DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a-Make sure the key is snapped together tightly
b-Mine did this at first, but improved with usage

The whole thing works better after you use it for a week or 2
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

It seems my original key battery is also dead, as it does not activate/deactivate the alarm/remote unlocking. What battery does it take, as I want to replace the battery as well while changing the housing.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by mrdunu
I have just completed this mod (bought the key fob from the linked ebay site BMW 3 5 7 Series x5 x3 Z4 E38 E39 E46 M3 M5 Remote Key Fob Flip Conversion Case | eBay) and I must say, I'm half half about it:

a) I find that the unlock/lock buttons are VERY hard to press - it's as if its rock solid!
b) It seems like the key fob blade is not long enough. Whenever I attempt to twist the key to turn on the ignition, it seems as though the key does not make a good connection with the ignition as a result of black keyfob being too wide. As a result, I have to create what would be best described as an "L" like shape (as if I was closing the blade into the keyfob) so that the key fits in perfectly into the ignition, in order to start the car. Creating the "L" shape takes a little getting used to, but it's a tad bit annoying. If the blade was say 1mm or even 2mm longer, then there would be no issue.

Has anyone experienced any of the above two issues with their keyfobs?
My FOB is in the post currently, so watching this with extremely high interest.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
a-Make sure the key is snapped together tightly
b-Mine did this at first, but improved with usage

The whole thing works better after you use it for a week or 2
Apologies for the late reply, but the key is snapped tightly. I really wish there was softer buttons, currently it requires "too" much effort to push!

I think I just need to wear it down a bit, and see how I go from there. I'm hoping it will get better soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Hi all, I need some info about this mod, I bought this fob and it seems great but my original fob does not have the removable chip, it seems to be attached to the blade.
Is there a way to make this work? I read someone did it and it worked.
Help is appreciated.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by dakest
Hi all, I need some info about this mod, I bought this fob and it seems great but my original fob does not have the removable chip, it seems to be attached to the blade.
Is there a way to make this work? I read someone did it and it worked.
Help is appreciated.
I am not sure, if this will work, as I have not seen how the chipset and key blade connects. Perhaps attach a clear picture of the key.

As a first thought, can you not just connect the two together using a little cable or something ? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by bym007
I am not sure, if this will work, as I have not seen how the chipset and key blade connects. Perhaps attach a clear picture of the key.

As a first thought, can you not just connect the two together using a little cable or something ? Sorry for my ignorance.
No ignorance here, I appreciate you trying to help, see the attachments, my key looks like the first one with that cover at the base of the blade.
The seller says it has to have a separate chip like the second picture, I feel in mine the chip is attached to the base of the blade under that cover.
I like to hear some ideas or suggestion before I cut open the base of my key and mess it up.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img2505m.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-smoothimmo.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Hi mate if your circuit is all one pirce and doesnt have a separate chip its fine it will work as this is what most of us have done our imobolizer chip is mounted to the circuit board
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BallyM5
Hi mate if your circuit is all one pirce and doesnt have a separate chip its fine it will work as this is what most of us have done our imobolizer chip is mounted to the circuit board
Thanks dude, I am getting the key cut tomorrow....
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
New Members

So I finally received my Key Fob today, and I think I have ordered the wrong key. Here are some pictures for comparison:

My key does not have the notches on the sides, but the key blade received has notches as in the picture.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the key fob needs to go back. Please enlighten me.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-picture-01.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-picture-02.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob