DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530D sport, CB, beige leather.

Right so I've been having a nightmare with this mod..

Firstly I bought my fob for about £11 from topfobs on eBay, alround nice guy to deal with, had the key cut an I could open the doors with it but it wouldn't turn the ingition, the key goes in ok an then it just doesn't turn, I've tried having the key half closed an putting the old one next to it but it just doesn't work..

I then emailed the seller an told him the scenario an he kindly sent me another blank for half price which was very kind of him, got it cut from another locksmith an again it's the same, will unlock te doors but will not turn the ignition at all with or without the curcuit inside...

So now I'm stuck with a battered original key held together with Sellotape, two new style keys which will unlock/lock an so on but won't start my car..??!. Lol..

When changing over the curcuit im only taking the green part which is attached to the battery an putting it in the new key..??.

Please help guys as I hate the state of my old key... Can't even get it out without my mates laughing at it... Lol.

Last edited by Addyp; 04-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

heres a video i made to further explain my problem and theory Id love to hear thoughts or ideas of why am I having this issue while others and completed this mod succesfully

Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Addyp
Right so I've been having a nightmare with this mod..
strange that your key has not been turning if you watch my video my key turns but just doesn't start if I had to guess even though youve been getting different blanks and going to different key cutters maybe they are just not cutting the key correctly because mines still turns without the chip in it
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by spediegunz
strange that your key has not been turning if you watch my video my key turns but just doesn't start if I had to guess even though youve been getting different blanks and going to different key cutters maybe they are just not cutting the key correctly because mines still turns without the chip in it

That has to be one of the possibilities because my new keys unlock an lock an so on... Do your buttons work..?!.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Yes my buttons work and the key works in the trunk and door and turns in the ignition I just can't get it to start
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
New Members

Interesting... Atleast you can turn the key hey unlike me.. Hopefully someone will be around to sort it out for you...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

I hope so you too
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

very odd. try holding the chip by itself next to the ignition when you turn with the new cut key. i highly doubt their is any type of chip in that plastic piece, i know mine doesnt have any, and i know i didn't have any issue with my new cut key.

i would take a guess at the key not being cut correctly. when i first got mine cut, the very first time i put it in the ignition, it had to give it a few twist before it turned, then no problems after that. i havnt had any issues with this key. my rating for this key after having it for a while would be a 6/10. its a really nice looking key, but started to feel a little cheap. the blade wiggles too much for my taste, and the blade switch sometimes jams. if you put it in the ignition a certain way, it folds in.

their is actually a new style key fob available, makes it look similar to a Bentley key fob, the switch mechanism is sideways like a bentley/audi, from the photos looks to be a better build key fob. it is more expensive, i might have to give it a try.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by roskinc
very odd. try holding the chip by itself next to the ignition when you turn with the new cut key. i highly doubt their is any type of chip in that plastic piece, i know mine doesnt have any, and i know i didn't have any issue with my new cut key.

i would take a guess at the key not being cut correctly. when i first got mine cut, the very first time i put it in the ignition, it had to give it a few twist before it turned, then no problems after that. i havnt had any issues with this key. my rating for this key after having it for a while would be a 6/10. its a really nice looking key, but started to feel a little cheap. the blade wiggles too much for my taste, and the blade switch sometimes jams. if you put it in the ignition a certain way, it folds in.

their is actually a new style key fob available, makes it look similar to a Bentley key fob, the switch mechanism is sideways like a bentley/audi, from the photos looks to be a better build key fob. it is more expensive, i might have to give it a try.

Please send the link to this new style Fob.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

So I showed the seller my video and he told me my problem is that I don't have the diamond key with the immobilizer as pictured in his eBay listing if you look at my key and his key the back is sort of different mine has a circle in the center of the diamond while his has to indents on the left and right side apparently in those indents goes the separate immobilizer chip.

Roskinc what year is your car and you mind posing pics of your board inside your key I want to see where this immobilized is located also if you still have it a pic of the inside of your diamond key

Addyp aside from the fact that your key wont even turn just by looking at your pics you have the same style diamond key as me therefore i don't think this mod would work for you either
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob