DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This worked for me. The new keyfob was $23.64, including shipping. I drimmeled the old key around the groove to open it, then swapped the electronics into the new fob. All functions worked properly. I had a local locksmith cut the key for me for $35, and it worked on the first try. Thanks BallyM5 for the DIY!!

06' 530i built 07/05
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-2012-12-22_17-01-54_942.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-2012-12-22_17-02-50_331.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-2012-12-22_17-03-18_219.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_20130103_184119.jpg  

Last edited by Crckrjck; 01-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Curious where you got the small bmw roundel? Dis you just transferred it likecrkrjck did? Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS
Curious where you got the small bmw roundel? Dis you just transferred it likecrkrjck did? Thanks!!
it was included with the new fob
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
it was included with the new fob
Ah ok. Thanks!! Thingking of doing it too
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 AM
New Members

This looks great
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Originally Posted by roskinc
have you gotten the key cut yet? im curious and you seem to be the only person from searching the net that ive found that has done this. i dont think the charging will be a problem as you stated the blade doesnt touch and circuit and the charging is done from the rf signals or whatever and that copper coil thing on the circuit board creates the power to charge the battery.

im just concerned about the strength of the switch blade as another post i found someone says its not that strong? theirs also another facelift key that makes it for a newer style key, a lot better looking switch blade type that i think i will try and do a DIY but its pretty much the same concept except a little more pricey. just curious how your turned out wit the key cut.
hi mate i havnt been able to get the key cut as most key cutters are refusing because bmw use steel metal for there keys and it breaks there blade they got a cheap machine and most i have been to dont want to replace there blade as its £70 or so

i have compared my original key to the new blank the metal looks exact same

if you read the guy i brought it from he says he will refund if you are unhappy no matter what

and the key is really solid once put together i think you will prob get a even stronger metal but that may not be able to be cut at all since most are refusing this one

they are aware of the normal diamond shape blank key brought in by others that has broke there blade so this time most are staying away

whats the link to your one?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
This worked for me. The new keyfob was $23.64, including shipping. I drimmeled the old key around the groove to open it, then swapped the electronics into the new fob. All functions worked properly. I had a local locksmith cut the key for me for $35, and it worked on the first try. Thanks BallyM5 for the DIY!!

06' 530i built 07/05
your welcome buddy glad you liked the mod i cant wait to get my key cut

it does look and feel great compared to old key
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

thanks for the update on the success of this DIY as ive been searching forever for someone to post an update. this is the newer style key conversion i found online. looks really sleek, i already placed an order and will do my own DIY. im sure i can easily find a place to cut this key as i live in los angeles and with all the small mom pop businesses around here, i can get a key cut that says "do not duplicate" if i wanted to lol

Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-%24-kgrhqfhjbefbbzl2j4vbq-bt6s-mq%7E%7E60_35.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Is that a bmw key iv not seen that One i prefer this one and theres one newer bmw key that looks sinilar to mine but they have not made a conversion for it yet
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
thanks for the update on the success of this DIY as ive been searching forever for someone to post an update. this is the newer style key conversion i found online. looks really sleek, i already placed an order and will do my own DIY. im sure i can easily find a place to cut this key as i live in los angeles and with all the small mom pop businesses around here, i can get a key cut that says "do not duplicate" if i wanted to lol

That looks nice, I am tempted now, any chance you could post a link to the vendor of that key or PM me the details ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards, Peter.

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob