DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='325738' date='Aug 23 2006, 12:11 PM
will this cancel the CD changer?
Also I don know how it will work without coding as the vehicle will look for a new device, and the idrive wont show the new name (ipod or auc etc) until its programmed, so if someone never had a cip update or atleast not recently then dont think it will work like that...

Yes. It must be removed. I guess you could always sell it...

I'm still not sold on the whole idea. I think we're going to look back on this as an interim fix. I'd much rather see a universal A2DP bluetooth tranceiver with a modular power adapter or inverter install. Hardwire the audio from the brick, and give the brick a bluetooth 2.0 radio and flash firmware support for the necessary audio profiles. Then any bluetooth A2DP device now or in the future can connect. The control stuff should be possible too.

Basically something like this thing:

http://www.atruereview.com/blue_tango/index.php

...only with an optical connector and perhaps some control passing capability. Hrmmm - maybe one that has an iPod connector? That might be cool - then you could just plug it into the factory iPod MOST adapter.... Hrmmmm.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. 30% Huper Optik tint. Sirius.

you can determine if you have the pre-wiring for the cd changer by looking on your window sticker (if you still have it) under the "Comfort and Convenience Features". It will have ""Pre-wiring for BMW 6-disc CD changer and mobile telephone" if so equipped. Unfortunately from what I have read you will loose sat radio with this retrofit. Does anyone else have personal experience with this?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

the guys at vaistech did something really great for Lexus Mark Levinson system,+iPod, i have it in my LX470 and its really good.. www.vaistech.com
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by oubmw' post='325948' date='Aug 23 2006, 03:09 PM
you can determine if you have the pre-wiring for the cd changer by looking on your window sticker (if you still have it) under the "Comfort and Convenience Features". It will have ""Pre-wiring for BMW 6-disc CD changer and mobile telephone" if so equipped. Unfortunately from what I have read you will loose sat radio with this retrofit. Does anyone else have personal experience with this?
According to BMW press releases you will lose the CD Changer, but the SAT Radio would still work. I know at iPodyourbmw.com it says that the mod is not compatible with SAT Radio but in their press releases BMW specifically states that it IS compatible with SAT Radio.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

anyone done the install in their car ? I remember a person getting a system for his 1er, any updates on that?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='325738' date='Aug 23 2006, 06:11 PM
will this cancel the CD changer?
Also I don know how it will work without coding as the vehicle will look for a new device, and the idrive wont show the new name (ipod or auc etc) until its programmed, so if someone never had a cip update or atleast not recently then dont think it will work like that...

I would assume that coding will not be needed if you already have a cd changer and only swap it with the ipod interface. (Menus in the demo-video show that options are not reworkrd showing "by artist" for example, but CD1)

If you have pre-wiring (my case) but not cd changer, i guess you're right, you need to code to have the i-drive showing the new options. In fact, the document attached in this thread clearly states that coding is needed.

Dealer told me they will receive mine in +one week. I'll let you know...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

So far three for three DIY required no coding for the individuals that already had a 6CDC. IDrive thinks it is looking at same device.

You do NOT lose Sat Radio nor anything else other than 6CDC (if u had it in first place).

I will not do this as I have non iPod devices that require Aux In so that's what I have and also retain my 6CDC.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:29 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I'm a bit confused...

I've seen the install instructions at the top of this thread and the brochure in this another thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24556&st=90

I emailed one BMW dealer for a price and the p/n in the install instrustoins, 65 41 0 415 655, is supposedly only valid in Europe according to BMW.

Now the E60 p/n from the brochure, 65 11 0 403 651, is valid in the US.

Corbadav, you mentioned that several folks have alreayd done installs. Have they done them with 65 11 0 403 651 using the install instructions you provided which reference p/n 65 41 0 415 655?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh' post='326267' date='Aug 24 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm a bit confused...

I've seen the install instructions at the top of this thread and the brochure in this another thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24556&st=90

I emailed one BMW dealer for a price and the p/n in the install instrustoins, 65 41 0 415 655, is supposedly only valid in Europe according to BMW.

Now the E60 p/n from the brochure, 65 11 0 403 651, is valid in the US.

Corbadav, you mentioned that several folks have alreayd done installs. Have they done them with 65 11 0 403 651 using the install instructions you provided which reference p/n 65 41 0 415 655?

Thanks,
Tom
exellent question, i had this confusion also and also posted this question in another topic. I thought its different for EU/US etc spec
Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='326053' date='Aug 23 2006, 08:33 PM
So far three for three DIY required no coding for the individuals that already had a 6CDC. IDrive thinks it is looking at same device.

You do NOT lose Sat Radio nor anything else other than 6CDC (if u had it in first place).

I will not do this as I have non iPod devices that require Aux In so that's what I have and also retain my 6CDC.
Thanks for the info cobradav. It's great that the three people who had the 6CDC were able to DIY without coding. However, there is the issue about the 3/05 date. If I remember correctly the document implied that this was for production dates of 3/05 and later. There was also talk of pre 3/05 cars requiring a CIP upgrade that would be available after September (same as E65). I think somebody also posted that pre 3/05 cars that have had the MP3 functionality enabled would work with this iPod interface. I can't understand why any of that would be needed for pre 3/05 cars if they already have a working 6 disk CDC (like my car).

So to try to clear things up it would be great if you could find out the following details from the three people who were able to get their DIY to work without needing a re-coding:

1. Production Date of car.
2. Latest CIP version installed on car.
3. Is MP3 functionality enabled on car.
4. Is the car a US model or not?
5. Does the car have Logic7?

It would be a great help if you can get the three with successfull DIY's without coding to provide the above info.

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can