DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Na

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
This worked for me. The new keyfob was $23.64, including shipping. I drimmeled the old key around the groove to open it, then swapped the electronics into the new fob. All functions worked properly. I had a local locksmith cut the key for me for $35, and it worked on the first try. Thanks BallyM5 for the DIY!!

06' 530i built 07/05
Where did you order yours from? I tried getting it from where BallyM5 has a link up, but wasn't sure if the BMW logo came with it, and you verified yours was. I also tried ordering from UK ebay, but i guess its a completely different login. Can you link me to where your purchase site?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW 3 5 7 Series x5 x3 Z4 E38 E39 E46 M3 M5 Remote Key Fob Flip Conversion Case | eBay
Originally Posted by Stanley Siringoringo
Where did you order yours from? I tried getting it from where BallyM5 has a link up, but wasn't sure if the BMW logo came with it, and you verified yours was. I also tried ordering from UK ebay, but i guess its a completely different login. Can you link me to where your purchase site?

i believe it was the same one. The listing doesn't say it comes with the mini-roundel, but mine did.

BMW 3 5 7 Series x5 x3 Z4 E38 E39 E46 M3 M5 Remote Key Fob Flip Conversion Case | eBay
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by bauderline
that looks nice, i am tempted now, any chance you could post a link to the vendor of that key or pm me the details ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards, peter.
+2
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Originally Posted by Stanley Siringoringo
Hi mate the guys on ebay are not showing or saying that they are supplying the bmw logo badge as bmw are hot on too removing any listing and any links to there software at the moment on any site

But it does come with badge seller just trying to cover him self from this
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: Na

Originally Posted by BallyM5
Hi mate the guys on ebay are not showing or saying that they are supplying the bmw logo badge as bmw are hot on too removing any listing and any links to there software at the moment on any site

But it does come with badge seller just trying to cover him self from this

Hey BallyM5, thank you for your confirmation. I just ordered one
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
thanks for the update on the success of this DIY as ive been searching forever for someone to post an update. this is the newer style key conversion i found online. looks really sleek, i already placed an order and will do my own DIY. im sure i can easily find a place to cut this key as i live in los angeles and with all the small mom pop businesses around here, i can get a key cut that says "do not duplicate" if i wanted to lol

where to get this??
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i

This for sure is one easy and damn hot mod... I am ordering one now.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

The link in the first post goes to a auction that mentions this fob will not work with your key unless you have the seperate immobilizer chip sitting at the bottom of your original key which must be removed and placed into the new fob. The first post has no mention of this chip in the original key and doesnt look like the pic from the auction with the seperate chip so whats the deal?

Name:  IMMONOTCH.jpg
Views: 5186
Size:  170.9 KB

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 01-14-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the link in my earlier post(#22) goes to an auction for a key that is a straight bar, unlike the one in that picture. My key has a groove on each side, not down the middle. Mine did not have those inserts and works perfectly. 2006 530i built 07/05
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
the link in my earlier post(#22) goes to an auction for a key that is a straight bar, unlike the one in that picture. My key has a groove on each side, not down the middle. Mine did not have those inserts and works perfectly. 2006 530i built 07/05
He must have changed the pics or something.......... so we can buy this and use it even without the seperate chip? wondering why he says you need the immobilizer chip if you dont??

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob