they said they can get within two working days as UK now has stock.

Fitting is chargable at 1 hour which I will use due to having to time (kids, wive and reading stuff on here!)
Old 09-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

I have a Nov. 2003 build 530, without Navigation. It has the CD Changer Prep on it. It was updated with the latest software 2 weeks ago. I have seen varying opinions on whether the Ipod interface will work on early build cars without Nav, ones with Business Radio, I guess? I know at a minimum I will have to get the the CD Changer option added into the Idrive by BMW Service.

Has anyone with an early build E60 without Nav succesfully installed this yet?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Members

The instructions at the top of this thread are for installing the kit with part number 65 41 0415 655, which is for the E60 fitted with either a CD changer or changer prep. There is a different kit for use with an E60 without either changer or changer prep, part number 65 41 0412 881.

Does anyone have the install instructions for this kit? I ask because I have a 1-series on order, and I would like to fit my iPod in the changer space in the trunk rather than in the glovebox. The 1-series uses the same kit as for the E60 without changer prep, but I am wondering if specifying changer prep on my 1 will allow me to install the iPod in the trunk. The reference number for the relevant install instructions is 01 29 0 415 102 - I'd be very grateful if anyone who has this could post it or send me a copy.

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can