DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Message the seller if he might be able to just sent the blade part of the key
Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

contact seller. if purchased from same one i did (link above) customer service is A+ no doubt in my mind he will replace it no questions.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i

I am in touch with the seller, and no, he is a different chap (ec-sells), and he is offering to refund the item, if I ship it back to him. I suppose I will be posting it back tomorrow. Lets hope the shipping cost is not as expensive as the item itself from Saudi.

In the meantime, I have ordered the correct fob from the other seller (topfobs) as linked initially.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
a-Make sure the key is snapped together tightly
b-Mine did this at first, but improved with usage

The whole thing works better after you use it for a week or 2
mine still hasn't improved with usage ;(
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 530D sport, CB, beige leather.

This is a brilliant first mod...

Thanks guys
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Glad you liked it too
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 530D sport, CB, beige leather.

Originally Posted by BallyM5
Glad you liked it too

Firstly thanks for the guide an idea, having problems with mine, the new key opens the door but does not turn the ignition at all...??. Been back to the locksmith an he trimmed it down but will nothing...??!.

Any ideas..??

Cheers
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Speaking of problems, I did this a month ago, everything worked fine but the whole things fell apart one day, lucky thing it did not leave key blade in the ignition!
What I think would be a cool mod is push button start, anyone tried this?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dakest
Speaking of problems, I did this a month ago, everything worked fine but the whole things fell apart one day, lucky thing it did not leave key blade in the ignition!
What I think would be a cool mod is push button start, anyone tried this?
I don't think it's possible and even if it is possible it's probably cheaper to sell your current car and buy a 2006 or newer E60
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

Hey guys I see everyone reporting success stories but for some reason this mod doesn't work for me i got my key cut but when i put the key in the ignition i have no response from the car nothing lights up however I can turn the key but its like i have no power. has anyone experienced this?

I removed the old chip and put it back on my old diamond back piece with the blade attached to it and when i tried it half open it worked. I don't think the theory that the blade has nothing to do with it is entirely true, i noticed with my diamond key while playing around if I slide the chip down a bit to where its not touching the top plastic part of the key around the bottom of the blade(shown in picture 2 & 3) the diamond key wont work. when I move the chip back up in place over the plastic piece (shown in picture 4) it works however there is no place where the chip and the new switch blade key fob touch to make a connection like how they do in the diamond key. I'm really lost trying to understand what is going on here because for all of you the mod works but for me no dice. I'm thinking maybe its because my car is an 04 ??? I don't know

any suggestions any ides I'm really dumb founded heres what ive noticed so far

-the new key turns but doesnt give any power with the chip installed
-replacing the chip back in old fod still works
- if chip isn't touching black plastic section of diamond key circled in picture 2 it also doesn't work NO power
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-photo-1.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-photo.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-photo-3.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-photo-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob