DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,
Default DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

i was thinking of changing my key to the new style fob by buying the below
kit it requires opening of old fob and removing internals and putting them into new fob and getting key cut

BMW 3,5,7 SERIES, X5,X3,Z4,E38,E39,E46,M3,M5 REMOTE KEY FOB FLIP CONVERSION CASE | eBay

i went ahead and done this heres a Diy below

get a sharp knife and keep scoring around the line of were the key has a gap and once you have done it enough then try to pry it open

take the circuit board out of the old key and move it over to the new one once done clip the two covers together the circuit board sits in a slot in the new key so it doesnt move around

the key looks great and works great only thing left to do is get the key cut from a key cutter the quality of the key is good too made of hard plastic

the new key is great if your battery ever needs changing in the future you can just open up the fob and change it no cutting it to open it to do this

Last edited by BallyM5; 12-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 AM
New Members

nice write up, thanks for that will be doing the same
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

I remember from your other thread something about doing this conversion might cause charging issues, is this still an issue? Also, don't you need to get the key reprogram or something after you get it cut b/c it's chipped?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by xoeightx
I remember from your other thread something about doing this conversion might cause charging issues, is this still an issue? Also, don't you need to get the key reprogram or something after you get it cut b/c it's chipped?
I would love to know about any charging issues as well. If it still charges then I am doing this simple, and effective mod.

No you don't need the key programmed, the programming is contained in the circuitry - if you are reusing the same board with the same programming then you don't need programming. It's only when you use a new key (with new internals) that you'll need programming.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

hi guys thanks

i dont think it will cause any charging problems as with the original key no part of it connects to the circuit board so i dont see how it charges or will cause any problems

the key will only require cutting from a key cutting shop no programming as the circuit board is moved from original key to the new key

tested the new key to unlock and lock the car key feels great will prob get the cutting done tomorrow

got to say its a great mod simple but looks and feels good
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Found this info regarding tge charging function of the key on another forum it stated that it charges by rf radio signal once its near the barrel the rf signals go to the coil on circuit and that charges key so hopefully by my understanding and the info in pic shows the key blade has nothing to do with charging as its not internally connected to circuit board

Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I think I saw a similar post to this a few weeks back. BE AWARE that even if you get the key cut (assuming the blade is to spec and can be cut) that it will not start your car. DO you see the old blade..how there is a little base to it? Well inside there is something very important. If not paired up with the remote, you get NO START! Sure you can use a remote. That's all you're going to do though.

Think about it. The battery is only connected to the remote. How does it recharge? From the blade and that little chip. As far as RF please not that one is not talking about the actual stereo but a frequency that is probably output by the CAS module (car access system) formerly know as EWS and I'm not so sure about this. I remember the blade having something to do with it but I don't really care to look up sources. Fact is. Good luck starting car even if you get the blade cut.

Last edited by AchtungE60; 12-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I think I saw a similar post to this a few weeks back. BE AWARE that even if you get the key cut (assuming the blade is to spec and can be cut) that it will not start your car. DO you see the old blade..how there is a little base to it? Well inside there is something very important. If not paired up with the remote, you get NO START! Sure you can use a remote. That's all you're going to do though.

Think about it. The battery is only connected to the remote. How does it recharge? From the blade and that little chip. As far as RF please not that one is not talking about the actual stereo but a frequency that is probably output by the CAS module (car access system) formerly know as EWS and I'm not so sure about this. I remember the blade having something to do with it but I don't really care to look up sources. Fact is. Good luck starting car even if you get the blade cut.
im afraid your theory is wrong i tested the key today i removed the old blade from old key tried to start car it didnt i put the new fob next to it with the blank as i havnt had chance to get key cut and it started

tried this few times as mentioned above my theory and testing is correct the circuit board has everything on it to unlock and start car

in the base of the old key is nothing its empty its just to cover the key so the blade doesnt come out

so if any one wants to do this mod it works fine and starts car
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

il also mention again on the old key the key blade doesnt connect to the circuit board so charging is done by RF radio signal near ignition barrel
which will be the same with the new key
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

have you gotten the key cut yet? im curious and you seem to be the only person from searching the net that ive found that has done this. i dont think the charging will be a problem as you stated the blade doesnt touch and circuit and the charging is done from the rf signals or whatever and that copper coil thing on the circuit board creates the power to charge the battery.

im just concerned about the strength of the switch blade as another post i found someone says its not that strong? theirs also another facelift key that makes it for a newer style key, a lot better looking switch blade type that i think i will try and do a DIY but its pretty much the same concept except a little more pricey. just curious how your turned out wit the key cut.

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob