DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Hi guys thought update more info for the other guys asking the questions

the blade cant be swapped over as our blade is different shape at the back of the original key i tried this first but didnt work out..

our fobs dont have the separate chip at the bottom of the key our one is on the circuit board

the circuit board fits perfectly into the new case there is no movement and it sits in its seated gap

i just need to get my key cut alarm all works and closes car

any more question feel free to ask

thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

took about a week and a half to receive my blank key fob from the ebay link listed above. first thoughts, pretty solid material. it is a little flimsy, but its expected of something with moving mechanism, but it doesn't feel as if it will break. nicely built. and DOES come with a bmw logo sticker for the middle. i guess the auction doesnt say it does so it doesnt violate ebays terms of service.

replacing chip was not too hard. like original poster said, get a knife, and start sliced on the middle seam of the keyfob. then with a flat head start prying it apart. test fit the chip in the new switchblade keyfob and test that all the buttons work. for me, the buttons work perfectly! to test it, what i did was put the new keyfob with the chip inside next to my ignition and with the old key i turned on the car. just did this to make sure everything still works fine. found a local locksmith who cut the new key for 40 bucks. i found a few places that would do it for 30 but they were a little out of my way and the drive wouldn't be worth it.

i give it a 9/10. only because the switchblade flips it moves with the release button, so if you dont slip your finger off it quickly when you press it, it doesn't 'snap' up as smooth, but its something you learn to do, then its fine.

i really want to try out the other key fob i posted before, the "newer" style one, but for now, this one is really cool update for the keyfob and well worth the 63 in total i spent. maybe later in the future ill buy the other one see how the switch blade feel on that one.

video of key in action:
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_2907.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_2911.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_2920.jpg  

Last edited by roskinc; 01-27-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Hi mate check on your new key fob once key is fliped out look in the gap were the key folds into if you have a gap there you havnt pushed the fob together as i had this issue originally were it will flip out only if you press it quickly

Once that gap is closed it will flip out each and every time without problem try this it will fix it will take a little pressure to close it together
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hi guys i got my key cut today

Any one in the uk who has brought a blank and want it cut i can get this done for £30

Just post me the blank key fob without the key chip keep that with you for your own security and peace of mind

And a email me a good quality picture of your key both side and i will post back the blank key cut for your car

And then you can reassemble your new key and start using

If you wish to use this service pm me thanks

If any one abroad wish to use this service please pm thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Members

How do you guys get this key open without breaking it?
Threw away the instructions to quickly
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

i used a razor blade and carefully cut around the seam. the way i did it was i kind of just scratched along the seam with the edge of the razor, took a while but wanted to cut it carefully so it can be glued back together just in case. took me about 15 minutes to get it open. maybe a knife and using a saw'ing action on it could work too. i just took my time so i couldn't accidentally hit the circuit, once it was cut pretty well where i can see it gaping. i got a flat head and preyed it open.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spykes
How do you guys get this key open without breaking it?
Threw away the instructions to quickly
Are you speaking of the new one? You should just be able to pry it apart with your fingers/nails
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
Are you speaking of the new one? You should just be able to pry it apart with your fingers/nails
yeah if your talking about the new one i found the best place to start prying it apart is from the top. trying to pop it open from the side where the key flips is harder. i always can open it from the top with my finger nails very easily.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default Lock Smith in Boston Area

Does any member know a lock smith around Boston area could cut our car key ? I got the new key fob but want to make sure that there is lock smith in my area could do it.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 AM
New Members

I have just completed this mod (bought the key fob from the linked ebay site http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-5-7-SE...item3a7aaa0e1f) and I must say, I'm half half about it:

a) I find that the unlock/lock buttons are VERY hard to press - it's as if its rock solid!
b) It seems like the key fob blade is not long enough. Whenever I attempt to twist the key to turn on the ignition, it seems as though the key does not make a good connection with the ignition as a result of black keyfob being too wide. As a result, I have to create what would be best described as an "L" like shape (as if I was closing the blade into the keyfob) so that the key fits in perfectly into the ignition, in order to start the car. Creating the "L" shape takes a little getting used to, but it's a tad bit annoying. If the blade was say 1mm or even 2mm longer, then there would be no issue.

Has anyone experienced any of the above two issues with their keyfobs?

Last edited by mrdunu; 02-20-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob